Röhl to tackle set piece defending

1 hour ago, owlsdreamer said:

Hea , let’s ask Moore’s advice FFS.

Last season we conceded fewer goals from set pieces than anyone in the league...how have we gone from that to this season?? FFS 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I just can’t see him having time now to make any difference to it with 6 games left. He needs players (in the summer) to make a difference imo. 

He needed coaches to sort it at Christmas/ New Year

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Howards back said:

I thought we had a set piece coach. 

We have so many coaches that it would be amazing if we didn't. 

1 hour ago, maldino2004 said:

At this level of football I definitely feel a need for a commanding, ball winning centre half in the mould of an Aden Flint, Miguel Liera, or Rob Jones type of player. I think that’s what we have been sadly lacking this season. 

I also think that it can make a big difference if you have your centre half’s chipping in with a few goals throughout the season. 

Diaby was supposed to be that guy I suppose but he spent recent years struggling at Barnsley while the supporters were told he was a PNE player where we had been impressed with Storey whom we successfully but only briefly replaced with McGuinness.

Should be a fundamental but I think set plays reflect the attitude of a team. How up for the battle they are. If we go down as suspected now that is a building block for any team trying to make top six in L1

3 hours ago, maldino2004 said:

At this level of football I definitely feel a need for a commanding, ball winning centre half in the mould of an Aden Flint, Miguel Liera, or Rob Jones type of player. I think that’s what we have been sadly lacking this season. 

I also think that it can make a big difference if you have your centre half’s chipping in with a few goals throughout the season. 

Yeah but when we have one of those types, they’re ’too slow’ usually for first team Championship football. Or can’t pass. Or both. Or only defend well against certain teams…. Say a fair few of our fan base it seems. 

“EHHH - AV SEEN CEMENT TURN QUICKER THAN ‘IM OVVA THEEYER” etc etc 

He might want to suggest our defenders, when defending, don't concentrate on holding a players shirt but marking the player and watching the ball. And when it's our attacking option he could suggest not trying to hold a players shirt and trying to jump from a standing start but have a couple making runs to actually meet the ball and be able to jump higher. Just a suggestion or two... 

5 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

He should give Moore a ring... the season before last we conceded a lot of goals from set pieces...last season we hardly conceded any

Good point but you also have to admit it was easier in League 1 where quality of players and level of coaching is of a far lower standard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Last season we conceded fewer goals from set pieces than anyone in the league...how have we gone from that to this season?? FFS 

went up a level. and its a big leap.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

He should give Moore a ring... the season before last we conceded a lot of goals from set pieces...last season we hardly conceded any

This!

One of Moore's biggest achievements was the turnaround in our set-pieces. 

So after taking the job on over 5 months ago, he's decided to concentrate on defending set pieces for the last 6 games.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

So after taking the job on over 5 months ago, he's decided to concentrate on defending set pieces for the last 6 games.

What could possibly go wrong?

I am pretty sure that this isn't new information, set pieces been a struggle all season.

No matter how much you work on in training, if players just switch off and not committed to winning the ball, we are going to get punished.