Chris Basham

I did my ankle a few times playing Sunday football. The first time was horrendous. Got carried off, the swelling was massive and instant. I couldn’t believe that the X-ray showed no break. Done it that many times over the years that my ligaments are like elastic bands. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I did my ankle a few times playing Sunday football. The first time was horrendous. Got carried off, the swelling was massive and instant. I couldn’t believe that the X-ray showed no break. Done it that many times over the years that my ligaments are like elastic bands. 

Same.

Must have sprained my ankle badly on several occasions. Proper biscuit.

The amount it swells up and bruises is quite something. 

11 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

The BBC said he was giving the thumbs up as he was stretchered off, that blew my mind, he must be as hard as nails. 

Hope it isn't  half as bad as the photos suggest.

The effect of gas, air and morphine I assume.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, beano said:

The effect of gas, air and morphine I assume.

And maybe the other pain killer drug what comes from cone snail ...10x more powerful than morphine and not addiction.....get well soon cb and hopefully see you playing again 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, owler66 said:

Looking at the photos he'll do well to play football again especially with his age

He will be lucky if he can walk without a limp after that .

I suffered a tib and fib compound break of my right leg  when I was in my 20's ,and I still walk with a slight limp even now in my mid fifties. 

13 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Reminds me of the Eduardo incident. 

I broke tib and fib playing football and it was awful physically and mentally for a long time. Feel for anyone at any level who has similar injuries! 

Me too (though not playing football) and 6 years later it still affects me mentally a bit tbh. I really hope I don't see a picture of Basham's injury.

2 hours ago, Oliver said:

Me too (though not playing football) and 6 years later it still affects me mentally a bit tbh. I really hope I don't see a picture of Basham's injury.

Try and avoid threads and links with the following titles:

'Basham' 

'Chris basham' 

'Chris basham breaks ankle' 

'Just look at the state of his ankle, it's hanging off his leg, omg that's horrific, I wish I'd never seen that picture I'm scarred for life now' 

Seriously, it's not a pretty sight so try and avoid it 

• Haha 1

The scary/worst bit is it wasn't even a challenge or collision.

From what I've read, he's taken a bad step and that's happened. From experience, I know your ankle (particularly if you've sprained it before) can roll sometimes when you least expect it, but to incur so much damage is just awful.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The scary/worst bit is it wasn't even a challenge or collision.

From what I've read, he's taken a bad step and that's happened. From experience, I know your ankle (particularly if you've sprained it before) can roll sometimes when you least expect it, but to incur so much damage is just awful.

+ Every time you do it, it never gets it's previous strength back so if it happens a few times it's going to be very weak

I did it just playing 5 aside, just cos the grip is too good on the ground with indoor football boots

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

+ Every time you do it, it never gets it's previous strength back so if it happens a few times it's going to be very weak

I did it just playing 5 aside, just cos the grip is too good on the ground with indoor football boots

Yes, same. Those sports hall floors are unforgiving and trainers have sticky, gum rubber type soles. Not a good mix.

21 minutes ago, maidstoneowl said:

Yes, same. Those sports hall floors are unforgiving and trainers have sticky, gum rubber type soles. Not a good mix.

There is a device you can stick to your shoe to make the outer edge very slippy so you're more likely to just fall over the getting your foot caught under yourself but it's not really taken off (for indoor sports). Was being marketed to basketball and I guess ruins the aesthetic of the shoe too much.

• Like 1

I've had 5 sprained ankles, 3 times right and twice left ankle. Also pulled ankle ligaments in.my right ankle. As others have said sometimes they give way when you least expect it 

Saw the incident on MOTD this morning. The reaction of the players and crowd was the same as when Ian Knight was assaulted so you knew it was bad. Best of luck to the bloke but can't see him coming back from it.

• Like 2

On 08/10/2023 at 16:11, TomtheOwl95 said:

It was an awful thing to see. It really isn't one for the squeamish.

At 35, I can't see him playing again after that.

Feel for him. Not on the physical injury but the mental challenge ahead of him will be tough.

Just realised it says "Not on the physical injury" and not "Not ONLY the physical injury."

Bloody typos.