WINDASS AGAIN

I seem to remember Windass saying that he was accused of being injury prone, to which he has he wasn’t…

So what is he then? 

It’s completely ridiculous that injuries hit him every season, misses numerous games, comes back and repeat.

I like him, he makes a big difference when he plays, but he can’t keep fit.

He’s not injury prone tho.

38 minutes ago, Jim said:

Another potential Luongo situation but the bottom line, he stays here and it’ll be more of the same. I think it’s the facilities personally. They’re not fit for purpose at a professional football club in the modern game.

Thats an interesting point.

Just checked on Wikipedia

2019–2022 Sheffield Wednesday - appearances -  64(4)

2023–Ipswich Town - appearances -  49 (4)

Hes only made 16 appearances less for Ipswich already, and hes only been there just over a year.

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

The bigger questions and the bigger picture for me is....

• Why do we keep having players with long term or recurring injuries?
  • Why does our squad always seem to be ravaged by (similar type) injuries?

Is it recruitment not picking up on it
Is it caused by the training facilities
Is it caused by training methods
Something else or all of the above?

I was reading about Citees regime. They have a machine that “prods” the pitch so they can assess different parts of it and the likelihood of certain injuries being caused. We’ve got Jim with a fork.  I think our facilities are part of it but there are certain players that are more prone than others. Tempting fate but the likes of Bazza and Palmer, who have both been here years, seem to miss few games compared with others. And Bazza must put in more miles than anyone, week after week.

• Like 2

I think Windass is more than capable of operating at this level and the stick he gets is a bit unfair IMO

That said he’s now 30 and has only averaged 26 appearances per season for us in all competitions since he joined, which suggests he’s missed approx 50% of the games which really isn’t good enough. 

Totally agree he could be another Luongo but regardless of which division we’re in I think it’s probably time to move on. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I think Windass is more than capable of operating at this level and the stick he gets is a bit unfair IMO

That said he’s now 30 and has only averaged 26 appearances per season for us in all competitions since he joined, which suggests he’s missed approx 50% of the games which really isn’t good enough. 

Totally agree he could be another Luongo but regardless of which division we’re in I think it’s probably time to move on. 

Wow. Didn’t know that. It’s nowhere near good enough. 

41 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Forgot all about him genuinely. 
It’s weird really because we all know just like Luongo he will clear off and become the player we all know he could be. 
Cursed. 

I actually think we’ve had a decent season injury wise compared to our normal standards.

Windass, Iorfa, Paterson, Momo, Pedersen and Delgado are the only ones to have had lengthy spells out and I’m not sure the last three names on that list were particularly missed anyway

I remember times in the last 7 or 8 years where we had 15 players out at once… been nothing like that this season.

• Like 1

Added the list of 'old guard' that needs shipping out in the Summer

We are on a tight budget as it is 

Having over 30s on high wages mostly injured won't help the situation

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Letting Windass leave on a free and bringing in Poveda on a free would seem very good business. 

That saying what’s to say Poveda won’t get as many injuries next season. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

And your post with all due respect is full of ignorance.

The stats seem to back up a Windass contribution.

103 league appearances out of 184 possible, his injury record is poor.

When fit he does contribute, its just a shame he is rarely available on a consistent basis.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, room0035 said:

When fit he does contribute, its just a shame he is rarely available on a consistent basis.

This just about sums it up for me.

When fit and firing, he's one of our better players.

But that's not enough if he's injured or coming back from injury half the time.

You just know he'll leave and never pick up another knock, though...

No one wrecks their players quite like we do. It’s our absolute specialty. Windass might blow a bit hot and cold even when fit but he’s one of our (very few) creative players. If we can’t get at least two of Bannan, Windass and Poveda back we are going to struggle.

• Like 1