Women's Euro 2022

On 07/07/2022 at 11:41, 1867owl said:

OK then - let's all pretend women's football isn't funny 🙄

In the end mate, I wonder if you are able to reassess your views and come to a different conclusion?

Basically admit you got it wrong?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Very tense game, could tell Germany came out with the bit between their teeth in the second half and didn't give us a moment... Hard to tell whether the subs changed the game and neutralized or attacking play or if Germany were all of a sudden just that good. I'm going for the latter.

First half of extra time I thought the Germans were all over us. England looked tired and were struggling to get out of their own half. At that point I could only see one side winning and I thought the best we could hope for was hanging on for the dreaded penalties. I don't know what Wiegman send to them at the interval but second half of ET they seemed to have regained a bit of composure and managed to start stringing passes together again. Then the goal went in and that just seemed to change the dynamic. The game management in the last five minutes was absolutely world class.

12 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

First half of extra time I thought the Germans were all over us. England looked tired and were struggling to get out of their own half. At that point I could only see one side winning and I thought the best we could hope for was hanging on for the dreaded penalties. I don't know what Wiegman send to them at the interval but second half of ET they seemed to have regained a bit of composure and managed to start stringing passes together again. Then the goal went in and that just seemed to change the dynamic. The game management in the last five minutes was absolutely world class.

Germany had fresher legs all over the pitch from half time onwards, i don't think it's an exaggeration to state that they brought in about 30 subs, all of who brought fresh energy and none of who seemed to noticeably weaken the team.

On the other hand, as silly as it sounds given both goals were scored by subs, our substitutions seemed to weaken us... Toone made a great initial impact but then really struggled to influence / get into the game... Russo didn't do much as their defence did a great job on her... Kelly was (and perhaps I'm being unkind) awful up until she scored, she was leaving Daly totally exposed and Germany were making the most of the overload on that side of the pitch time and time again, from my very high vantage point i could see Daly constantly trying to get her to track back and constantly having to do the work herself. After the goal Kelly turned into some kind of time-running-down machine.

As much as i think we deserved to win the tournament I'm not sure we deserved to win the game... It's a different result if Popp doesn't get injured in the warm up, or indeed if the scramble / crossbar efforts go in.

44 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Germany had fresher legs all over the pitch from half time onwards, i don't think it's an exaggeration to state that they brought in about 30 subs, all of who brought fresh energy and none of who seemed to noticeably weaken the team.

On the other hand, as silly as it sounds given both goals were scored by subs, our substitutions seemed to weaken us... Toone made a great initial impact but then really struggled to influence / get into the game... Russo didn't do much as their defence did a great job on her... Kelly was (and perhaps I'm being unkind) awful up until she scored, she was leaving Daly totally exposed and Germany were making the most of the overload on that side of the pitch time and time again, from my very high vantage point i could see Daly constantly trying to get her to track back and constantly having to do the work herself. After the goal Kelly turned into some kind of time-running-down machine.

As much as i think we deserved to win the tournament I'm not sure we deserved to win the game... It's a different result if Popp doesn't get injured in the warm up, or indeed if the scramble / crossbar efforts go in.

Yea I think Germany were the better team after half-time but we did enough to stop them dominating.  It annoys me that it took the goal for them get on the front foot.  If they had that attitude earlier they might have easily won, although i'm obviously happy they didnt.

5 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I don't know what Wiegman send to them at the interval but second half of ET they seemed to have regained a bit of composure and managed to start stringing passes together again.

I made a comment on here at ht in extra time, that the last few minutes of that first half, England seemed to have regained some composure and a foothold in the game. I don't doubt Wiegman did something at half time but for me, the players had already started to figure out a way back into the match, and deserve huge credit for doing so.

Didn't get to see the game but have seen the highlights.

Men or Women it doesn't matter, it's England and we won.

Great for the ladies game, hopefully it takes off from here, it deserves too.

• Like 2