Leighton Palmer

13 hours ago, Ian said:

You say he was a brilliant club player in a team at the top end of the top flight.....why does that show how poor the England side was?

Englands current keeper is playing for a club battling relegation.....does that mean the current England side is poo

I think you completely missed my point.

Just look at the lack of quality in that squad:-

Chris Woods

Keith Curle

Stuart Pearce

Martin Keown

Des Walker

Mark Wright

David Platt

Trevor Steven

Nigel Clough

Gary Lineker

Andy Sinton

Carlton Palmer

Nigel Martyn

Tony Dorigo

Neil Webb

Paul Merson

Alan Smith

Tony Daley

David Batty

Alan Shearer

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

I remember him standing in at centre half for England and marking Jean Peirre Papin who was Europe's top scorer and never gave him a kick...years later Papin said he was the best defender he ever played against 

This..................when all those southern journalists lazily and routinely pick him in their worst England XI they should do their due diligence.

Papin was the ballon d`or holder going into this game and Carlton never gave him a kick , he received MOM and indeed got the travelling England supporters vote as England`s player of the tournament.....................worst ever my ar*e.

As a midfielder , I accept he was a technically a bit short for a midfield spot...but as a sweeper in a back three he was the best we had at that time , Taylor just rarely used the right tactics after abandoning the 3 at the back from Italia 90 far too quickly.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

This..................when all those southern journalists lazily and routinely pick him in their worst England XI they should do their due diligence.

Papin was the ballon d`or holder going into this game and Carlton never gave him a kick , he received MOM and indeed got the travelling England supporters vote as England`s player of the tournament.....................worst ever my ar*e.

As a midfielder , I accept he was a technically a bit short for a midfield spot...but as a sweeper in a back three he was the best we had at that time , Taylor just rarely used the right tactics after abandoning the 3 at the back from Italia 90 far too quickly.

He may well have been the best centre back in Europe at the time...

However, he was streets ahead of most central midfielders of the day because of his work rate up and down the field. 

Ironically, he only ended up playing at CB in the three cup finals we played in 93 due to the injuries we had at CB, and the fact that Francis had turned Paul Warhurst from CB into our most prolific striker that season. 

Thinking of Carlton as a centre back for me doesn't do him justice, and also reminds me of his defensive error in the 93 League Cup final, playing in a position he wasn't familiar with at that time. 

For me, he's always remembered  as that marauding, box to box midfielder which we've lacked for 30 years.

• Like 3