Darren Moore

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is using his "sacking" with us against him.

He'd just got promoted and was given his marching orders by an absolute fruit loop of an owner.

In footballing terms he deserved to stay but his pay demands were also part of the equation which were not something he’s achieved since. Röhl is looking much better value but it’s the cheap xisco appointment which looks like it could have us paying twice 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

In footballing terms he deserved to stay but his pay demands were also part of the equation which were not something he’s achieved since. Röhl is looking much better value but it’s the cheap xisco appointment which looks like it could have us paying twice 

I've seen this a few times in different threads, what where his pay demands?

• Like 1

Feel like he rushed into this one.

Initially, he arrived without his coaching staff and now it's different to his usual set-up (Jamie Smith is the coach and Wayne Jacobs is the assistant). 

Low attendances, very small club. Seems like a backwards step. It's not looking like they will get out of it. I know it's hard to judge from someone losing every week but he doesn't seem comfortable. Something seems off with him like he's lost his enthusiasm. I imagine his confidence is at rock bottom.

What a year he's had. From the highs of promotion and the crowd and Wembley to this? 

DM wouldn't have lasted the season with us, but he'd have accumulated more points than Xisco on momentum and vibes alone. All the players had great chemistry under him, which would have continued into this season.

Inevitably I think his tactics wouldn't have stuck in the Championship, which we saw while he was at Huddersfield. Now, at Port Vale, he isn't blessed with a team as good as Wednesday were last season, and so it's not working out either.

I think the circumstances of SWFC (good team, poor competition) benefitted him provided a crutch for his style of management, and now those circumstances have been reversed (poor team, better competition) at both Huddersfield and Port Vale, he's been found out.

Ultimately I can't say I'm surprised, as much as I really want him to succeed. 

Sometimes no justice in football. 

Chansiri is totally incompetent and stumbles on a star like Danny Röhl. 

Darren goes from promotion to the championship to relegation to L2 inside 12 months. 

Since leaving SWFC he has managed 30 games and won 3 :ghoulguy:

7 minutes ago, Londoner1867 said:

I know we’re all very fond of him after the turn around against Peterborough, and rightly so, but we had all the luck in the world that night too. A clearance before the Palmer goal and the ref would have blown his whistle, we’d have said fair play what an effort but we’d all remember the dreadful first leg which we’ve all forgotten, and say how on earth were we in that position?

I get that this is sport and fine margins are a thing, but imagine if we hadn’t gone up, which we so so nearly didn’t, and Moore was sacked after that second leg, we wouldn’t be shocked to see how he’s struggled since and we’d say it’s a continuation of the dip in form we saw.

I suppose I’m saying I’m not surprised. The turnaround was the best sporting night of my life. But it’s still shocking to me that we had to do that 

If we hadn't gone up I do think we'd have parted company with Moore then.  But who would have taken over? I imagine that Xisco would have probably still applied and I dread to think how embarrassing it'd have been, or what alternate signings we'd have made under him, under him in L1.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Poor choice from Moore to go there 

Not sure I agree. They have very good owners and a sporting director. Clearly trying to set up for the future but obviously having a bad season this year. 

Not sure Moore could realistically have got anyone bigger in L1 and they offered him a long term contract. Hopefully he is given a chance to bring them back next season. 

Sad to say they were the worst team we've faced at Pride Park this season. We were awful against Charlton a few days earlier and got a easy ride vs Vale on the Saturday. He needs time to sort that mess out in my opinion.

Port Vale isn’t a small club at that level 

Clearly he can see the potential to build something, which is why he’s gone there. 

He was never going to turn a terrible team around overnight, he’s not that kind of galvanising manager that does that…and I’m sure the owners at Port Vale knew that when they picked him 

No doubt that they identified him as a guy who is capable of getting a big club (relatively) out of a league lower than the one they should really be in.

On 11/03/2024 at 20:22, Bluesteel. said:

More than what he’s managed to get anywhere 

Who knows how much a sacked manager receives?

I can think of quite a few failed  managers who could have had a good income from pay offs alone. Then they join the managers merry go round and blah another lucrative job

Managers invariable have severance clauses in their contracts

Standard pay off is about 3 months wages plus/minus some other criteria

Obviously these things are individual but the idea that managers receive the full terms of their remaining contract upon being sacked are almost always way off the mark. 

Players are entitled to full settlement but then players very rarely get sacked - and if they do its usually for reasons that negate their full entitlement such as gross misconduct

• Like 2