Carlton Palmer vs Barry Bannan

Said on twitter today that I really don't get the whole comparing Bannan to the early 90's team/players.

Who cares?

It does sometimes feel like people of a certain age take any kind of offence to saying Bannan is a good player, if someone says he'd get in their best 11 of their time watching why does it matter if he was better than Sheridan, Palmer or whoever else?

It does feel like a debate Palmer doesn't need to get into even if it is only 'banter' of whatever. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

Bryan Robson?!? He was probably the best CM in the world at his peak.

David Platt played at Juve in the Serie A heyday.

Maybe you’re right about the rest.

There’s no way the likes of Bryan robson would be able to compete against our 15-17 invincibles

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markg said:

I agree with him. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved that team and loved watching them, Played some lovely stuff and gave us some great days. But ultimately, we won one league cup. 

And, as people in the Moore out threads constantly say, history doesn't show the detail, just that they didn't succeed.

I would have thought, as Wednesday fans, if you don't go with the detail, there's not much point. 

For example, we've won 1 FA Cup in 87 years. 

Really enjoyed reading this thread though. 

For me, our 2 best central midfield partnerships have been Sheridan and Palmer, Kieran Lee and Bannan. Can't think of many players who have come anywhere near them in the time I've followed Wednesday. 

I'd be more interested in a Danny Wilson / Kieran Lee comparison...

Players from past eras are just crap as this thread proves. The likes of Shearer and Fowler wouldn’t get a kick against Super Sam and Tony Adams wouldn’t stand a chance against the might of Gregory and Berahino.

7 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

I’m not trying to make you look silly here mate but I was just wondering how we got on against Man Utd with Palmer in the side, so I looked it up and it’s quite funny.

Keane joined Man Utd in 1993, and Palmer left here in 1994, so it’s basically just the 1993-94 season we’re looking at. We obviously played them twice in the league and also played them twice in the semis of the league cup, so 4 games in total. 

We lost 3-2 at home in the league and 5-0 away in the league. We lost 4-1 at home in the league cup and 1-0 away in the league cup. 

So we played 4, lost 4, and got battered in two of those games. I can’t remember the games to verify whether Palmer had Keane in his pocket but the results certainly suggest it was the other way round.

I’m laughing at myself - I must be finally going senile!!!!

Might have been when he was at Forest (but I bet we lost to them too) as Keane was very young but was the hyped up new kid on the block. My memory is Palmer bossed most games in his first spell with us and for periods at Leeds and was an excellent player - but perhaps he was rubbish and I’ve just got rose coloured specs on (ha-ha).

Sheridan was an analogous player to Bannan (who I really rate) and Sheridan was superior to Bannan - but again, may be my memory playing tricks. If it is, don’t do anymore research proving me wrong as, if I am delusional, they are nice memories to have in the nursing home. 🙂 

I thought the point in the book was more, has Bannan had a similar impact to the likes of Sheridan and held in a similar high regard,  I’d happily discuss that and possibly agree with it 

To compare players of today with anyone from the 90’s is something I find absolutely bizarre,  it’s the same when you hear people saying Sergio Aguero was better than Andy Cole, Shearer in there prime etc , very hard to try and make that comparison and really .. who cares ? Completely different era’s and see no value to the discussion 

The one thing I would say to CP though who i’m a huge fan of and believe he was a massively underrated player of his time, is he might want to acknowledge he played in a side with quality throughout it , Barry Bannan has performed for this club whilst been surrounded by absolute dross and carnage off the pitch 

It's like saying that Palmer wouldn't have got a kick against Zidane.

In fact are there any League one players that would get a kick against a midfield that finished 3rd in the top flight and got to two cup finals?

• Like 1