Scottish Football 23/24

On a slightly higher scale (due to offering European football), Celtic have got the model pretty much down now that many are clamouring for Wednesday to follow.

Pick up bargains from leagues which are out of the spotlight or players who need a new start, put them in a system and then sell them for big money and reinvest.

The issue Rangers have had lately is that, other than the season when Celtic bizarrely thought Lennon was the right man, they've tried to compete by finding finished article type players but then have sod all sell on. Looked like they'd get close to it the other year but rather than building they decided to reinvest what they got from Ajax into older players again.

Its changed Celtic slightly as, outside of the homegrown like McGregor, it's hard for fans to get attached to players so much now. However, as a club in a smaller league it's the best that can be done and is reaping the rewards domestically, then it's about waiting for and enjoying a lucky/one off European run if it happens.

Sad to say, but outside of the biggest clubs in the biggest leagues, that's football now no matter who you are.

• Like 1

Rangers through to the final Champions League qualifier after knocking out Servette from Switzerland.

Both Edinburgh clubs through to the playoff round of the Conference League too after last nights results. Hibs drew 2-2 in Switzerland to knock out Luzern and play Villa next.

Hearts beat Rosenborg 3-1 at Tynecastle and deservedly go through after dominating both games against the Norwegians. Trondheim was a great experience, proper old school ground, but I am skint after that. 😬 Very expensive country and few days. PAOK Salonika next for Hearts.

• Like 2

Scottish football is far better than what most people give it credit for.

Opening up the pyramid was long overdue and now we can see some very well run ‘Junior’ clubs making their way through the ranks.

When you see the level of support that teams in the West, such as Cumnock, Auchinleck and Clydebank can attract, it’s great that they all have the opportunity to eventually reach the main Scottish league. 

In terms of people actually going out and watching a game across all its levels on a Saturday afternoon, Scotland does have a very healthy percentage of those that do.

The semi-pro game in England, Scotland and beyond needs to be looked after. It’s the one thing that binds the beautiful game together. 

I went to watch Hucknall Town in the United Counties Premier North on Tuesday. It cost me £8 to get in and I saw a decent game and 4 goals. My next non-league game will probably be next month when I watch Ilkeston v Macclesfield in the Northern Premier League. 

• Like 3

Work a lot in Scandinavia so like to see there teams do well but I was pleased to see Hearts make it through. Great result for Hibs too. 

I really enjoy Scottish football and I really don’t mean it as an insult but it’s a bit of a throw back to how the English game was. 

Also like Tynecastle and Easter Road both seem small, compacts and atmospheric. 

My twin brother used to wear a Hearts shirt as a kid. One of those cheap shirt purchases your dad randomly makes when you’re a kid. I had a France 1993/4 shirt. God I loved that shirt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

Also like Tynecastle and Easter Road both seem small, compacts and atmospheric. 

Been to both many times and they are both fantastic. Tynecastle especially, due to the steep stands and feeling so enclosed - its the best stadium in Scotland IMO.

The other big bonus both grounds have is theyre surrounded by some great places to eat and drink.

Everything about Hampden is the opposite of the above. Although the atmosphere can be good there if Scotland are doing well e.g. handing out a thrashing to Spain :paterson:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, eddie1973 said:

Been to both many times and they are both fantastic. Tynecastle especially, due to the steep stands and feeling so enclosed - its the best stadium in Scotland IMO.

The other big bonus both grounds have is theyre surrounded by some great places to eat and drink.

Everything about Hampden is the opposite of the above. Although the atmosphere can be good there if Scotland are doing well e.g. handing out a thrashing to Spain :paterson:

I do work in Glasgow every now and then and fancied taking in a Partick Thistle game at Firhill. Have you been? Would you recommend it? 

Been to Ibrox and Celtic park but have no feeling for either club. I'm from an Irish family and my partner is Northern Irish so I have no time for any of the bulls**t either club stand for. Has to be said though Ibrox is a great stadium.

51 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

I do work in Glasgow every now and then and fancied taking in a Partick Thistle game at Firhill. Have you been? Would you recommend it? 

Been to Ibrox and Celtic park but have no feeling for either club. I'm from an Irish family and my partner is Northern Irish so I have no time for any of the bulls**t either club stand for. Has to be said though Ibrox is a great stadium.

You could always go to the ‘Southside’ and watch Pollok in the WOSL

51 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

1 hour ago, g-owls said:

Thanks I will keep an eye out for fixtures when I'm next up that way. Just googled them and the stadium is well located for the customers I visit in the city. I love Glasgow. The people make it! Fiercely proud of the city but also very self deprecating. 

Sadly never been to Edinburgh. Should make the effort to get across. 

2 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Ive been for not for a few years now. The away fans go in that old wooden stand which is a bit of a health and safety hazard 😂

Theres two proper stands - behind a goal and on the side across from main stand.

Might be an enjoyable enough day out. I think they have some kind of rivalry with Airdrie for some reason bur not sure why??!?

Plus they dont actually play In Partick, they play in Maryhill. Partick is quite hipster and Maryhill is anything but!

20 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Brendan Rodgers under serious pressure already. Celtic knocked out of the League Cup by Kilmarnock this afternoon. So there won’t be a treble this season!

QF draw:

Killie v Hearts 

Rangers v Livingston 

Ross County v Aberdeen

Hibs v St Mirren

I think Rodgers is vastly overated as a manager,  it wouldn't upset me to see him be one of the only Celtic managers in recent history to mess up the open net that is being their manager. 

My local Scottish team, Ayr United, have demolished a stand and are in the process of building a new one with great facilities for hospitality - more info here: https://www.ayradvertiser.com/news/20900752.ayr-united-somerset-park-new-stand-plans-approved/.

This is on the back of building a new club shop with match day bar, food, and social facilities - and the space is used 7 days a week. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-uniteds-new-sports-bar-26220009.

It's obviously a club with a small budget, but a very clear vision and sensible investment. It also makes the state of Hillsborough even more depressing when a small Scottish club can redevelop their home for the future and all we can muster up is a sh*te banner over the away end and a fan-zone open to the elements.

11 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Priority going to CL fixtures later tonight plus AV fans get home 3 hours earlier I suppose. 

Which in itself is such a load of testicles. 

I imagine most of the Villa fans will be staying out in Edinburgh tonight. What a class away day for them. 

• Like 1