Carlton Palmer vs Barry Bannan

5 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

just the sort of thing Bannan wants to read when he’s put blood sweat tears and ABILITY to try and get the team promoted. 

Nice one carlton.

Yep. No need for palmers comments

luckily I doubt that Palmer was ever the type of player that bannan will have looked up to 

• Haha 2

The game has definitely moved on. Compare City or Liverpool to the Man Utd treble winning team and you can see there’s a difference in quality.

Its normal, in most sports the standard of play is higher than it was 20-30 years ago.

Logically that means that there’s a debate to be had around how a team that finished 4th in the championship would compare vs a team that finished 3rd in the prem 25 years earlier 

14 hours ago, paulrs said:

To be fair, Carlton’s reaction does seem a bit OTT. The tweet that started it only seemed to be saying Sheridan and Bannan were the same type of player… then someone tags Carlton in to say he was the perfect partner and in he wades!

Love them both but a whole career at the top level, 18 England caps, cup finals, and transfer fees that in todays money would equate to about £30-40m and there’s no question who the better player was. 

Carlton’s not the most humble charming guy is he lol.

Btw I was on the next treadmill to him at the gym the other week… still in fantastic shape for a guy in his mid-50s - Carlton’s not bad either 🙂

213D8998-E537-4E00-8EEE-4AD06CCD5942.thumb.png.6a9ebee3070727bac070a068b19601c5.png

I'm old enough to have seen both of them play.

Carlton Palmer is still one of my favourite players from that era, but they all are from that team aren't they really?

But let's not kid ourselves. Carlton wasn't playing against Kevin De Bruyne and Cristiano Ronaldo. The mega bucks have completely changed English football, and the Premier League especially. Carlton would'nt have been sold to Leeds for £50m today, they'd but  someone else. This doesn't need to be said, but Carlton dragging Bannan into this argument is ridiculous.

In fact he'd probably be playing at Championship level like a great deal of the English talent.

That said, so would David Platt, Vinnie Jones, Dennis Wise, Neil Webb, Bryan Robson, Gary Mabutt, Nigel Clough, Brian Dean etc....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

16920BAB-38F6-45F4-BF89-F5FA7B9F837A.jpeg

Barry has been an excellent player for us but Carlton is correct.

To be fair, not many midfielders would have displaced Carlton and Sheridan. One of the top midfielders at the time was a young Roy Keane but Carlton always had Roy in his pocket when we played Man Utd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

just the sort of thing Bannan wants to read when he’s put blood sweat tears and ABILITY to try and get the team promoted. 

Nice one carlton.

There was no need for Carlton get involved in this. He's so behind the curve you have to assume he's not watched Wednesday play this season (Whilst sober anyway)

This is the kind of debate we were having on here at the start of the season. Is Bannan (Our best player by a country mile) holding back the team? There was an argument at the start of the season that we relied on him to much. Darren Moore has changed this. It's no longer the case. Bannan had his best season in a Wednesday shirt last season and a majority of us never saw that coming.

Why the #### did you have to open this can of worms Carlton?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

To be fair, not many midfielders would have displaced Carlton and Sheridan. One of the top midfielders at the time was a young Roy Keane but Carlton always had Roy in his pocket when we played Man Utd.

Roy Keane was a kid when Carlton was still playing. However, it was a different era completely.

Money has changed the Premier League into a European Super League.

46 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Keane was only young when he’d have played against Palmer. Keane was so much better than Palmer it’s unreal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

I'm old enough to have seen both of them play.

Carlton Palmer is still one of my favourite players from that era, but they all are from that team aren't they really?

But let's not kid ourselves. Carlton wasn't playing against Kevin De Bruyne and Cristiano Ronaldo. The mega bucks have completely changed English football, and the Premier League especially. Carlton would'nt have been sold to Leeds for £50m today, they'd but  someone else. This doesn't need to be said, but Carlton dragging Bannan into this argument is ridiculous.

In fact he'd probably be playing at Championship level like a great deal of the English talent.

That said, so would David Platt, Vinnie Jones, Dennis Wise, Neil Webb, Bryan Robson, Gary Mabutt, Nigel Clough, Brian Dean etc....

Bryan Robson?!? He was probably the best CM in the world at his peak.

David Platt played at Juve in the Serie A heyday.

Maybe you’re right about the rest.

1 hour ago, 4evaowl said:

I’m not trying to make you look silly here mate but I was just wondering how we got on against Man Utd with Palmer in the side, so I looked it up and it’s quite funny.

Keane joined Man Utd in 1993, and Palmer left here in 1994, so it’s basically just the 1993-94 season we’re looking at. We obviously played them twice in the league and also played them twice in the semis of the league cup, so 4 games in total. 

We lost 3-2 at home in the league and 5-0 away in the league. We lost 4-1 at home in the league cup and 1-0 away in the league cup. 

So we played 4, lost 4, and got battered in two of those games. I can’t remember the games to verify whether Palmer had Keane in his pocket but the results certainly suggest it was the other way round.

25 minutes ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

Bryan Robson?!? He was probably the best CM in the world at his peak.

David Platt played at Juve in the Serie A heyday.

Maybe you’re right about the rest.

I never rated Platt or Robson

Platt got lucky with a goal on the turn and volley in the Italia 90 world cup. We both know he wasn't a patch on Waddle or Sheridan. Palmer himself would have out muscled and out run Platt. He was a luxury player, who had the ability to poach goals at set pieces, but I never remember him running a game.

Robson must have been a decent player, to have got to play for England, but I'm not old enough to remember that player.  From 1986 onwards I remember him as being a crock. Always injured. Played for the mighty Man Utd. Would have never have won anything apart from nine minutes Fergie time against Wednesday in the last match of the season.

Maybe I'm bitter, but I never rated either of them. Both would be playing for West Brom or Fulham at best today...

lol