On 23/03/2022 at 10:13, steelcityowlsfan said:

Looks like England and Ireland have the best chance of being selected as hosts for Euro 2028. 

With that in mind do we think Hillsborough will be a host venue?

Typically successful bids receive FA and local authority funding though Hillsborough does look like it needs a bit of work?

Thoughts? 

No, if they were going to put a match on in Yorkshire it would be at Bell End Road.

Look I hate to plant this flag, but the fact is with the history of the name of "Hillsborough" we would never get a sniff even if our ground were up to the standards of the alternatives.

But Old Trafford, Ethiad, Bell End Road, any of the PRremier League London Stadiums, St James Park, Stadium of Light, Molineux, Anfield just to name a few are light years ahead of us in that department. 

We wouldnt get a sniff even without our Stadiums history, with it, not a prayer.   The only chance we would get is in grants to build a new Stadium and demolish our current home.

9 hours ago, leftpeg said:

No, if they were going to put a match on in Yorkshire it would be at Bell End Road.

Look I hate to plant this flag, but the fact is with the history of the name of "Hillsborough" we would never get a sniff even if our ground were up to the standards of the alternatives.

But Old Trafford, Ethiad, Bell End Road, any of the PRremier League London Stadiums, St James Park, Stadium of Light, Molineux, Anfield just to name a few are light years ahead of us in that department. 

We wouldnt get a sniff even without our Stadiums history, with it, not a prayer.   The only chance we would get is in grants to build a new Stadium and demolish our current home.

As it stands the ground needs a total refurbishment nut I don't see wjat

Just now, Geedee said:

As it stands the ground needs a total refurbishment nut I don't see wjat

Sorry pressed the post button by mistake and it won't let me edit post.

I don't see why the disaster has any bearing. The club has hosted internationals and final replays since then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geedee said:

Sorry pressed the post button by mistake and it won't let me edit post.

I don't see why the disaster has any bearing. The club has hosted internationals and final replays since then.

When was the last time? Obviously Euro 96 and I remember a league cup final replay which might have been a bit after that. But pretty sure nothing since relegation in 2000.

The world has changed since then, if the facilities weren't an issue then the history could be. Imagine if a few Liverpool fans criticised it on twitter, would go viral, bandwagon would petition for games to be played elsewhere etc etc. Could easily see that happening and when the twitter mob apply pressure a lot of the time companies/politicians/governing bodies appease them even if its a minority.

Before social media decisions would be made and stuck too irrespective of whether it upset a few people or not. Now, not so much.

If we ever got back to the Premier League, first time we play Liverpool they will make a huge issue of it guaranteed even though we must have played them 10 times there since, just none since 2000.

3 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

When was the last time? Obviously Euro 96 and I remember a league cup final replay which might have been a bit after that. But pretty sure nothing since relegation in 2000.

The world has changed since then, if the facilities weren't an issue then the history could be. Imagine if a few Liverpool fans criticised it on twitter, would go viral, bandwagon would petition for games to be played elsewhere etc etc. Could easily see that happening and when the twitter mob apply pressure a lot of the time companies/politicians/governing bodies appease them even if its a minority.

Before social media decisions would be made and stuck too irrespective of whether it upset a few people or not. Now, not so much.

If we ever got back to the Premier League, first time we play Liverpool they will make a huge issue of it guaranteed even though we must have played them 10 times there since, just none since 2000.

I agree the world has changed, Hillsborough obviously would not be considered without a major refurbishment  that's not changed since the world Cup 2018 bid

But what grounds like bramnall Lane and other inner city grounds have not got is a facility like Hillsborough Park,  the location of our stadium is perfect to hold big events it just needs renovation.

As for Liverpool fans or anybody else referring to the disaster, respect should always be shown but it's time for everyone to move on. They have at ibrox and they have at valley parade 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

Realistically Hillsborough would be behind Elland Road, Bramall Lane, Huddersfield Ground and a potentially upgraded New York Stadium.

By upgraded do you mean knock it down, build a stadium that can hold more than 10k and move it as far away from Rotherham as possible? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You just have to look at where England have played recent home games away from Wembley, they have chosen the modern, new build stadiums ...

Etihad

Stadium of Light

King Power

St Mary's 

Riverside

There is a not a chance that Hillsborough would be selected, it wouldn't even be in the top 30 possible options.

On 26/03/2022 at 15:32, leftpeg said:

I must have dreamed 1996.

• Like 1