Moore

Guest HalloweenJack

4 hours ago, HalloweenJack said:

Just joined this forum. What’s with the dislike of Moore on here? Have I missed something.

Yes we had the highest wage bill in league 1 last year and should have ultimately done better, but we had in the first half an unreal injury crisis. Windass barely played. Luongo was out for a while. We had the best record in league 1 from January, created chances and scored loads of goals. We even have the best home record in the EFL. 

It is a shame we didn't see that attacking football in the playoffs, but Moore deserves a chance from us this season. I am expecting automatic promotion. 

WAWAW

Should have seen it when Jos,Garry Monk, or TP was here if you think Darren gets pelters

• Like 1

I think it's a vocal minority who are very vociferous in their criticism of Moore. 

For those people, I'm not sure there's a great deal he could do to change their mind on him. 

Personally, I don't think he's the second coming of Pep Guardiola, and there have been times where I've scratched my head at certain decisions, but he did a decent job last season and just came up a bit short at the end. 

It was enough for me to think he deserves another crack at the whip and hopefully this is the season where he gets us over the line. 

He's a nice bloke. Got the team playing some very good football in the second part of last season. Excellent at recruitment. Perhaps tactically a bit naive at times, but that will hopefully improve as he gets more experience. A very good ambassador and figurehead for the club. 

• Like 4

Guest Jack the Hat

Only a small amount want him to go regardless of performance but also a small percentage want him to stay regardless of performance. You say we had the highest wage bill in League one. We also had a squad predominantly of experienced Championship players but we still didn't go up. This is a forum where people are allowed - no expected - to express opinions. Moore's tactics for the large part of last season were one dimensional and he could not manage games or affect in game tactics as well as other managers seemed to against us. He also couldn't decide on his best starting line up and often dropped players following good results. The injury crisis was the beginning of the good spell as he had less options to play around with the starting line up. Perhaps the most worrying part was our inability to defend set pieces considering he himself was  a defender. He is an inexperienced manager with no proven track record who is learning on our dollar and some posters have more patience than others. The second half of last season has given us all hope, but the performance in the play offs against a tactically experienced manager was worrying; as was the second half defensive display against Portsmouth which we all hope was a blip not repeating last seasons woes. I have big doubts about the manager but the second half of the season has given me hope of lessons learned. I think most posters are like me - cautiously hopeful. For me its promotion or the sack. He's a nice bloke but its football, not a nice bloke competition.

36 minutes ago, markowl said:

Was that the first season where he was seriously ill with pneumonia, covid and blood clots on his lungs?

Plus, picking up the squad up after the car crash of Pulis must have been so difficult.

Blaming him for our relegation, after the 2 previous managers' shocking attempts baffles me.

So you agreed with asking defenders low on confidence,in a relegation battle to try a completely new systym of play,where they had NO pre season to perfect,that they weren’t recruited in for(as ball players)and ask the team to play it out through the thirds? You saw nothing wrong with that? Especially when many had contracts ending?None of that had anything to do with Darren’s illness which in my view is often used to stifle criticism of our first Season with Darren as manager

• Like 2

Guest Jack the Hat
1 minute ago, parajack said:

So you agreed with asking defenders low on confidence,in a relegation battle to try a completely new systym of play,where they had NO pre season to perfect,that they weren’t recruited in for(as ball players)and ask the team to play it out through the thirds? You saw nothing wrong with that? Especially when many had contracts ending?None of that had anything to do with Darren’s illness which in my view is often used to stifle criticism of our first Season with Darren as manager

Its gone now but yes, with 11 games to save the season it was crazy introducing a new system rather than playing a style to suit the players and changing it close season. We had some decent individuals as well at the time - look at the Cardiff game. I'm not saying it got us relegated, of course not, but it reduced our already slim chances of staying up. It was crazy for the sake of a few weeks, especially as you say, a chunk of those players were leaving, anyway.

4 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Its gone now but yes, with 11 games to save the season it was crazy introducing a new system rather than playing a style to suit the players and changing it close season. We had some decent individuals as well at the time - look at the Cardiff game. I'm not saying it got us relegated, of course not, but it reduced our already slim chances of staying up. It was crazy for the sake of a few weeks, especially as you say, a chunk of those players were leaving, anyway.

We were absolute gash in that season we went down and no manager was turning around that trainwreck. 

We had been crap for about two seasons prior and got what was coming to us, albeit the six point deduction was what sealed our fate. 

Moore did a damn sight better than the baseball cap wearing goon he replaced. 

• Like 7

Very good manager doing a good job.  We have been an absolute basket case club off the pitch for at least 5 years and the manager seems to be able to block that out from the squad in a way that our last few couldn’t.  In addition he has transformed us from an incredibly boring team to watch for at least a decade ( bar Carlos season 1) to a team that plays good attacking football with a bit of risk. 

Like most I am very happy with the manager . 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think there is a contingent amongst us who never wanted him in the first place and who tediously pounce on every sub-par performance and dropped point as validation of their view. Anything that doesn't go well is placed squarely on his shoulders while any success is dismissed as accidental or attributed to good luck. However well we do, we should have done better apparently....... There were people who actually wanted him sacked even if we got promoted last season.

Of course it's perfectly acceptable to query the managers team selections and tactics, but the sheer predictability of the people who only appear to snipe at the manager and the nature of their complaints is tiresome IMO.

Of course Darren Moore has to perform. The question has to be over what time frame. Given the mess we were in at the end of the 20/21 season I think at least two complete seasons is reasonable. Undoubtedly this is a big season for him. Last seasons promotion campaign has raised expectations and he needs to demonstrate that he can, at the very least, do the same again. But we lost some important players in the summer and their replacements will take time to settle in, so how about cutting Darren Moore some slack?

Very true, but isn't this generally the same with every football manager at every football club?

• Thanks 1

I don't think he's the finished article as a manager and there are question marks around some key things about his abilities.

But, other than Brian Laws I don't think I've ever wanted a manager to succeed as much, in terms of cheering for them as a person to get it right. 

He seems a good bloke and I want him to do well, not just for the benefits it would obviously bring to the club. As someone who by my own admission has been pretty cut throat over the years with wanting managers out, I just can't bring myself to rant and rave for his sacking - despite how frustrating and disappointing elements of his time have been here.

I also think he deserves the time to see what he can do here. As disappointing as that play-off semi was last year, I spent most of last summer thinking the entire club might genuinely be finished. We were looking at starting the season with a kids team until about 2 weeks before the season started. We all wanted promotion last year, but on balance, I think Moore has done OK, and if it weren't for some defensive naivety at times I think we could have gone up automatically.

Have to be realistic though. This is Moore's team now and it's the most expensive one in the division. The brief is very simple this year and he can't have any complaints if he doesn't deliver it.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

I don't think he's the finished article as a manager and there are question marks around some key things about his abilities.

But, other than Brian Laws I don't think I've ever wanted a manager to succeed as much, in terms of cheering for them as a person to get it right. 

He seems a good bloke and I want him to do well, not just for the benefits it would obviously bring to the club. As someone who by my own admission has been pretty cut throat over the years with wanting managers out, I just can't bring myself to rant and rave for his sacking - despite how frustrating and disappointing elements of his time have been here.

I also think he deserves the time to see what he can do here. As disappointing as that play-off semi was last year, I spent most of last summer thinking the entire club might genuinely be finished. We were looking at starting the season with a kids team until about 2 weeks before the season started. We all wanted promotion last year, but on balance, I think Moore has done OK, and if it weren't for some defensive naivety at times I think we could have gone up automatically.

Have to be realistic though. This is Moore's team now and it's the most expensive one in the division. The brief is very simple this year and he can't have any complaints if he doesn't deliver it.

Fair assessment. 

Not sure I'd classify last season as a free hit per se, but there were plenty of people on here and elsewhere thinking we'd finish nowhere near the play offs and we did so with 85 points in the end (not a million miles off automatic). 

This season, pressure very much on. We have got be competing for those automatic spots. 

I don’t blame Moore for the relegation for me that was Chansiris fault, however I do think we should’ve beat Derby on the last day. After a slow start last season Moore excelled unfortunately we played a better team and manager in the play offs , it happens. This is a big season for him and the signs are encouraging that we’ll have a good season, especially if we sign 1/2 more players . One negative against Moore is he seems to struggle to change the course of a game when it’s going against us. He’s a good bloke and we play decent football under him. 

32 minutes ago, parajack said:

You'd rather have kept the same system that patently didn't work in the 32 games before he arrived?

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
21 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We were absolute gash in that season we went down and no manager was turning around that trainwreck. 

We had been crap for about two seasons prior and got what was coming to us, albeit the six point deduction was what sealed our fate. 

Moore did a damn sight better than the baseball cap wearing goon he replaced. 

We went down by one goal after changing the way we played for the last few games. He's not to blame for relegation but I don't think changing our style of play was helpful at that stage in the season.

6 hours ago, HalloweenJack said:

Just joined this forum. What’s with the dislike of Moore on here? Have I missed something.

Yes we had the highest wage bill in league 1 last year and should have ultimately done better, but we had in the first half an unreal injury crisis. Windass barely played. Luongo was out for a while. We had the best record in league 1 from January, created chances and scored loads of goals. We even have the best home record in the EFL. 

It is a shame we didn't see that attacking football in the playoffs, but Moore deserves a chance from us this season. I am expecting automatic promotion. 

WAWAW

That's what we do on here. 

Well some, not all. 

5 hours ago, daleblue said:

I think it's a culmination of things, he has a system and doesn't like to move away from it too much, even when you can see it ain't working, his tactical awareness is what most people on here find disturbing, too slow in making changes, especially during games. 

That's interesting. My worry would be wholly the opposite. It took a long time to find the right system and having found it, we are at our weakest when we drift away from it.

My main worry is that I find our recruitment over this summer decidedly underwhelming. Most people who follow it more closely than I do think otherwise, so hopefully I am misguided. How far Moore gets the credit or blame, as the case may be, is hard to know from the outside.

6 hours ago, HalloweenJack said:

WAWAW

There's a small minority that don't rate him and a reasonably significant tranche that are wavering particularly with regards to tactics. I'd say though that by far the biggest percentage do in fact rate him pretty highly. That could change dramatically after a setback or two though. It's how things roll on here, much like any similar forum.

As this thread suggests some blame him for our relegation.

We weren’t staying up with the strike force that Monk had assembled. Letting Nuhiu go was an absolute disgrace of a decision made worse by the absolute sh!t he signed.

Anyway since Moore has got his feet under the table he’s gone some way to rectifying some of the problems he inherited but he’s not going to rectify 30 years of damage in 18 months even though the OT anthill mob expect him to.

I expect him to be the man to turn this club around if he’s given the necessary time. I believe the chairman will, he definitely won’t get that time from the fans.

He is not the finished article as a manager as some have already pointed out. He’s the best man manager DC has appointed and also looks to have the desire to succeed here and the necessary calmness to cope with the basket case of a club which Sheffield Wednesday’s undoubtedly is. We don’t stick with him things will get a lot worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1