Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

Guest JonTheOwl66

"Ya black get" is an old barnsley saying I believe nothing racial in it. It stinks how you can't say coloured or half cast, whay if you call them a monkey ? Not to mention like most black guys say "my ******" we are so protective of blacks Asian Muslims etc... but we can get called what the duck we like and that's fine really wee wees me off like you wouldn't believe

To be fair this guy also once said he hates gays on here too so not a great surprise he's racist too

"Ya black get" is an old barnsley saying I believe nothing racial in it. It stinks how you can't say coloured or half cast, whay if you call them a monkey ? Not to mention like most black guys say "my ******" we are so protective of blacks Asian Muslims etc... but we can get called what the duck we like and that's fine really wee wees me off like you wouldn't believe

Do they still show repeats of "Love thy Neighbour" in Barnsley?  FFS. There's overstepping the mark and then there's your post. 

I am absolutely appalled by your post.  I'm stunned! The OP put forward a question to debate but that post adds nothing to the debate because its offensive!

Wow! Just Fvvcckking wow! 

Wednesday and United's hooligan firms in the 80s both had a sizeable portion of black lads connected to them. Just saying like.

This is quite true. For what it's worth, I was running with them at that time and most of them never actually used to go to games. Out of our lot, maybe a dozen black lads, only half went on a regular basis. Now virtually none go. Perhaps it was a fashion thing and it was thought to be cool running around town, I don't know, but I think only one goes now.

And here we have it folks, fool of the year.   :ghoulguy:

It's not really possible to accurately and directly compare the percentage of black footballers to the local native ethnic population though, given that a fair proportion of them are from overseas and are effectively just working here. Do we know if they're included in the figures or not? Of our own black contingent only Palmer and Coke are native British and Semedo, Drenthe, Helan, Dielna are foreigners.

The demographic of home grown black players in football has long been higher than the percentage make up of the black population

My point is that because black players from these shores have been (quite markedly) over represented compared to population then why are black fans so under represented

Guest Big Guns

If he's offended I apologise.

He is quite outspoken about Iraq etc, and it was an attempt at humour which has obviously backfired if you've read it like that.

I fully support the Iraqi government just don't like terrorists

Off course I'm not offended I don't get offended on here

I fully support the Iraqi government just don't like terrorists

Off course I'm not offended I don't get offended on here

I'm offended that you don't get offended on here, you've got to be offended Surley?

Makes you a better person if you follow the flock and show your offended over certain things.

After reading this thread yesterday I made a conscious effort to have a look at our fan base last night and I was pleased to see numerous Black and Oriental fans.

We've not got a problem as a club, it's just that the majority of us had SWFC indoctrinated into us by our parents and grand parents at an early age.

The percentage analysis might work better if we worked out how many fans we've got without Sheffieldish parents and then see what percentage of them are non-white background.

People posting on this thread clearly exist in today's world e.g they obviously have internet access or wouldn't be posting.

Yet many posts still used outdated words, some of the terms used still cause offence, to many. I can't believe there is this level of lack of awareness.

Edgy humour is a poor excuse. Edgy humour needs to be delivered by people with some insight or intelligence, and a degree of sensitivity toward the intended audience. Alas, the fools attempting it on here just lack the ability to deliver, and I suspect just come across as failing, some are definitely offensive.

I can't help but arrive at the conclusion that ignorance is still rife.

Even the site moderators are oblivious or condoning, either way a pitiful thread and does not put Owlstalkers in a good position.

Sad...

... And the original question asked why our fan base does not have a reflective number of BME members. Think this thread has answered why - resoundingly.

Edited by F. Spiksley