Leighton Palmer

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I met one our neighbours for the first time last weekend and I noticed one of their kids running around with a football so we got talking about it. He’s originally from Cape Town, but when I mentioned me being a Wednesday fan he said: “I remember how good they were. A top team. They had Carlton Palmer!”

I was a bit taken aback with that being the first name that came to mind for him!

Was he also aware that he smokes Marijuana? 😆

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Kevowls1 said:

A lot of stats are available these days showing the miles run, tackles won ect. I think had they been available then people would have been able to value him more.

Fantastic player, overshadowed by some the G.O.A.T.'s at Wednesday: Waddle, Hirst and Sheridan.

That's why 99% of the central midfielders we've had over the past 30 years all look weak and lazy, compared to Carlton Palmer.

Never replaced. Bannan and Semedo are the only players who have come close on work rate in 30 years I would say. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bukta said:

Brilliant club player and played a massive part of our success in the 90’s……but.the fact that he got 18 caps shows how poor that England side was. 

You say he was a brilliant club player in a team at the top end of the top flight.....why does that show how poor the England side was?

Englands current keeper is playing for a club battling relegation.....does that mean the current England side is poo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Django said:

He does come across that way doesn’t he 

Went to the evening at the crucible with him, Hirst, Waddle and Sheridan 

He was wasted by the end and a few times was getting very agitated that the staff weren’t bringing him more booze.

To be honest I wasn’t impressed with Hirst either, seemed to think it was hilarious that he was always injured and p*ssed all the time, maybe if they were a little more professional that team of undoubted talent might have won a few more trophies 

Totally agree with this. I'd read Carlton's autobiography so half expected his performance that night. I thought he was wasted quite a bit before the end and his behaviour seemed to be annoying the other three.

Hirsty as a player was an absolute hero to me. I was very disappointed in his attitude that night. I know the drinking was part of society culture then, and I certainly like a drink. But if I'd turned up to work p155ed in 1990 like he said he did, I would have been sacked. 

David was outrageously crippled by Bould, and played with some bad injuries for the rest of his career, so maybe I can understand why he took to drinking the way he did. And it was painful watching him try to walk that night. 

Francis tried to instil a more professional off-pitch culture but failed presumably due to his truly appalling man management.

Still, wonderful times, some of the best in my 5 decades watching Wednesday. And they were all players it was a pleasure to watch playing for us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Since 1971 said:

Totally agree with this. I'd read Carlton's autobiography so half expected his performance that night. I thought he was wasted quite a bit before the end and his behaviour seemed to be annoying the other three.

Hirsty as a player was an absolute hero to me. I was very disappointed in his attitude that night. I know the drinking was part of society culture then, and I certainly like a drink. But if I'd turned up to work p155ed in 1990 like he said he did, I would have been sacked. 

David was outrageously crippled by Bould, and played with some bad injuries for the rest of his career, so maybe I can understand why he took to drinking the way he did. And it was painful watching him try to walk that night. 

Francis tried to instil a more professional off-pitch culture but failed presumably due to his truly appalling man management.

Still, wonderful times, some of the best in my 5 decades watching Wednesday. And they were all players it was a pleasure to watch playing for us.

There definitely was a booze culture back then. It’s mentioned in most under the cosh podcasts 

Just find it a shame that his party piece is a story of him playing against Man City after 7 glasses of champagne, scoring, going in goal and keeping a clean sheet. I’d rather have heard stories about he fired SWFC to glory 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bukta said:

Brilliant club player and played a massive part of our success in the 90’s……but.the fact that he got 18 caps shows how poor that England side was. 

Bullshiit, he was good enough to play for England in lots of eras 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Since 1971 said:

Here's the thing though. Can we really criticise these players after 30 years bitter experience? 

Is it fair to criticise Francis man management looking back? He main battle was trying to rain in a drinking culture, which was part of football as a whole. His biggest problem was he wasn't Ron Atkinson, but that was also his biggest opportunity, to move that team forward.

And let's be fair, Ron certainly didn't keep a lid on the drinking culture at Wednesday when he assembled that team.

Neither those players or  have been bettered since 1993, and we're light years away from competing at that level now.

Yes, Hirst, Sheridan and Palmer may have been raging alcoholics, and so were Tony Adams and Paul Merson, who were also addicted to class A drugs. That was 80/90s football. 

The players today are more honest in many respects, but the unpredictability of play and results has faded. That's what made 80/90s football more entertaining, and for Wednesday, a whole lot more successful than we've been in the 30 years since those days. 

The unpredictabilty is a quality I admire in Röhl's Wednesday. We're more dynamic, and his ethos is it's down to the players to make the decisions on the football pitch. 

Sheridan, Palmer, Harkes and Waddle made those decisions on the pitch for Wednesday 30 years ago. Hirst and Bright pulled the trigger on those chances.

There were no passengers in that team. Nilson and Worthington would bomb down the wings as full backs, creating chances and defending steadfastly. Pearson and Shirtliff would dominate set prices defensively and offensively. Winning a corner was as good as getting a chance on goal in those days. 

And in Goal, we had Britons first  £1m goal keeper in Chris Woods. Englands number 1, which we all quickly knew after he'd signed from Glasgow Rangers wasn't as good as Kevin Pressman. What on earth was he was thinking as Andy Linegan rose for that header in injury time, at the end of extra time, at the end of an FA Cup final replay... lord only knows. Decisions,  Decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

Bullshiit, he was good enough to play for England in lots of eras 

As brilliant as he was for us in midfield, I thought his best position was centre half. He may have looked ungainly in midfield, but he looked like a Rolls Royce at centre half. 

4 minutes ago, Nut said:

As brilliant as he was for us in midfield, I thought his best position was centre half. He may have looked ungainly in midfield, but he looked like a Rolls Royce at centre half. 

I remember him standing in at centre half for England and marking Jean Peirre Papin who was Europe's top scorer and never gave him a kick...years later Papin said he was the best defender he ever played against 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, myHero said:

That's why 99% of the central midfielders we've had over the past 30 years all look weak and lazy, compared to Carlton Palmer.

Never replaced. Bannan and Semedo are the only players who have come close on work rate in 30 years I would say. 

Close but no cigar. CP levels above those 2 albeit Bazza and Jose the best of their day. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Django said:

He does come across that way doesn’t he 

Went to the evening at the crucible with him, Hirst, Waddle and Sheridan 

He was wasted by the end and a few times was getting very agitated that the staff weren’t bringing him more booze.

To be honest I wasn’t impressed with Hirst either, seemed to think it was hilarious that he was always injured and p*ssed all the time, maybe if they were a little more professional that team of undoubted talent might have won a few more trophies 

Yep, see it exactly the same way 

1 hour ago, myHero said:

Here's the thing though. Can we really criticise these players after 30 years bitter experience? 

Is it fair to criticise Francis man management looking back? He main battle was trying to rain in a drinking culture, which was part of football as a whole. His biggest problem was he wasn't Ron Atkinson, but that was also his biggest opportunity, to move that team forward.

And let's be fair, Ron certainly didn't keep a lid on the drinking culture at Wednesday when he assembled that team.

Neither those players or  have been bettered since 1993, and we're light years away from competing at that level now.

Yes, Hirst, Sheridan and Palmer may have been raging alcoholics, and so were Tony Adams and Paul Merson, who were also addicted to class A drugs. That was 80/90s football. 

The players today are more honest in many respects, but the unpredictability of play and results has faded. That's what made 80/90s football more entertaining, and for Wednesday, a whole lot more successful than we've been in the 30 years since those days. 

The unpredictabilty is a quality I admire in Röhl's Wednesday. We're more dynamic, and his ethos is it's down to the players to make the decisions on the football pitch. 

Sheridan, Palmer, Harkes and Waddle made those decisions on the pitch for Wednesday 30 years ago. Hirst and Bright pulled the trigger on those chances.

There were no passengers in that team. Nilson and Worthington would bomb down the wings as full backs, creating chances and defending steadfastly. Pearson and Shirtliff would dominate set prices defensively and offensively. Winning a corner was as good as getting a chance on goal in those days. 

And in Goal, we had Britons first  £1m goal keeper in Chris Woods. Englands number 1, which we all quickly knew after he'd signed from Glasgow Rangers wasn't as good as Kevin Pressman. What on earth was he was thinking as Andy Linegan rose for that header in injury time, at the end of extra time, at the end of an FA Cup final replay... lord only knows. Decisions,  Decisions.

Agree with all of this, very well put.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pete Zarhutt said:

Another one who was treated with derision by most other fans, simply because 'he didn't look the part'.

Those who watched him every week knew his true value.

Correct.

Look at Declan Rice for example. Is he as good as Palmer was? Yet has 30+ England caps already and was sold for 100m+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1