Berahino fitness?

1 hour ago, GermanBird said:

My  personal guess (based on nothing) is that DM just doesn't particularly like the combination Gregory/Berahino for whatever reason.

...as I said.. just a guess

He brought both players to the club and has just started what was, on paper, one of our toughest away games of the season with them up top together.

I reckon it's safe to say he likes them!

In an ideal world, we'd have all our players fully fit, in the right frame of mind, and able to play 90+ minutes three times a week for months on end. But in the real world, football isn't like that.

Gregory had an injury and needed to be eased back in with a couple of appearances from the bench towards the start of his comeback, and Berahino has been working on his strength and is still in his first season of readjusting to the rigours of English football, which may well take a bit out of him. He also travelled on international duty, don't forget.

We could start them both in every game, but we may find that one or the other breaks down before too long.

And then there's the overly-simplistic notion that what worked in one game will work in the next - again, football doesn't work like that. Berahino and Paterson looked fantastic against Doncaster but then came up short a few games later against Lincoln; Berahino and Gregory were great against Cambridge but didn't click in the same way when given more than half an hour together against Bolton.

Different games - even different parts of the same game - call for different approaches. We've used Mendez-Laing's pace to stretch teams and create a hatful of chances at times; we've used Paterson's all-action style and aerial presence to cause havoc at others, etc...

Moore has a whole squad to manage through to the end of the season, and more often than not, he's calling things correctly during these past few months.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yes.

Weve scored 11 in about 250 minutes when they’ve been on together since Cambridge.

I think it’s a fitness issue. Moore can’t possibly not rate the pairing.

Do you think they have gelled (or gelling) as a pair, do they work off each other or are they more independent of each other?

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Do you think they have gelled (or gelling) as a pair, do they work off each other or are they more independent of each other?

Im not clever enough to begin to answer that mate.

All I know is that it clearly works. And, as I’ve said many times before, when you find something that works, stop searching.

14 minutes ago, marconi said:

He seemed to disappear second half at MK. 

Tell me I’m mistaken.

This. 

I'd actually go further and say he was entirely absent bar the goal. 

While Gregory was actually hussling and harrying, Berahino was doing that this I used to do when I was a kid and didn't want to play cos I cold or something, when you go through the motions of 'pressing' and 'running' but don't actually do either. 

For me, he proved why he doesn't - and shouldn't - start. He's clearly only got a Cambridge in him every now and again. Disappointing, as I was calling for him to start every game. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, marconi said:

He seemed to disappear second half at MK. 

Tell me I’m mistaken.

You’re correct and DM, who seems to know him best, seems to understand that he does drift out of games for long periods. I think on this one I’d trust DM’s judgment on how he’s best used, but all credit to SB as he has improved significantly.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Im not clever enough to begin to answer that mate.

All I know is that it clearly works. And, as I’ve said many times before, when you find something that works, stop searching.

From my experience you more than capable of bringing good evidence to back up your claims.  Hope you formulate something in the near future.  Will be interested in hearing  your views.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I thought he was a waste of space early season. How wrong could I have been?

He’s a totally transformed player since he came back into the side away to Doncaster for that devastating second half. 6 goals in 500 minutes in this spell, and 2 assists. Fantastic. He looks sharp and driven and his movement is outstanding.

Not a clue what transformed him - fitness? Strength conditioning? The 352? But it’s superb for us whatever it is.

But, why has he been used so sparingly? In the 11 games of his new spell he’s only played 500 minutes and only started 5 games. He hadn’t started any of the previous 4 games until MKD.

Anyone know why? Has he been carrying an injury? For Cheltenham he wasn’t even on the bench so I assume he was definitely injured for that one? Maybe Ive missed Moore talking about an underlying issue.

We’ve Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday, and hopefully a two-legged semi the week after. I hope whatever is has been is now sorted and that he can play a fuller role in this vital period.

For Cheltenham, wasn’t he on international duty?

1 minute ago, cbirks said:

This. 

I'd actually go further and say he was entirely absent bar the goal. 

While Gregory was actually hussling and harrying, Berahino was doing that this I used to do when I was a kid and didn't want to play cos I cold or something, when you go through the motions of 'pressing' and 'running' but don't actually do either. 

For me, he proved why he doesn't - and shouldn't - start. He's clearly only got a Cambridge in him every now and again. Disappointing, as I was calling for him to start every game. 

It’s frustrating that when NML plays he can’t hit a barn door with a banjo, so we clamour for Berahino to start.

Fair enough he scored his goal, but in my eyes didn’t offer much more.

2 minutes ago, marconi said:

It’s frustrating that when NML plays he can’t hit a barn door with a banjo, so we clamour for Berahino to start.

Fair enough he scored his goal, but in my eyes didn’t offer much more.

Mendez-Laing just needs a 'keeper to chuck one in like the Franchise FC goalie did for Berahino and he'll be up and running.

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

I’ve been calling out for Berahino to start instead of NML and I stick by it.

His movement around the area and his finishing is far superior.

Also, against MK he did work really hard defensively which probably got missed by most.

What he doesn’t do, which we really could’ve done with on Saturday is run the channels. Gregory was the focal point, Berahino never got on his bike and hit the channels for an easy out ball. There was once when Johnson had it and it was crying out for it - instead Berahino tried to come short and Johnson looked like he could’ve killed him.

Therefore around the 70 minute mark I was desperate for DM to take him off and put NML on. We didn’t need a goal at that stage, we needed somebody to get us up the pitch and relieve the pressure.

Difficult to criticise when we win but I couldn’t understand why NML didn’t come in earlier when the match became tailor made for him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Does anyone know the latest on Windass? Is he anywhere near?

He just returned to full training so it'll now be about building up the volume

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/concern-over-sheffield-wednesdays-new-bumps-and-bruises-as-josh-windass-returns-to-middlewood-road-3656595

Meanwhile, Moore also gave a further update on the situation regarding Josh Windass, who is now back at Middlewood Road as he ups his recovery efforts.

“He’s back in now, and we’ll have a look at him with regards to pitch-based work for next week. He’s not been out there today, we’ve been doing strengthening work…

“I would say that the next three games a bridge too far for him. With Josh now it’s about making sure that when he comes back he stays back. He got right to the end of his programme when he had his last setback – so we’re just making sure that his progression keeps going in the right direction.

“But it’s been great to see him back, and he’s as bright as ever. He’s chomping at the bit.”

Meanwhile, Sylla Sow was spotted back in training on a video posted on the club’s official Twitter page.

• Thanks 3

Horses for courses.

Tight defence, team marshaling their 18 yard line, Berahino has the movement and sharpness of thought to create half a yard and get a shot away.

More open , expansive game against a team that actually ventures forward I can see the case for Mendez-Laing and wednesday using his pace to expose space in behind the defence.

On that note...

Old Wembley famously was one of the bigger pitches in the country. 

Is that still the case with 'new' Wembley?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Forgot the Burundi match.

He came back early after the Burundi match so I expected him to start the next game, it was strange that he didn't. Apparently Moore thought the long flight back meant he wouldn't be fresh so he left him out.

For me he is the best striker we have got. He's clever, makes space for himself, finds little pockets of space in the area and he only needs a few inches to turn and hit a shot. He may not be a big bustling centre forward type but he can put a chance away.

I hope he stays here.

• Like 4