Got it wrong tactically but we’re still in it!

10 hours ago, debram said:

Gets it wrong too often, good squad but boy should do better.

We were beaten by a stupid mistake by Hutchinson,Moore didn't get wrong our players by and large froze

I’m still convinced it was tactical but playing compact and tight away in the first leg is common practice by numerous successful teams over the years. 
if we’d played with width (Hunt) it would have made it a more open game. Which usually I welcome (as that’s when we’re at our best). 
As it stands I’m very comfortable with the result

• Like 1

11 hours ago, horny owl said:

The good news is that even Moore knows we’ve got to attack and win the return leg so we should be ok

Unless he over thinks things again

The thing with Darren Moore, I never know which Darren Moore we're going to get

A lot of people would have wanted us to press them high like we did against MK Dons

He decided to bore the pants off them, it nearly worked

I hope he decides to go for it on Monday

I'd rather go out having got a 3-3 rather than a 0-0

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU
  • Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On 06/05/2022 at 22:18, sexpistol said:

No it wasn’t. In that game we had no efforts on target. It’s ridiculous to compare tonight to that game.

That would be the game where they had the luxury of resting key players due to having secured playoffs earlier whilst we had a team of walking injured and players coming back from injuries, and drew 0-0 not losing 1-0.

The only issue i have with thise games are our record signing not having the balls to take a penalty and FF putting in a half hearted attempt. 

1 minute ago, elyowl1 said:

That would be the game where they had the luxury of resting key players due to having secured playoffs earlier whilst we had a team of walking injured and players coming back from injuries, and drew 0-0 not losing 1-0.

The only issue i have with thise games are our record signing not having the balls to take a penalty and FF putting in a half hearted attempt. 

Harsh to criticise FF for his penalty. I’m sure he wanted to score.

Played way too many long balls, straight down the throats of their CBS, ball kept coming straight back and resulted in us defending way too deep and stifled the creativity in our MF as the WBs were all busy defending and unable to provide the wide outlet

I don't know if we 'froze' or not, but we struggled to string 2 or 3 passes together for 80 minutes.

We could hardly pass it out of our half and we couldn't create anything for the few times we made it into their area.

Our best players, such as Marvin Johnson and even Bannan, looked dazed and out of their depth.

It really did look like we had barely any attacking intent, even just to release the pressure of the constant Sunderland attacks.

Did we really try to kill the game off from the first kick and make the game just a mess? I don't know what Moore told them before kick-off but we were so lucky to come away with a 1-0 defeat.  That performance is worrying to say the least.  It was horrible.  And no mount of chest thumping can change how I felt watching that.

Here's to a fresh start on Monday and a completey different approach.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2022 at 21:41, TodwickOwl said:

Camping in our own half is nothing short of an embarrassment.

They looked proper frail as soon as we went at them 

Maybe that was because Sunderland would not be good boys and let us play,

They closed us down very well in the 1st half and made it a long ball game, but with out a couple of mistakes by Hutch and BPF, they would never have scored.

Guest Jack the Hat
On 06/05/2022 at 21:41, TodwickOwl said:

Camping in our own half is nothing short of an embarrassment.

They looked proper frail as soon as we went at them 

^^^This all day long. 'Tactically we got it wrong but are still in it' is the story of our season. The only reason reached the play offs is because we have a championship team in League One. Unfortunately, we have a League 2 manager. Neill took Moore to school on Friday (surely anyone can see that) - If he does it again we are out. Fortunately, we have no option other than to go for it now and we do better when the tactics and - often this season - team selection are out of Moore's hands and forced upon on us by circumstance - which sums it up for me. Tactically, Friday was an unmitigated disaster. I've been dreading the play offs as they are tactical affairs and hoping we would get a team with an equally inexperienced manager. Sunderland were the worst team we could have got. I'm already nervous for tomorrow and won't look at the team sheet or formations, I'll just go down and shout a lot and hope that having comfortably the best team will see us through.

On 06/05/2022 at 21:52, paulrs said:

Exactly this.

Dont for a minute think we played defensively on purpose, think Sunderland got in our faces, pressured us and stopped us getting any rhythm at all. Once they tired we came right into it and looked quite dominant.

Any team that does that will beat us, it's been the same the 'Clown' was our manager.

10 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Played way too many long balls, straight down the throats of their CBS, ball kept coming straight back and resulted in us defending way too deep and stifled the creativity in our MF as the WBs were all busy defending and unable to provide the wide outlet

This 

Berahino could not live with their  centre backs Paterson should have started 

They also put extra men in midfield and we tried the Mk dons tactics of Bannan doing a high press and it didn’t work 

We need to bring something unpredictable into tomorrows game 

I would like to see NML running at them 

whether that’s from the start depends on Moore

One things for sure we need to get players up with Gregory he was battling alone on Friday