League 1 final average attendances

3 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

You are right, which is why I have already retracted my statement about the individual fans in an earlier post.

After this amount of time, any fan under 30 is completely understandable and I am sure there are also ones who are older than that who got into it via their kids.

I remain morally opposed to the club itself. But I was wrong to use such a term about the fans, at least those who have come along much later.

Of course I agree with you that this club just should not exist.

As always, it's not the fans who are to blame but the rules, which allowed this to happen.

But now it's to late to change anything

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

You are right, which is why I have already retracted my statement about the individual fans in an earlier post.

After this amount of time, any fan under 30 is completely understandable and I am sure there are also ones who are older than that who got into it via their kids.

I remain morally opposed to the club itself. But I was wrong to use such a term about the fans, at least those who have come along much later.

The Icelandic owners had put the club into administration. There was at the time no prospect of getting a ground in Wimbledon. Attendances at security Park were sometimes lower than 3.000 even in the Premier League. They were losing money hand over fist and the FA had already turned down a relocation plan once.

Are you saying that it would have been better if they folded? Why should an owner have to bankroll a club indefinitely for an open ended amount just to appease the self entitlement of a few thousand fans?

Under the circumstances of the time they had no option other than to move.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

As always, it's not the fans who are to blame but the rules, which allowed this to happen.

In many respects it’s good that they do exist and nearly 20 years later are only pulling in sub 10k crowds as shows the whole notion of moving teams out of their community is complete nonsense! I can’t see any one else trying it!

I don’t have any beef whatsoever with the MKD fans or the club really. What happened happened. If I lived there I’d probably take my kids along to their games.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bucksowl said:

No disagree with your last comment, you need a focus it was given by MK dons, There were lots of local teams all pretty poor little direction no money no focus.

The only thing that changed that was the Dons, that's why Brackley are now trying to get in on the act, and will if the planning idea's in Brackley actually happen.

Change happens live with it 

The original Wimbledon came from non-league to reach the top tier. As did Wigan.

The phoenix Wimbledon came out of deep in non-league and made it back to sit shoulder to shoulder with MK for years now. Several other phoenix clubs are also on their way back up.

It can be done, and done properly.

A lack of focus or direction is no excuse whatsoever to steal another club's very existence. That will never be right in the British game, or football in general for that matter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

The original Wimbledon came from non-league to reach the top tier. As did Wigan.

The phoenix Wimbledon came out of deep in non-league and made it back to sit shoulder to shoulder with MK for years now. Several other phoenix clubs are also on their way back up.

It can be done, and done properly.

A lack of focus or direction is no excuse whatsoever to steal another club's very existence. That will never be right in the British game, or football in general for that matter.

Tell that to Newton Heath (Sorry Manchester United)

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Sunderland get great numbers - such a well supported club.

Good from Ipswich too

For the size of the place, the new ground etc, Rotherham are such a poorly supported club.

In their defence  the ground only holds 12,000 so its over 3 quarters full every game.

We left Bramall lane because of disputes with the owners of the ground.

Should we all be Blades?

All clubs have skeletons in the closet.

I'm happy for MK and their beautiful concrete cows having a decent club to support.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Re MK, the real culprits here aren't the owners or for that matter the EFL/FA. It's Merton council who just blocked every move the club tried to make about getting another more suitable venue. The owners were trying for 15 years before the move to MK came about. 

Other clubs have also come close to folding because of obstructive LA's although so far have survived due to owners with deeper pockets, i.e. Brighton being a particular case in point.

Closer to home we had a council that got the hump when we didn't take up their offer to move to Don Valley. If we do decide to move from Hillsborough what are the chances of them getting awkward?

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, meadowview owl said:

Two long suffering fanbases in ourselves and Sunderland , but really on paper got to hand it to Sunderland …regularly getting approx 30,000 ( yes the 1 club in the city argument comes into play ) 

honourable nod to Ipswich considering they are where never really in the run in come end of season8911666A-D849-45F9-B6A8-92E6F57E5513.thumb.png.c61258fed961c0c183a6e5efc2b9a61c.png

Well guess if we get to play offs final we should get a decent allocation against MK Dons or Wycombe

12 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Well guess if we get to play offs final we should get a decent allocation against MK Dons or Wycombe

Would expect 40k minimum. The demand will certainly be there.

Edited by Utah Owl

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Sunderland get great numbers - such a well supported club.

Good from Ipswich too

For the size of the place, the new ground etc, Rotherham are such a poorly supported club.

In that part of the world you support either Newcastle or Sunderland.

So that's two clubs for 1.1 million people in the Tyne and Weir region.

Our region has 1.3 million people shared between six clubs.

We've got more teams sapping supporters away.

Even without Rotherham our crowds would be significantly higher.

1 hour ago, GermanBird said:

He is wrong teams move sites (Oh yes we have)

2 hours ago, daleblue said:

I lived not far from the ground for some time, they tried time and time again to get permission to redevelop the ground 

or move to another location, I think it was MERTON Council who apposed any type of development, and a move in

or around Wimbledon was far too expensive, not sure who the owners were at the time, but they had to move, I 

think the ground had been officially deemed unsuitable, so meant a move away inevitable, what was not foreseen

by anyone was the distance, this is what angered most people.

This is just my memory 🙂 which is probably a little wayward with what actually happened.

This article suggests thatmWimbledon's losses weren't especially bad until the Norwegian owners took full control, and, tempted by the approaches from Winkelman, (willfully?) allowed the club to become a basket case...

http://truthaboutfranchisefc.blogspot.com/2013/11/wimbledon-fc-finances-liquidation-lies.html?m=1

As the article says: "The figures prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if the owners had sold players, cancelled contracts and budgeted sensibly for life outside the top division, then the club could have continued to operate. The owners chose not to do that, but instead devoted all their efforts to trying to secure the MK move.

"The only thing the club needed saving from was two owners hell bent on moving it to Milton Keynes, when it could have gone back to being financially viable in London.

"...be under no illusions, without Winkelman and the MK consortium there could and should still be a Wimbledon FC playing in London."

For me and many other football fans, the very notion of uprooting a football club and moving it to a different part of the country is anathema, and something which should never have been allowed to happen.

Plenty of lower league clubs have survived in London during the time period we're talking about, and I have no doubt that Wimbledon could have found a way, too.

Heck, surely the very fact that AFC Wimbledon exist is testament to that?

• Thanks 1

That was 1899 and still within walking distance for the fans

Long walk  when its raining bud