Carlton Palmer vs Barry Bannan

Bizarre comments. If he supposedly loves the club why is he making negative comments about our captain and best player of this century. Seems strange, and not much relevance at all. Different generations and different game. Should be showing more respect to a player who has done more for this club than anyone else since his days playing for us. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guest DoesJackHunt

Completely different players . Bannan closer to Sheridan in terms of passing ability (although not as consistently spot on) and closer to Carlton in terms of work rate (although Carlton was the hardest working player we’ve had since I’ve been watching) 

Not many people did get a kick against Carlton, he was an England international midfield enforcer in a team that finished 3rd in the top flight, his passing wasn’t in the same league as Bannan though.

I love Carlton Palmer but those comments are daft.

Different players in Different eras. 
The teams are vastly different in style and quality so apart from the fact they are both footballers no real comparison.

Carlton just being controversial for the sake of it and no need to be disrespectful to a player who has given his all for the club in the time he’s been here.

I feel for those who haven’t had the pleasure of watching a successful team like that 1 in the 90’s.

Personally I think the game has moved on to such a degree that our 2015-17 team would have given the 1991-93 team a game, even if they did still lose. 

The 90s team would lose 5-0 every week to the teams near the top of the Prem. That’s how much the standard has gone up.

Bannan wouldn’t have looked out of place in 90s premier league when you consider players like Mark Pembridge, Scott Oakes and Barry Horne played his position in it.

2 minutes ago, The coach said:

Palmer is bang on"...and he wer bang on the other week about bazzaz ‘loyalty’...when he said let’s be right..no other club would pay him what we pay him

Even if that is true (it's just an opinion and a guess at what he earns) what is the point in CP putting it in print? What good does it do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OriginalAlien said:

Even if that is true (it's just an opinion and a guess at what he earns) what is the point in CP putting it in print? What good does it do?

Somebody tagged him and he responded with his opinion...why on earth  is anybody gettin offended? Twitter is full of people sayin stuff...some nugget on here the other week I should keep my opinions to myself...that’s not the way these things work

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness he’s right.

Bannan is a very good Championship standard midfielder but Carlton Palmer was on another level.

Yeah but Carlton said Bannan struggled in Championship which is complete rubbish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Personally I think the game has moved on to such a degree that our 2015-17 team would have given the 1991-93 team a game, even if they did still lose. 

The 2015-17 team would batter the 1991-93 team. The game changed so much in terms of fitness in those 25 years, even the skill levels improved massively as the pitches and training regimes improved.

Funnily enough, Carlton Palmer himself is probably the only one of that 1991-93 team with a similar level of fitness to modern players, which is why he stood out so much in the 90s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Answering Carlton's tweet - Bannan only struggled in the Championship in the last season when Pulis and Monk insisted on launching the ball over his head. He was brilliant under Carvalho, Luhukay and Bruce.

Yes, his Premier League career isn't as distinguished, but you've got to remember that it was much easier for a British player to play in the Premier League in Carlton's day.

Let's assume the best 150 midfielders playing in England can have a career in the Premier League. Looking at the Premier League these days, out of those 150 midfielders who played most minutes (Mohamed Elneny is 150th with 801 minutes), only 61 of them are British or Irish.

Back in Carlton's day if you were the 100th best British/Irish midfielder in the UK & Ireland, you would easily get in a Premier League team. You could count the number of foreign players in the league on one hand. The first week of the Premier League there were only 13 foreigners, only 4 of them midfielders. These days, 100th best, and you would be either a backup squad player or playing in the Championship. Those days (92/93), 100th best midfielder in the country would be a regular for a team like Leeds United (17th) or Southampton (18th).

Another way of looking at this is this - Barry Bannan has 27 caps for Scotland. If you go back to the 80s when Carlton started his career, players with a similar amount of caps for Scotland were First Division regulars - e.g. Alan Hansen (26 caps), Steve Nicol (27 caps). Maybe Scotland have got a bit worse over the years - but they couldn't get past the group stage of the World Cup in the 80s either, so they were hardly world-beater then.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

The 2015-17 team would batter the 1991-93 team. The game changed so much in terms of fitness in those 25 years, even the skill levels improved massively as the pitches and training regimes improved.

Funnily enough, Carlton Palmer himself is probably the only one of that 1991-93 team with a similar level of fitness to modern players, which is why he stood out so much in the 90s.

I don’t think they’d beat them, just that the team finishing 3rd back then is probably of the level of the teams finishing 15-17th now. Our 2017 team would have finished in the bottom 3 the year after without reinforcements