Women's Euro 2022

The thing which has caught my eye is how well drilled we are.

There’s always an out ball. Hemp and Mead are so dangerous the opposition full backs don’t want to get involved. 

I think Russo has more than earned a start, she’ll be the bridesmaid in the final again though. White has looked solid without looking particularly sharp in front of goal. Russo looks like a superstar when she comes in.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Credit to you mate, a lot of us have been on that journey at some point in time. Plenty just cant bring themselves to do it.

In the last two days I've watched two fantastic stages of the Tour de France Femmes and tonight's game.

Anyone still sneering at women's sport in 2022 wants to give their head a wobble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ``` said:

In the last two days I've watched two fantastic stages of the Tour de France Femmes and tonight's game.

Anyone still sneering at women's sport in 2022 wants to give their head a wobble.

Bet their belly wobbles too

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just got back.

Great game, great performances by Mead, Hemp, Walsh and Greenway... Hemp was my player of the match, non stop running and twisted their full back inside out at times.

Russo goal was awesome, when it was repeated on the big screen the synchronised gasp of 28,000 was a sound to behold.

Great atmosphere, nervous to start with but was rocking at the end, i expect some of the players are still on the pitch now with 5k remaining in the stands serenading them.

I bought tickets for all of the Sheffield and Rotherham games plus Wembley and not a single game has disappointed... Roll on the final and hopefully a fitting conclusion to a great tournament.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ``` said:

I'm sure after such a fantastic game of football (not women's football), and when the dust settles, a few of the naysayers will be claiming to have been there tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I didn't have too high an opinion of Milly Bright before the tournament buts she been really good the entire tourney 

Think she's played really well again 

When I first started watching England's women a few years ago she looked like the big lump you stick at the back in a pub team to deal with the physical stuff. Regularly a split second behind reading what was happening and too many mistakes on the ball. But credit to her, she has transformed herself in the last couple of seasons and has been excellent in this tournament.

After an uncomfortable first twenty minutes, we increasingly took control and by the end deserved the comfortable win. Sure; it doesn't have the pace and power of men's football, but why demand something of it that it can't hope to deliver? But then, neither do you get to see the players acting like spoilt, cheating eight year olds every couple of minutes with tedious shithousery. England have played some quality stuff and fully merit the plaudits. Hopefully they can finish the job on Sunday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

I don’t think we can compare or indeed need to compare the women’s game with the men’s game.

Just enjoy it for what it is.

I’d predict that many people (predominantly men) will always compare the two. It’ll always be ‘mens football came first, men’s football is better’ to some. 

Or the same way they compare the Prem to Scottish football, or English football to the MLS, or Sheffield Wednesday in JPT games to Sheffield Wednesday in League games. 

And yeah (I’ve seen the replies) maybe it could be seen as tedious or irrelevant of me to compare a female player to one of Sheffield Wednesday’s previous kale players - but I did so, as they would both be classed as footballers, and came to the conclusion that England’s wingers tonight put some of SWFC’s previous wide players to shame. Maybe thoughts like that will provoke people to have a rethink as to what being a good footballer actually means, and therefore that it isn’t based on the sex of the player, and therefore break down a barrier of those that think ‘I ain’t watching owt but men’s football’ 

That was more my point - not just ‘oh it’s not bad actually’. 

I think games like tonight however will make a lot of people look at Women’s football in a different light - and as a sport that can stand alone and not in the shadow of the men’s game. Where it will be watched to see who is the best in their arena, rather than as a second rate product to the men’s game. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Just seen the goal highlights that goalie had a bit of a mare you could put 3 of the goals down to her .the approach play from england looked good though .

The last one; absolutely. Jumped like she had deep sea diving boots on and still got good contact on the ball without stopping it's progress much. But for me, that's it.

On the second she had to wait to see if someone got a touch as it went across her and possibly couldn't see it very well through the traffic in front of her. Had she dived earlier and it was diverted into the other corner, there would have been criticism for that instead so it's one of those where the keeper is damned either way by people second guessing after the fact.

And the backheel just took her (and me to be fair) completely by surprise. Just because it went between her feet doesn't automatically make it her fault as the reaction time is just a fraction of a second. She'll be disappointed because it was only inches away, but that happens.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The last one; absolutely. Jumped like she had deep sea diving boots on and still got good contact on the ball without stopping it's progress much. But for me, that's it.

On the second she had to wait to see if someone got a touch as it went across her and possibly couldn't see it very well through the traffic in front of her. Had she dived earlier and it was diverted into the other corner, there would have been criticism for that instead so it's one of those where the keeper is damned either way by people second guessing after the fact.

And the backheel just took her (and me to be fair) completely by surprise. Just because it went between her feet doesn't automatically make it her fault as the reaction time is just a fraction of a second. She'll be disappointed because it was only inches away, but that happens.

Agree.

Honestly don't think anyone's saving the backheel unless they're lucky and it hits their leg.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

1,3,4 I had her down for.    The first went into the centre of the goal  her positioning was wrong ....as for 3 it went thru her hands as well as her legs .

Just now, torryowl said:

1,3,4 I had her down for.    The first went into the centre of the goal  her positioning was wrong ....as for 3 it went thru her hands as well as her legs .

The first !? :ohmy: Her position wasn't an issue too much for me because she had to see past the defender that Mead expertly guided the ball across. Any advantage by being a step to her right would have been lost by being unable to see the ball early enough to react.

And again, on the third she had a split second to react to the completely unexpected. Just because it went through her does not change the reality of the negligible time she had to respond.

The third one looks soft in real time but if you watch these angles in slow motion you can tell when she sees it as her head moves down.

It is less than a foot away and by the time she moves her hands, it is through her legs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62313244

Edited by OxonOwl

13 hours ago, Nero said:

Blavdes take themselves SO fkin seriously though. The signage in that ground is hilarious.

'Forged in Steel'

lol

'Blademen'

WTF:

Sheffield 

Club 

United

Football

I used to play 5 a side at their training ground , obviously badges on the outside but you go in its badges on every door handle ,you walk in to the main space and its BLADES splattered on the walls and even more badges. 

Same as the ground, Blade this Blade that , and all the silly slogans strapped to the outside 

Forged in steel 

Sheffield is red and white 

Desperate to be somebody