Are we being harsh on Stockdale?

1 minute ago, vulva said:

No player is immune from criticism. Players like Bothroyd absolutely deserve it.

That said, the lad has played 1 game. In front of a new back 3 that were very suspect. And for at least 2 of those goals he had no chance. 

Cut him some slack. It’s a long season. He will play a major part. And before people start shouting for Dawson to come back, let’s not forget the abuse he got on here when he was playing. 

If Dawson had of let the same goals in yesterday, the Owlstalk server would have likely crashed with the meltdown.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 0114 said:

He looked better with the ball at his feet than any of our centre backs. 

I'm not sure I agree as it was only ever passes between him and the centre backs that worked. Once he tried to launch it, it was straight to the opposition or out of play.

But there is probably a confirmation bias on my part and I'm probably forgetting some successful distribution.

The other thing I noticed is how tight the defenders got whenever Stockdale came out of his area.

There were times when the back three were happy to split and pass it about in the backline, with them reasonably spread out. But as soon as Stockdale came out they all bunched closer together and their passes became much shorter and basic. They were worried about the implications of messing it up when Stockdale was out of goal.

If anyone believes the criticism of Stockdale is harsh lets  just consider for a moment what it would have been like if the team shipped 7 goals in two games with Dawson in goal. 

I think Stockdale is getting off pretty lightly ……..for the moment..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blatter said:

If anyone believes the criticism of Stockdale is harsh lets  just consider for a moment what it would have been like if the team shipped 7 goals in two games with Dawson in goal. 

I think Stockdale is getting off pretty lightly ……..for the moment..

The whole back 6 unit deserve criticism for yesterday. Stockdale, or any keeper, will struggle if a team lets 3 point blank headers from close range at goal. The fact Marvin Johnson and Ihiekwe let 3 crosses in from their side is unacceptable. The fact Heneghan and Iorfa couldn't mark their targets in the box when their were only 1 or 2 Portsmouth players to choose from is unacceptable. Stockdale is one cog in that machine. I don't get why him and Iorfa have been singled out on Owlstalk, the whole flipping defence needs to sort it out. Marvin Johnson especially, who's body language is embarrasing sometimes, he just flaps his arms around complaining anf blaming everyone else. It's completely short sighted and narrow minded to focus on Stockdale after 1 league game. He might turn out to be crap but it's one bloody game. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, 0742 said:

2 things struck me yesterday:

1) very flat footed and poor positionally on all 3 crosses that lead to the goals

2) not vocal enough to organise the back 3, who were crying out for some leadership and direction

He needs to lose a stone and gain a voice. Those defenders needed a commanding voice as their positioning was woeful 

Didn't go yesterday as on holiday, but he was very vocal against Rayo Vallecano. You could hear him shouting from the stands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Marvin Johnson especially, who's body language is embarrasing sometimes, he just flaps his arms around complaining anf blaming everyone else. 

I saw an awful lot of that from him yesterday. Was very disappointing, and his first flap was very early on if I recall? No idea what it's about, but he needs to sort his head out.

9 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Marvin Johnson especially, who's body language is embarrasing sometimes, he just flaps his arms around complaining anf blaming everyone else. 

Yeah, I did notice this.

He played quite well, but his attitude was poor.

As for Stockdale, it is one game isn't it.

Having seen the goals again Iorfa (and all the centre backs to be fair) need to be spending every available hour in training just defending cross after cross after cross and work on actually getting into contact with the strikers. A whole lot of "I'm back here so I must be defending" going on. Like having 3 Adam Reaches man marking yesterday

In summary, yes, give Stockdale some slack

• Haha 1

As I said yesterday I don't blame him for any goals and if not confident you don't leave your line. None of the headers were at him directly.

Could he had done better, maybe, maybe not

As a keeper one mistake and it's normally a goal, a midfielder makes a mistake and generally the defence is there to save him, a defender and there is the keeper to try and save him

I don't think Dawson is the bad keeper he's been made.out in the past, but equally he's really not that good. As above and with the abuse he's had before from our fan base, he's one mistake from being crucified and I'm.not sure he can come back from that

One thing I will say is I'm disappointed with the timber Stockdale is carrying and he looks like a keeper from the 90s

Second half was quite frankly horrific.

I was happy enough first half, the back line looked in control, simply basic easy passes and building attacks slowly, Pompey looked really ordinary.

something as simple as pompey deciding to cross the ball changed all that, such a basic tactic should be coped with, fair enough one can always get over and cause problems, but EVERY bloody one virtually?

Yea..its a worry

I just had a rewatch of the goals. None were diabolical keeping. A more agile keeper would probably have got the first but it was still a well placed goal. The other two? I’m not blaming the keeper. The defending was awful and the headers were good. 

The worst bit of keeping was the Pompey keepers IMO. Shouldn’t be beaten on his near post from there however nicely it was struck. 

I do agree Stockdale needs to lose some lard and fast. It’s bad he’s come back as fat as he has really. It is a bit unprofessional and disrespectful really. Can’t believe I’ve written that. I’m a right fat cûnt and one to talk 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6