1 hour ago, wiggy said:

I know from talk at the time we’d have needed a load of work doing to bring the ground up to scratch for the premier league. 

What sort of work ?......have to admit I didnt know  your stadium had to meet certain criteria to play in the prem .god help luton if they go up .

Absolutely no chance. 

Neglected since the early 90s, Hillsborough would need massive investment just to bring it up to scratch with modern day requirements. Even our last major upgrade (The Grandstand) is ready for redevelopment -  no natural light flow,  boxes that don't meet TV gantry requirements, flood risk, etc.

I just worry that the ground is no longer salvageable to serve a purpose in modern day football. All four sides need major construction work, something that a club can do over the years but not in one go. 

I think deep down, Chansiri knows our future is away from Hillsborough. Not buying the land across from the Kop tells you that for me. How he goes about ever making that a reality is beyond my thought process. It would probably need the council to build a stadium to host something like the Summer Olympics, Commonwealth Games, etc. that we could then buy or rent off them. So yeah that's not happening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Even stadiums that have had renovations since we have are having more renovations. Saw this today about Stoke City for example 

'

Stoke announced a planned a five-year redevelopment project for the club's home ground - the bet365 Stadium - and Clayton Wood training ground last month.

The initial phase will cost around £4m and be competed in time for the start of the 2022-23 season'

We are a million miles behind. I reckon about 20 stadiums would be picked before ours. Maybe more. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Looks like England and Ireland have the best chance of being selected as hosts for Euro 2028. 

With that in mind do we think Hillsborough will be a host venue?

Typically successful bids receive FA and local authority funding though Hillsborough does look like it needs a bit of work?

Thoughts? 

Thoughts?

I thought you were a pig on the wind up when I saw this thread, how about that for a thought?

Then I see you have a long distinguished OT career so now I just think you're on the wind up. 

Apologies for thinking you were a pig......... Or are you a sleeper agent they've just activiated? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

• Haha 1

It would be nice considering we have hosted matches at both previous tournaments but I can't see it.

Even when you remember the rule of 1 ground per city (with 1 exception which will be London), we will be down the list I feel. 

Maybe it could kick chansiri into gear to build a new venue or renovate? Who knows.

I guess we will see these 12 hold matches:

Murrayfield

Hampden

Millennium

Aviva

New Belfast

Wembley 

Tottenham 

Old Trafford

Anfield

Villa Park

St James

Stadium of Light

We would have no chance unless they choose 20 grounds.

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

No chance - if it was England only hosting (which it should be, imo, we could easily host it ourselves without the other countries riding on our coat tails basically for the free qualification) then there'd be an ouside chance, but spreading games around the nations means fewer stadia being used in England so it'll be just the larger, modern grounds being used which are already light years ahead of hillsborough in terms of facilities and capacity.

There will be no free qualification for this tournament, I think only a maximum of 2 countries can get automatic qualification when they co-host a tournament. All the host nations will need to qualify by right.

18 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

There will be no free qualification for this tournament, I think only a maximum of 2 countries can get automatic qualification when they co-host a tournament. All the host nations will need to qualify by right.

Good. Will be a bit tinpot if most of the nations don't qualify for the tournament that they're hosting though, that said with 32 countries in the finals it'd probably be harder to fail to qualify.

• Like 2

We wouldn't even be the first ground in league 1 to get picked ,so no chance been picked from all the stadiums in the uk 

Some people really need to take their Wednesday glasses off when it comes to Hillsborough 

The place is a complete dump

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Looks like England and Ireland have the best chance of being selected as hosts for Euro 2028. 

Typically successful bids receive FA and local authority funding though Hillsborough does look like it needs a bit of work?

Thoughts? 

Nah. There's loads better grounds they'll use. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Luke said:

We wouldn't even be the first ground in league 1 to get picked ,so no chance been picked from all the stadiums in the uk 

Some people really need to take their Wednesday glasses off when it comes to Hillsborough 

The place is a complete dump

Yep

• Like 1

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

What sort of work ?......have to admit I didnt know  your stadium had to meet certain criteria to play in the prem .god help luton if they go up .

There is a big list of requirements from premier league clubs. Can’t remember them all, but the two I can recall are a permanent TV studio. Think we also has issues as a certain amount of fibre optic cabling is required to be running around the pitch. For media again I guess.

5 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

I’m not even sure we’d host a game if it was just England hosting

But the UK and Ireland? No chance

Wembley

Old Trafford

Etihad

Emirates

Tottenham

Stamford Bridge

Anfield

Stadium MK

Celtic Park

Ibrox

Hamden

Millenium Stadium

Aviva 

St James Park

Stadium of Light 

St Mary’s 

Leicester

Too many in London, would give some to Bristol, Leeds/Blades/villa/

1 minute ago, wiggy said:

There is a big list of requirements from premier league clubs. Can’t remember them all, but the two I can recall are a permanent TV studio. Think we also has issues as a certain amount of fibre optic cabling is required to be running around the pitch. For media again I guess.

Plenty of time to sort out I guess. DC would probably agree to a livk of paint and put some new bulbs in floodlights.

• Haha 4

Guest Musttryharder
6 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Thoughts? 

Definately no, and why should it. 

They would never pick a third tier stadium..  Plus when you consider the number of stadiums in the country that are bigger, more modern and have better facilities...  Hillsborough is one of the old guard of stadiums, she is a beat but not clearly not up to modern international games..  I would be very surprised if we ever hosted an international game even a friendly at hillborough ever again..

• Like 1