Well done Wrexham

21 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

They're in LaLa Land

wrong Ryan mate

I feel conflicted,  Wrexham have a great tradition and we all love an underdog story.

apart from we are British and the underdog story can not include major financial investment.

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

id never heard of this bloke until recently coz of the wrexham thing .....i now know he's an actor but how come he got tied up with wrexham ?

I think it was all a bit random, they decided they wanted to buy a football club, looked around and according to them Wrexham felt like the right club for what they wanted. I know we can all be cynical, but the club was close to going out of business. I think they didn't even own the ground anymore, but the owners re-purchased the ground and gave it back to the club.

I remember many years ago going to a game at the Racecourse where they asked fans from other clubs to come and show support. I went in my Wednesday shirt, they then got us to do a lap of the pitch before the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, cazzaswfc said:

wrong Ryan mate

I feel conflicted,  Wrexham have a great tradition and we all love an underdog story.

apart from we are British and the underdog story can not include major financial investment.

Oh FFS

Thought I'd gotten away with that

lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Reynolds seems like a shrewd operator who clearly knows how to leverage his fame to open doors in the business world.  The hugely OTT coverage of a fifth-tier promotion race is exactly what he is bringing to the table and a key part of their growth strategy.

Not sure how sincere he comes across sometimes, though.  It's interesting that McIlhenney is always the 'face' when it comes to interacting with the fans.  He has a certain dorky genuineness about him that is worth it's weight in gold.

They know what they are doing, their fame is making them shed loads of cash from the Disney series and will continue to do so, plus they will also have enough extremely wealthy contacts to enable them to push Wrexham up the leagues. 

Its all been hijacked by the hollywood actors though ffs

Foster as well is taking all the credit for their promotion and hes been there five minutes, if I was the main goalkeeper Id be ******** fuming about him, just waltzes in at the 11th hour with his big white teeth gaping telling everyone how he rescued them with a late penalty save etc etc. 

The actors havent stopped throwing themselves in front of the cameras for weeks now its ******** nauseating from them, Ryan just running into a presser and telling Foster how fantastic he is and wanting to sniff his shirt.

******** do one and let the players and fans take some of the glory as well you vein tw@ts  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, HullOwlPhil said:

If a club like Luton can get towards the top end of the Championship there's no reason why Wrexham can't either.

Which makes it all the more infuriating that, barring a couple of seasons, can't seem to get anywhere near. FFS.

Just going to post that.

Luton may reach the Premier League via the play offs this year, so you can move through the divisions. They came up through the conference 10 years ago. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Wrexham come straight up again , League 2 and the National League are very close in quality.

A little bit of money goes a long way in the lower tiers. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

How he was overlooked for Aquaman, I’ll never know 

Apparently he's in the running for the lead in "The Incredible Shrinking Bank Balance!"

• Haha 2

I'm genuinely happy for their fans - at least it's a club with plenty of supporters to begin with and one with existing tradition and history (unlike Salford or Forest Green).

However, predictably I do feel slightly cynical about this whole story. Guardian Journo Jonathan Wilson (his stuff is always worth a read/listen) put it best on the Football Weekly podcast last night - the Hollywood duo on one level seem to be doing everything right but you've got to ask whether they're doing the documentary to promote the club or did they set out to make the documentary and only bought the club in order to provide the content for it. Football clubs should be run for the business of football, not to provide content for media companies.

They won't be very popular with other fans in League Two and League One whenever they inevitably get there, the nouveau riche never are. It was undeniably funny when they lost to Grimsby last year. 

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

And the whole champagning of Ben foster is a bit much too 

Bloke came in, played 5 games and has stolen the thunder 

You’d be pisssed off if you were the other keeper who’d played the majority of their games 

They signed him as the first choice keeper was ruled out for rest of the season.

• Like 1