Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

I've said several times in this thread that I don't believe it's racial. I certainly don't believe it's a conspiracy.

You've shown your hand by using the word 'disturbing' pal.

If you'd of said interesting, then fair enough. 

Edited by winn_owl

I've always wondered the same: It's general in football: Plenty black player but hardly any black supporters. Dont know the answer:

There are plenty of football supporters from different ethnic groups. 

The fact that we have a relatively low amount attending games on a regular basis is not indicative of a lack of black supporters. 

Its like Winn owl said.

Its not as easy as saying they make up x% of the population so x% of fans should be black or Asian.

I don't know how much work Wednesday do in these communities trying to attract more fans from these backgrounds.

Maybe they dont do enough I dont know.But I dont think its that much to do with racism at the ground.

There probably is a perception from certain quarters that if you go to a football game, then you might be subject to racial abuse. 

On Saturday a lad posted a thread about some idiot within our fanbase giving him abuse when at Cardiff. 

Now I'd like to believe that things like that are few and far between, but there's no denying that football in general still has remaining issues with racism. 

Might be a case that a lot of people think it might not be worth the aggro, regardless of whether this perception is true or not. 

Edited by SiJ

I think that sums it up perfectly. I went home and away from the late seventies until the mid ninties and can only remember seeing a handful of black faces in that time. Hooliganism kept all but the most keen away. Sheffield only had a small ethnic community in those days and this was reflected in our fan base, simple as that. Sheffield is lot more diverse these days but I think it will probably be another generation before it accurately reflects the community.

you musta been on the beer then, cos there were black guys and asians with us, plus a few from southey and the cross

It is indeed mate; by people who don't know what they're talking about.

and you do ?.......you´d have to be very conceited bloke to think your right and everyone else is wrong .it,s a valid thread and some of the replies have been good some have been amusing some have been rubbish but not one as been offensive as far as i can see .