Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

Guest Steve French

Merely saying that if something is on your doorstep you're more likely to use it.

Is that true? I have a Co-Op within walking distance but I still drive to a proper supermarket to shop for anything but essentials. Doesn't everyone?

So no. Not really. You basically just said black people are poor and can't afford decent housing or transport so they watch the Blades. Face it. You said it.

SHUowl where then?

blackpool no

burnley- no

Bolton n0

wigan-no

Cardiff-no

Bournemouth no

middlesborough-no

Ipswich-n0

the list goes on bar London, maybe forest and brum

My argument is that the club aren't attracting people as well as SUFC which is evident at games.

I'm not saying other clubs have huge BME fan bases, nor would I have been able to see them in the ground considering how far away you sit (especially at Bolton).

Is that true? I have a Co-Op within walking distance but I still drive to a proper supermarket to shop for anything but essentials. Doesn't everyone?

So no. Not really. You basically just said black people are poor and can't afford decent housing or transport so they watch the Blades. Face it. You said it.

Are you on the wind up?

haha ricky- once came bouncing up to me saying come on Norwich- so I replied come on Norwich, repeated at each other a few times till he realised what I was saying back, with his puzzle look I explained he looked more like Norwich with a green and yellow bandana on. He walked off alittle puzzled the clown

No.

I said the people I know.

Which admittedly is a tiny percentage of the black ,mixed race and ethnic make up of the City.

But of course you know that.

Must try harder.

Edited by DEH9

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Guest Steve French

No.

I said the people I know.

Which admittedly is a tiny percentage of the black ,mixed race and ethnic make up of the City.

But of course you know that.

Must try harder.

Must try harder? Me?

Says the bloke who generalised that black people all support the Blades because they all live within walking distance of their ground, based entirely upon a few mates he knows who happen to be black and Blades.

Not generalising much eh?

Must try harder? Me?

Says the bloke who generalised that black people all support the Blades because they all live within walking distance of their ground, based entirely upon a few mates he knows who happen to be black and Blades.

Not generalising much eh?

Very poor.

And I know it's not because you can't read because my first post is very clear.

But don't let that stop you.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

SHUowl- prob to do with the fact there ground is in the centre of that community

I know Viola, that was my first point.

I'm just saying that we work as much with FURD as SUFC do.

1) because it's a great organisation.

2) because they actually have good players (Kyle Walker came through FURD)

3) because it presents people with a choice of club rather than only ever seeing a SUFC badge in their areas.

4) because we might just Nick a few more fans.

5) because (and yes it's the same as point 1) it's a great thing to do within the community.

Last I spoke with someone from FURD (albeit about 18 months ago) they were establishing a project in Westfield. That's not near Bramhall lane, but that didn't mean there wasn't work to do.

we had a black lad back in the 60s who was bit tasty in a ruck ,hubert i think he was called ........as for why we dont get many nowadays i have no idea could be that we draw a lot of support from the old south yorkshire coal towns which contain very few black people .most of us are second /third genaration family supporters something the present day black & asian lot dont have .

How many of our black players are from Sheffield though? Or English, for that matter.

I would imagine there's a link between the lack of interest and the few players who are coming through. I don't think it's a race issue, it's probably more of a marketing one, and not just with other ethnic groups. I don't think we can just rely on support from the local community, it's that corner shop thinking that has held us back for so long