Scottish Football 23/24

On 31/07/2023 at 18:56, edinburghowl said:

Good picks there I think mate. There are effectively a few mini leagues in the Scottish Prem now and I think there should be fairly sizeable gaps between those mini leagues too. Tough call between the Glasgow pair for the title but I’m not massively convinced by Rangers signings. I think Celtic should have just enough.

Top 2

Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen

Maybe Motherwell/St Mirren/Kilmarnock

The rest

To be fair anyone from 6th downwards could finish bottom but St Johnstone, Livi, County and Dundee look particularly poo .

For me it’s:

1. Celtic 

2. Rangers

3. Hearts

4. Hibs 

5. Aberdeen

6. St Mirren

7. Motherwell 

8. Kilmarnock 

9. Ross County

10. Dundee

11. St Johnstone

12. Livingston 

Would bloody love it if someone but the ugly sisters won the league.

Insane that no one but them has won it since 1985.

I can't remember anything but them being way ahead of the others every season as well.

Realistically will it change soon?

1 hour ago, Quickly Kevin said:

I can't remember anything but them being way ahead of the others every season as well.

Hearts the year after that (sorry Edinburgh owl!!)

Aberdeen also took it to the last day in the 90s and in fact only needed a draw away to rangers last game. But they lost.

Can't remember any other team since then running either Glasgow team close. And the financial gulf is just far too big now sadly

5 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Unless a mad billionaire buys one of them other clubs then no. Their resources are a million miles ahead of the rest of the league combined. 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 13:16, BIG D said:

What’s the point seriously?

Might as well just let Celtic play Rangers every week and just see who comes out on top. 

I know you’re not being fully serious but that’s like saying what’s the point in Wednesday playing any fixtures. Because we’re never going to win any trophies again in our lifetimes! Just let Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Man United etc play every week. I love Wednesday despite that.

The title in Scotland sadly is a one team contest, but with the cups, European spots, European football, and relegation spots there’s plenty of other things for teams to fight for. Plus the love of your club and watching them play. 

St Johnstone’s average attendance is just over 5,000, there were 4,500 Hearts fans at McDiarmid Park yesterday filling 2 and a half of their stands. It was a home game away from home. Try telling those supporters “what’s the point”.

I was delighted Scottish football was back yesterday and I’m absolutely buzzing to go to Norway for the UEFA Conference League match next week. Days like that and those trips with your friends and family are lifetime memories. As are the big games watching Wednesday. Winning trophies is nice but it’s not all there is to football 👍

On 05/08/2023 at 13:33, Quickly Kevin said:

Me too but I sadly cannot see it anytime soon mate. It’s not a level playing field. Hearts (and Hibs to a lesser extent) are both moving in the right direction and both have excellent infrastructure and off the field setups but the financial disparity is just too big. Aberdeen have a decent team but a crumbling mess of a stadium which is going to be a noose around their neck for the foreseeable.

We’re improving in the right areas, the club is well run both financially and in the football department, we have an excellent recruitment team and Director of Football, a top CEO who has run some huge companies in the past, an academy that develops good players and has made us good money, top training facilities which the national team use (the best in Scotland), a modern stadium, a 7,000 waiting list for season tickets and a sold out stadium every week. We’re getting the right things in place to give us the best chance of success.

Hearts are increasing turnover by investments too (new hotel, increased partnerships, more hospitality facilities) we are a very well run club and will turnover significantly north of £20m last season and this coming season. It’s progress but nowhere near the scale to take on Celtic or Rangers.

We need to aspire to overtaking Rangers first, to be the second team, but there’s still a lot to do on that front and that’s a long long way off yet. Trying to win cups and European football has to be the aim for now, and to keep growing the club. 

22 hours ago, eddie1973 said:

Hearts the year after that (sorry Edinburgh owl!!)

Aberdeen also took it to the last day in the 90s and in fact only needed a draw away to rangers last game. But they lost.

Can't remember any other team since then running either Glasgow team close. And the financial gulf is just far too big now sadly

Yeah we lost the league on the last day of that season. Grown men crying all over the ground it was a surreal time.

We’ve finished 2nd in the league 5 or 6 times in my lifetime. I just hope that once before I pop it that we can do a Leicester and win a title. I think that Hearts are best placed of all the other teams but it’s a huge huge long shot.

21 hours ago, mcmigo said:

The George burley hearts side I am sure made a decent fist of it once and ran them close 

We won 9 matches in a row at the beginning of that season I think and ended up finishing 2nd (ahead of Rangers) and winning the Cup. A good season but it could have been so much better. A missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Season’s over after the first game.

To be fair the title was probably over before a ball was kicked lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Grizzly Bizzly said:

Love Scottish football.

Loved when the Irish and Welsh (and conference teams) were invited to play in the cup. Does that still happen or did COVID kill it?

It’s the Scottish equivalent of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy (or whatever they call it nowadays) and yes it is still going.

Coleraine and Cliftonville from Northern Ireland and Bala Town and The New Saints from Wales are playing in this years version. 

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

It’s the Scottish equivalent of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy (or whatever they call it nowadays) and yes it is still going.

Coleraine and Cliftonville from Northern Ireland and Bala Town and The New Saints from Wales are playing in this years version. 

Oh yeah I know it's a rubbish competition but I love it 😀

My mate (Hearts fan actually) used to play for East Fife (plus some juniors) so I've been up a few times to watch the lower leagues. I love it...

• Love 1

For the life of me I’ll never understand the “pointless league” stuff. 

Scotland’s a small country. Should they not bother playing football because English people don’t think it’s worth it? 

It’s dominated by two behemoths but at least theres historical merit to them being the top teams. English football is currently being dominated by a sports washing project.

Theres an honesty to Scottish football that I personally like. It’s also a batsh*t, genuinely hilarious league to follow as an outsider.

• Like 4