Darren Moore

47 minutes ago, andrew1974 said:

Doesnt look like he's got his gang with him either. Assume the owners couldn't stretch to 5 1/2 year contracts for them too?

Shame, as a manager performs better when he's got his team with him.

Like the million coaches that our current manager seems to have

We will never know who we would have signed had he stayed but I think we would be a lot higher than we are currently had he been out manager this season. We would be if Röhl had had the whole season too though so I dunno I'm just rambling really. Wish him the best at vale, he wasn't too bad at Huddersfield just too many draws?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fairy Tail Owl said:

We will never know who we would have signed had he stayed but I think we would be a lot higher than we are currently had he been out manager this season. We would be if Röhl had had the whole season too though so I dunno I'm just rambling really. Wish him the best at vale, he wasn't too bad at Huddersfield just too many draws?

I did fully expect us to struggle this season with Moore, and quite probably be relegated - but I'm confident that there's no way we'd have only had 2 points from the first 10 games like we did under the Spanish charlatan.

Then again with more points on the board by October Chansiri wouldn't have been in the position where he had no choice but to sack the manager so it's highly unlikely that we'd now have got Röhl and his staff, so in the long run (if there is a long run and DC doesn't drive Röhl out as well!) we're better off. Doubt we'd have ever signed players like Gassama and Musaba either, DM didn't do wingers, and players like Ugbo and Poveda were brought in to fit Röhl's style of play so lord knows what state we could've been in now. 

Hope Moore does do well at Vale though, I was never really convinced by him as a manager for us but he's a top fella. 

21 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Port Vale do have good owners, so if he gets the time there then he has a chance. He turned us around but needed to drop

down a level first. Might be the same at Vale. 

Does Robbie Williams put money into port Vale as he's massive fan 

25 minutes ago, MSN SYSOP said:

Does Robbie Williams put money into port Vale as he's massive fan 

God knows. Always seemed like that was just a thing he said in order to seem like a cool football fan. They have sensible local owners though.

Surprised to see them struggling so much this year, but they are clearly trying to plan for the long term, hence the long contract for Darren. 

8 hours ago, markowl said:

The petty, childish jibes never end, and yet still no one has explained why DM is the subject of such hate.

I don't think it's very complicated, personally. His time here seems to have parallels with Megson's time as manager in my eyes. He comes in and turns around a rudderless sinking ship, gets us putting in battling performances, making Hillsborough a fortress for the first time in forever and consistently winning games with a style of football that a not insignificant percentage of fans feel is drab and boring despite the results.

And just like with Megson, some people adored him, myself included, and others despised him because of his tactics. Not all that different to people's perceptions of Moore really. The difference perhaps being that Moore was allowed to finish the job he started when the automatics began slipping away, whereas Megson got the boot.

• Like 2

Game stats make grim reading as well, especially considering they were at home to the second bottom team. 30% possession, 7 shots against Fleetwood's 20, only 2 on target both scored including a penalty, and 3 corners against 16.

Obviously they were already in trouble when he arrived so he isn't to blame for their position, but results and performances like that aren't going to get the fans onside. 

3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Game stats make grim reading as well, especially considering they were at home to the second bottom team. 30% possession, 7 shots against Fleetwood's 20, only 2 on target both scored including a penalty, and 3 corners against 16.

Obviously they were already in trouble when he arrived so he isn't to blame for their position, but results and performances like that aren't going to get the fans onside. 

Terrible reading them stats.....might be lucky to see middle of march 

Ironically.

If you look at the last 2 seasons League One Playoff finalist managers

2023 - Winner - Darren Moore

2023 - Loser - The guy from Barnsley who turned Welsh. Out of work

2022 - Winner - Alex Neill - out of work

2022 - Loser - Gareth Ainsworth - out of work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paolo Coopio said:

Ironically.

If you look at the last 2 seasons League One Playoff finalist managers

2023 - Winner - Darren Moore

2023 - Loser - The guy from Barnsley who turned Welsh. Out of work

2022 - Winner - Alex Neill - out of work

2022 - Loser - Gareth Ainsworth - out of work.

And all of them have since been sacked by a different club than they were in those play off finals with. 

• Like 1

I bet he cannot believe how things have negatively turned out for him since last May. The highs and euphoria of a Playoff promotion, open-top bus tour etc to now managing Port Vale struggling to stay in League One with an attendance of less than 5,000. Not to mention the spell at Huddersfield. I feel for him to be honest as he really did turn us around; especially off the pitch. 

Feels as though his stock has gone from sky-high to rock bottom. I am hoping he manages to get the job done at Port Vale but having watched the interview he seems to have really lost his mojo. 

26 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

I bet he cannot believe how things have negatively turned out for him since last May. The highs and euphoria of a Playoff promotion, open-top bus tour etc to now managing Port Vale struggling to stay in League One with an attendance of less than 5,000. Not to mention the spell at Huddersfield. I feel for him to be honest as he really did turn us around; especially off the pitch. 

Feels as though his stock has gone from sky-high to rock bottom. I am hoping he manages to get the job done at Port Vale but having watched the interview he seems to have really lost his mojo. 

Same. 

He's a top bloke and I'm happy he got such a memorable promotion on his CV...but the way things have gone for him since then has been quite sad tbh. 

And yes, I know he will have got compensation for getting sacked by Huddersfield and the same would happen at Vale, but honestly I do think a guy like Darren Moore is in this for the  coaching and to try and be successful. 

Hopefully he can turn it around, as he is one of the genuine good guys in the game. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1