Carlton Palmer vs Barry Bannan

Does it matter if Carlton was better than Bannan, (he was), but that was then and this is now. As supporters we support the team as it is now and have fond memories about the past.  All we can do is support the players who are at the club now. At this level Bannan is outstanding, at Championship level he was very good, maybe when we get back there he will just be good, that's what happens, time passes, players get older.

I suppose the other question we could ask is who is the better play now, Bannan or Palmer? lol

Get them on the same pitch and see. Grudge match.

Hopefully Bannan can see the funny side of Carlton getting his feathers ruffled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Personally I think the game has moved on to such a degree that our 2015-17 team would have given the 1991-93 team a game, even if they did still lose. 

The 90s team would lose 5-0 every week to the teams near the top of the Prem. That’s how much the standard has gone up.

Bannan wouldn’t have looked out of place in 90s premier league when you consider players like Mark Pembridge, Scott Oakes and Barry Horne played his position in it.

I reckon Pembridge would be our best player now. Great left foot, box to box and scored a decent amount from midfield. 

after us he went on to play for benfica, a good Everton team and then in the premier with Fulham 

• Like 2

Looking at the tweet he responded to Carlton is being a d*ck.

No one is saying Bannan is better than them, in fact he gets complimented.

Lays into Bannan for no reason and saying he struggled in Championship is daft.

He seems to have an issue with Bannan and he knows certain fans will lap it up. 

5 hours ago, stuben said:

Carlton Plamer was definitely at a different level, premier league and England player. 

But there is just no need for his comments. The most that we can ask is a player to give their all at the level they are playing, and Barry Bannan does this most  EVERY game

Excellent post but I fixed it for you. No need to thank me  lol

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

The 2015-17 team would batter the 1991-93 team. The game changed so much in terms of fitness in those 25 years, even the skill levels improved massively as the pitches and training regimes improved.

Funnily enough, Carlton Palmer himself is probably the only one of that 1991-93 team with a similar level of fitness to modern players, which is why he stood out so much in the 90s.

Have a word with yourself. The 91-93 and the 83-84 teams would have both battered the 2015 - 2017 sides. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, No Uniform said:

Bannan never struggled in the Championship either. Just couldn't drag forward the mess that was around him, as his stats clearly showed. His only flaw is his loyalty, which of course I am not complaining about.

Exactly. If he struggled in the Championship Sky pundits wouldn't keep saying he is too good for League 1 now and often said he was one of the best players in the Championship.

I remember a lower division player complaining that Carlton gave him stick all the way through a game about how much money he was paid. If Bannan wanted to come up with criticism as irrelevant as Carlton's he could retaliate by asking Carlton when he last got a contract at 25k per week  lol

5 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Personally I think the game has moved on to such a degree that our 2015-17 team would have given the 1991-93 team a game, even if they did still lose. 

The 90s team would lose 5-0 every week to the teams near the top of the Prem. That’s how much the standard has gone up.

Bannan wouldn’t have looked out of place in 90s premier league when you consider players like Mark Pembridge, Scott Oakes and Barry Horne played his position in it.

Don't forget Danny Sonner and Michael Williams. :duntmatter:

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Have a word with yourself. The 91-93 and the 83-84 teams would have both battered the 2015 - 2017 sides. 

Big Rons team got 1 more point than Carlos's in 2016/17 team when they were promoted. 

Without the injury crisis they had either, if Hirst had been injured in 91 like Hooper had been in 2017 i suspect no promotion or League Cup win. 

Wilkinson's team didn't suffer that many injuries either. 

Quite frankly i dont think there's much between all 3 teams. 

• Like 1

Absolutely appalling people are questioning the amazingness of the amazing early 90’s team including palmer.

after all, that incredible team won a total of one league cup. Of course, I can’t forget the incredible European nights and wins back then , as it’s very easy to remember one tie against spora Luxembourg.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

Absolutely appalling people are questioning the amazingness of the amazing early 90’s team including palmer.

after all, that incredible team won a total of one league cup. Of course, I can’t forget the incredible European nights and wins back then , as it’s very easy to remember one tie against spora Luxembourg.

This 

31 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

More history than MK.

You seem to run down anything to do with Wednesday. That squad was very close to winning more but boring Arsenal pipped them and we were unlucky. If you can't appreciate that team being known as one of the most exciting teams in the country and the football they played there is something wrong with you. 

Edited by Quickly Kevin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Quickly Kevin said:

More history than MK.

You seem to run down anything to do with Wednesday. That squad was very close to winning more but boring Arsenal pipped them and we were unlucky. If you can't appreciate that team being known as one of the most exciting teams in the country and the football they played there is something wrong with you. 

I agree with him. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved that team and loved watching them, Played some lovely stuff and gave us some great days. But ultimately, we won one league cup. 

And, as people in the Moore out threads constantly say, history doesn't show the detail, just that they didn't succeed.

Just now, markg said:

I agree with him. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved that team and loved watching them, Played some lovely stuff and gave us some great days. But ultimately, we won one league cup. 

And, as people in the Moore out threads constantly say, history doesn't show the detail, just that they didn't succeed.

Football is fine margins and trophies arent spread out amongst many teams.

Newcastle fans appreciate the joy their 90's team brought them even if there was no trophy.

Let United fans use facts to demean our achievementa