Berahino fitness?

I thought he was a waste of space early season. How wrong could I have been?

He’s a totally transformed player since he came back into the side away to Doncaster for that devastating second half. 6 goals in 500 minutes in this spell, and 2 assists. Fantastic. He looks sharp and driven and his movement is outstanding.

Not a clue what transformed him - fitness? Strength conditioning? The 352? But it’s superb for us whatever it is.

But, why has he been used so sparingly? In the 11 games of his new spell he’s only played 500 minutes and only started 5 games. He hadn’t started any of the previous 4 games until MKD.

Anyone know why? Has he been carrying an injury? For Cheltenham he wasn’t even on the bench so I assume he was definitely injured for that one? Maybe Ive missed Moore talking about an underlying issue.

We’ve Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday, and hopefully a two-legged semi the week after. I hope whatever is has been is now sorted and that he can play a fuller role in this vital period.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

My  personal guess (based on nothing) is that DM just doesn't particularly like the combination Gregory/Berahino for whatever reason.

...as I said.. just a guess

But weren't they the front 2 when we scored 6?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nut said:

Yes.

Weve scored 11 in about 250 minutes when they’ve been on together since Cambridge.

I think it’s a fitness issue. Moore can’t possibly not rate the pairing.

6 minutes ago, Nut said:

It’s a no brainier really

Arguably out 2 best performances of the season have come with. Gregory /Berahino strike partnership

cannot understand why they aren’t starting every week

• Like 1

I think as two strikers they look the best partnership, but if you play them as a pair you get slightly less workrate in terms of closing down, less height and less pace. I know the two teams are incomparable but against Bolton we played far higher up the pitch with NML playing, we created more chances and we controlled the game for longer periods. Yes MK are a better side etc. I'm sure that comes into DMs thinking. Berahino is a far better finisher and technically has some lovely touches, but can still be bullied and he doesn't have pace or height to get him back involved. At MK in the 2nd half he was hardly involved, made very few touches and started to sit deeper and deeper.

I guess DM looks at the opposition and also assesses that weeks training and then makes a call. Fair enough I reckon. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yes.

Weve scored 11 in about 250 minutes when they’ve been on together since Cambridge.

I think it’s a fitness issue. Moore can’t possibly not rate the pairing.

You’re looking for something that really isn’t there

If Moore doesn’t rate the pairing, why did he play them at the hardest, highest pressure game we’ve had recently? 

Berahino wasn’t in the squad because he was playing for Burundi

Moore made it clear he wanted to stretch teams using NML’s pace - which no-one else bar Windass has

Given the chances we created and results it’s hard to say to was unsuccessful 

Finally, this is why Windass is so important - so we have this option with someone who is clinical

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

You’re looking for something that really isn’t there

If Moore doesn’t rate the pairing, why did he play them at the hardest, highest pressure game we’ve had recently? 

Berahino wasn’t in the squad because he was playing for Burundi

Moore made it clear he wanted to stretch teams using NML’s pace - which no-one else bar Windass has

Given the chances we created and results it’s hard to say to was unsuccessful 

Finally, this is why Windass is so important - so we have this option with someone who is clinical

Forgot the Burundi match.

15 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

yes, they were

(I do like both upfront and don't mind playing them together)   

What's you explanation, why Berahino isn't utilized more often?

I really don't know. I thought they looked great together in that game. Berahino started the next game then has been in and out of the side ever since. There's often things happening that we don't know about which make decisions look strange from the outside so I'm there sure will be a genuine reason. We know that there's a lot of sports science data available nowadays and that some players regularly get rotated and some, such as Bannan and Marvin Johnson, play almost every minute. What I did find strange was Berahino travelling thousands of miles to play a meaningless friendly.

• Like 3

Taking windass out of the equation, our best striker partnership is unequivocally Gregory and Berahino. They are the only 2 who know how to play the striker role effectively. If you watch Saido closely, he’s great in working in tight areas and linking play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GermanBird said:

My  personal guess (based on nothing) is that DM just doesn't particularly like the combination Gregory/Berahino for whatever reason.

...as I said.. just a guess

And rightly so, in some respects. Both players prefer to ‘post up’ and receive the ball into feet. Whereas Moore, likes the option of one short, one long - running behind the defence for the ball over the top. With Baz, luongo and Byers in your side, it’s a good tactic and one that will stretch teams and create space for our midfield to operate in.

While I like this in theory, what is obvious is Greggs and Beres are forming a good partnership and starting to understand each other’s positioning. And, for how long have we been crying out for a successful pair up front! If fit, I think they both start. If the opposition plays a high line, expect NML in with one of them. Good to have choices.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

And rightly so, in some respects. Both players prefer to ‘post up’ and receive the ball into feet. Whereas Moore, likes the option of one short, one long - running behind the defence for the ball over the top. With Baz, luongo and Byers in your side, it’s a good tactic and one that will stretch teams and create space for our midfield to operate in.

While I like this in theory, what is obvious is Greggs and Beres are forming a good partnership and starting to understand each other’s positioning. And, for how long have we been crying out for a successful pair up front! If fit, I think they both start. If the opposition plays a high line, expect NML in with one of them. Good to have choices.

Greggs and Beres could feed off each other.

• Haha 6