Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

God this thread is ;laborious.

Lets just get all the racism folks have been hinting at out the way shall we.

• Black people don't go to the games because they are too busy listening to booming music, selling drugs in and grinding hoes
  • Midde aged Pakistani men people don't go because Saturdays are a great day when folks are at football is a great time to groom young lasses in care of Social services for sexual exploit.
  • Arabs don't go to games here because being prince of small country means you can usually get top corporate tickets at A Champions League game.
  • Chinese people don't go because they can only see half the pitch and their tightness means they work all Saturdays 52 weeks a year.
  • Teenage Asian boys don't go to games because they are trying to be as cool as young Black men. Who don't go games.
  • Teenage Black boys don't go to games because they'd rather spend their money on swag.
  • Mixed race boys don't go to games as this tradition is passed on from father to son and non of them know their dads.
  • Africans don't go to Hillsborough as there is not much need for buying Chupa Chups in the toilets and a splash of CK one on match day.
  • Muslim girls don't go to Hillsborough because they are treated as second class citizens. Also they can't see through the letter boxes.

blah blah blah.

Edited by Lord Snooty

I've not read the majority of this thread so I'll just have to imagine what the previous 17 pages entail...

The only explanation I can think of is that football, especially in Sheffield, has historically been a white, working class leisure activity and that's just the way it has remained as the years have gone by. 

When families emigrated to England in the 50s and 60s, they would most likely have settled down south originally before moving up north. They couldn't exactly sail directly into Sheffield so would therefore support either the big teams down there, or the big teams elsewhere, as is still the case with many people.

Yes, there are a large number of black or mixed race players in not only our squad but up and down the country and that's just the way the game itself has progressed with many players coming from abroad to ply their trade in England.

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with racism. If more black or mixed race people want to come and watch Wednesday then fantastic, if not, then that's just the way it is. 

A few of my mates are mixed race. Some go quite regular & sit on the south or kop end of tbe north. Two of my other mixed race friends went to the Millwall game & sat on the Lep end of the North & heard nothing but racist remarks thrown at both the opposition players & ours. Put them off going again. I told them if they sat somewhere else it'd be different but they nor I should have to listen to it anywhere. No place for it anywhere in society.

Guest Phoenix

Haven't read all 18 pages but I'm the guy that started the huge 'Racism' thread after an ignorant fan said some ignorant things to me during the Cardiff game at the weekend.

Bit of background - I'm mixed race, born in Sheffield but brought up in London. The entire of my Dad's family are from Sheffield and are Owls. Therefore naturally I was one as well. Picture how difficult it is to grow up in North London in the 90s as a Wednesday fan - especially when they got relegated at the turn of the century...

It's difficult for me to get to matches as it's so expensive - but I try to go to all the away matches down South and you can find me every match day with my headphones on glued to Wednesday player.

That's the first time in my years of supporting Wednesday that I've ever had anything racist said to me at a match - and I'm hoping it was the last. Apologies for mocking him for being ginger but I found hard it not to when he seemed to take an aversion to my appearance!

Hopefully it'll be the last. I've always found Wednesday fans to be unbelievably friendly and welcoming and I hope that will never change.

1736727_1485542845006281_2004663071_n.jp

Edited by Phoenix

Haven't read all 18 pages but I'm the guy that started the huge 'Racism' thread after an ignorant fan said some ignorant things to me during the Cardiff game at the weekend.

Bit of background - I'm mixed race, born in Sheffield but brought up in London. The entire of my Dad's family are from Sheffield and are Owls. Therefore naturally I was one as well. Picture how difficult it is to grow up in North London in the 90s as a Wednesday fan - especially when they got relegated at the turn of the century...

It's difficult for me to get to matches as it's so expensive - but I try to go to all the away matches down South and you can find me every match day with my headphones on glued to Wednesday player.

That's the first time in my years of supporting Wednesday that I've ever had anything racist said to me at a match - and I'm hoping it was the last. Apologies for mocking him for being ginger but I found hard it not to when he seemed to take an aversion to my appearance!

Hopefully it'll be the last. I've always found Wednesday fans to be unbelievably friendly and welcoming and I hope that will never change.

1736727_1485542845006281_2004663071_n.jp

Without sounding cheesie, corny, the only thing I can see in the photos is a lad with a Wednesday shirt on, colour doesn't even come into mate.

I posted in the other thread that you started and got slated from loads off of here, I hope you personally didn't take offence to my first reply.

Guest Phoenix

Without sounding cheesie, corny, the only thing I can see in the photos is a lad with a Wednesday shirt on, colour doesn't even come into mate.

I posted in the other thread that you started and got slated from loads off of here, I hope you personally didn't take offence to my first reply.

Not at all mate - appreciate the comments.

True. But it's a bit like saying there's no room in society for burglars. There's always going to be nobheads about.

According to various surveys done down the years, about 30% of people admit to being racist so lets not kid ourselves that it's a few idiots as it clearly isn't. In my experience more white English (I don't know how else to describe them/us) people do make what would be perceived as racist comments, whether through ignorance or outright racism. 

According to various surveys done down the years, about 30% of people admit to being racist so lets not kid ourselves that it's a few idiots as it clearly isn't. In my experience more white English (I don't know how else to describe them/us) people do make what would be perceived as racist comments, whether through ignorance or outright racism.

Never said it was only a few idiots.