League 1 final average attendances

If MK Dons average is 9,255 and Wycombe only 5, 622 then you would have thought that whichever team get through to final then either Sunderland or SWFC would be allocated significantly more

(Using Hull dismal turn out even with a higher average attendance when they us in the play-off final) !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

If MK Dons average is 9,255 and Wycombe only 5, 622 then you would have thought that whichever team get through to final then either Sunderland or SWFC would be allocated significantly more

(Using Hull dismal turn out even with a higher average attendance when they us in the play-off final) !

They couldn’t be seen to give any club an advantage

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

But having a club in Wimbledon was unviable, apparently.

:ph34r:

I lived not far from the ground for some time, they tried time and time again to get permission to redevelop the ground 

or move to another location, I think it was MERTON Council who apposed any type of development, and a move in

or around Wimbledon was far too expensive, not sure who the owners were at the time, but they had to move, I 

think the ground had been officially deemed unsuitable, so meant a move away inevitable, what was not foreseen

by anyone was the distance, this is what angered most people.

This is just my memory 🙂 which is probably a little wayward with what actually happened.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 1963owl said:

They couldn’t be seen to give any club an advantage

Meeting the demand from a club in such circumstances is not giving them an advantage. If one club can only sell 15 to 20k but the other one can sell 50 to 60k in a 90k capacity stadium, then it's unfair to restrict the ability of their fans to witness such a rare occasion.

It's not as if we are talking about the likes of Liverpool, Manure etc. is it?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

We’ve only been Wembley once and took 33,000 when we went, our support is better now than it was in 2008 too

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daleblue said:

I lived not far from the ground for some time, they tried time and time again to get permission to redevelop the ground 

or move to another location, I think it was MERTON Council who apposed any type of development, and a move in

or around Wimbledon was far too expensive, not sure who the owners were at the time, but they had to move, I 

think the ground had been officially deemed unsuitable, so meant a move away inevitable, what was not foreseen

by anyone was the distance, this is what angered most people.

This is just my memory 🙂 which is probably a little wayward with what actually happened.

It was Merton council who were a major problem at the time. Sam Hamman was the owner at the time and he got fed up, sold the club and bought Cardiff. The new owners then engineered the move to MK although previously even Hamman had mentioned places as far away as Dublin!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

You don't think running the club in a better manner would improve the fan's relationship with the club, and therefore lead to better attendances?

Our attendances are fine for League One IMO. It's a shame what we've had to put up with though.

I don’t know. Sorry, I was just asking a question. I genuinely didn’t know whether our attendance had dropped much or not and was too lazy to look 

To be fair we've averaged pretty much the same for the last 3 or 4 seasons.

If we make it up this season and do okay next, then as long as Clueless doesn't go stupid on prices would expect to average 25k+.

If Dem Blavges are still in Championship and new US owners change prices be interesting to see what effect if any it has on their attendances.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

As we know, the combination of 20 years of underachievement, the club’s attempt to shift away from POTG, season tickets prices being the highest in the division or thereabouts, the relationship between Chansiri and the fans and poor commercial operation have gradually eroded a jaded fanbase hence why we’re a few thousand down on where we ought to be

Not sure where you get that from our average attendees have improved under chansiri 

infact despite that awful season last year you only have to back to the first league one promotion season in Cardiff 2005 where their league one attendance were  slightly higher than this years 

when you consider the huge financial impact everyone’s had to endure this year and the fact back on the 05 season we had more Derby’s 

barnsley, Bradford, donny, Chesterfield, Rotherham. 

I think being down on that season by only 630 is quite an achievement 

if anything under chansiri commercial  revenue and attendances have increased 

On 06/03/2022 at 17:24, Johnny Concrete said:

35 minutes ago, Bucksowl said:

Sorry I am a Sheffield boy, support Wednesday for 60+ years live in Buckingham (now) stop knocking MK Dons. They are a well establish local asset to the youth (Boys and girls) of the area .

Let it rest.

No I won't.

It should never be forgotten because it must never be allowed to happen again.

Maybe my comment about moral corruption was out of order in relation to individual fans, so I'll retract that. But the general point about the actual club (not the fans) is valid in my opinion.

I'm glad they are doing good things for the local youth. But a local youth set up could have done that and built something just as effective without some unscrupulous owners stealing the legacy from another set of fans.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I'll never understand why Frachise FC get a single supporter. They don't deserve any.

But when they built a 30k stadium I assumed they must have found enough people with no moral compass to support them.

Don't you think that's a bit unfair on all the young supporters, who were born around 2000 or later? Do you really expect them to check the history of the club first, before they fall in love with it?

It's their local club with a nice posh stadium. It was alway there, when they grew up.

I bet they have a youngish fanbase compared to ours.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

No I won't.

It should never be forgotten because it must never be allowed to happen again.

Maybe my comment about moral corruption was out of order in relation to individual fans, so I'll retract that. But the general point about the actual club (not the fans) is valid in my opinion.

I'm glad they are doing good things for the local youth. But a local youth set up could have done that and built something just as effective without some unscrupulous owners stealing the legacy from another set of fans.

No disagree with your last comment, you need a focus it was given by MK dons, There were lots of local teams all pretty poor little direction no money no focus.

The only thing that changed that was the Dons, that's why Brackley are now trying to get in on the act, and will if the planning idea's in Brackley actually happen.

Change happens live with it 

9 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Don't you think that's a bit unfair on all the young supporters, who were born around 2000 or later? Do you really expect them to check the history of the club first, before they fall in love with it?

It's their local club with a nice posh stadium. It was alway there, when they grew up.

I bet they have a youngish fanbase compared to ours.

You are right, which is why I have already retracted my statement about the individual fans in an earlier post.

After this amount of time, any fan under 30 is completely understandable and I am sure there are also ones who are older than that who got into it via their kids.

I remain morally opposed to the club itself. But I was wrong to use such a term about the fans, at least those who have come along much later.

• Like 1
  • Love 1