1 hour ago, catdog1121 said:

They would never pick a third tier stadium..  Plus when you consider the number of stadiums in the country that are bigger, more modern and have better facilities...  Hillsborough is one of the old guard of stadiums, she is a beat but not clearly not up to modern international games..  I would be very surprised if we ever hosted an international game even a friendly at hillborough ever again..

The lack of investment in the ground is abysmal. Even in the dark days of the 70s, it was one of the best grounds in the country.

Real shame the decline of the club and the ground.

• Like 4

Just now, Harrysgame said:

The lack of investment in the ground is abysmal. Even in the dark days of the 70s, it was one of the best grounds in the country.

in a 10 year (86-96) period the club made  major investment on 3 sides of the ground and it was  then still one of the top stadiums in the country since then we have been losing money  hand over fist and fighting for a time for our very existence so its no surprise that they have fallen behind some other clubs ........  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

For the cost of a new stadium you could not get Hillsborough to compete with a modern stadium..  The only solution is going to be to move, however that would cost a lot of money and is just not financially viable at this moment in time..  I think what has been done is sensible, spend a bit on it to try and tart it up with the new screen and advertising boards etc, stuff that you could move or sell... But other than that try to get things right on the pitch is more important at the moment, if we made it into the prem then we can look at a stadium upgrade..   

Personally I still love Hillsborough, it has an oldie world charm about it that so many modern stadiums lack..  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Windsor Park is below the 30k mininum capacity.

Casement park in Belfast holds more than 30,000 but this is used for Gaelic football and hurling. 
Croke park in Dublin holds over 80,000 and is used for the same sports as Casement.

12 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think if they are any games in Sheffield it will be at Bramall Lane or more likely not at all.

In last few years when anything like this has come to Sheffield it has been at Bramall Lane.

For example the Rugby League World Cup group game England v Greece in the Autumn is at Bramall Lane.

I think the people in charge at Wednesday are unlikely to be interested if Sheffield was offered a game especially with all the money, organisation and hard work that goes into putting anything like this on.

Ha Ha England Vs Greece ? They'll need to bring back the cricket score board.

12 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

It’s shame because being next to Hillsborough park is ideal for a fan park and we have the transport links to and from the city. 

If the WC plans had gone ahead regardless the stadium would definitely be in the running. There was a time when Hillsborough was called the Wembley of the North. 

How times have changed eh. 

we're still the Wembley of the North, the old one  which has been knocked down

13 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

I’m not even sure we’d host a game if it was just England hosting

But the UK and Ireland? No chance

Wembley

Old Trafford

Etihad

Emirates

Tottenham

Stamford Bridge

Anfield

Stadium MK

Celtic Park

Ibrox

Hamden

Millenium Stadium

Aviva 

St James Park

Stadium of Light 

St Mary’s 

Leicester

Would they use 4 stadiums in London 2 stadiums in Glasgow 2 in Manchester do they usually spread the competitions around the country no only for diversity but for the hotels and retail economy 

general question I don’t know 

and remember the heritage that these are based on 

Sheffield that boast the oldest football club and stadium and where the rules were written ( something along those lines ) 

I think a Sheffield club would deffo get selected and just on that Hillsborough got selected over Boumhole lane and wasn’t that ore chansiri improvements when they already had a hotel built plus premier league status or just had premier league status 

10 hours ago, catdog1121 said:

For the cost of a new stadium you could not get Hillsborough to compete with a modern stadium..  The only solution is going to be to move, however that would cost a lot of money and is just not financially viable at this moment in time..  I think what has been done is sensible, spend a bit on it to try and tart it up with the new screen and advertising boards etc, stuff that you could move or sell... But other than that try to get things right on the pitch is more important at the moment, if we made it into the prem then we can look at a stadium upgrade..   

Personally I still love Hillsborough, it has an oldie world charm about it that so many modern stadiums lack..  

Don't get me wrong, love Hillsborough and would never want to leave, just prefer the old stadiums. Concern is not sure where we will get the investment to pay for the upkeep. Seems changing bulbs is difficult let alone anything structural. At what point do parts of the ground get closed off ie NW corner etc. We so need a couple of promotions.

• Like 1

Daft thing is, the stuff Hillsborough desperately needs to get up to scratch is all the stuff we could have done for relative peanuts when we were splashing the cash in 2015.

Upgrading of the power system across stadium, interior decorating of concourses and corporate areas, increasing the stadium control area so it's fit for purpose. Along with getting up to date for Premier League regulations, expansion of press area, broadcast boxes etc. 

Hillsborough being upgraded would be a easy win for the FA and UEFA, the FA to draw a line under 89, for UEFA to say the power of the The European Championship restoring this once great stadium to it's former glory. Plus, the park being next door will always be a big draw for such a competition.

Unfortunately there's just too much to do and not enough forward thinking from within the club at present to rectify (not a dig at the current people there, they have more pressing matters at hand).

If Sheffield were to be romanticised for being the birthplace of football, it would be much more cost effective to stick a few more seats in Bramall Lane, which has had the incremental TLC we've so shamefully been lacking over 20+ years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, musingowl said:

Daft thing is, the stuff Hillsborough desperately needs to get up to scratch is all the stuff we could have done for relative peanuts when we were splashing the cash in 2015.

Upgrading of the power system across stadium, interior decorating of concourses and corporate areas, increasing the stadium control area so it's fit for purpose. Along with getting up to date for Premier League regulations, expansion of press area, broadcast boxes etc. 

Hillsborough being upgraded would be a easy win for the FA and UEFA, the FA to draw a line under 89, for UEFA to say the power of the The European Championship restoring this once great stadium to it's former glory. Plus, the park being next door will always be a big draw for such a competition.

Unfortunately there's just too much to do and not enough forward thinking from within the club at present to rectify (not a dig at the current people there, they have more pressing matters at hand).

If Sheffield were to be romanticised for being the birthplace of football, it would be much more cost effective to stick a few more seats in Bramall Lane, which has had the incremental TLC we've so shamefully been lacking over 20+ years.

Whilst I agree with most of this... It's not cheaper to add 10, 000 seats than it is to add a bit of cladding, corporate seating, and generally redecoration. Otherwise them c*nts would have already done it, especially during the mccabe era just to get one up on us

19 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Its looking in good shape at the moment.

165712879-e511ea97-646e-456e-bd19-95cfa24ba6fd-1.jpg

00121b4a-500.jpg

the-sorry-decline-of-casement-park.jpg

A bit of the trim with the clump and it will be fine.

Personally speaking that place has a dark place in history due to the events of March 19th 1988

R.I.P Corporal Wood and Corporal Howes

2 hours ago, TheGaffer said:

Whilst I agree with most of this... It's not cheaper to add 10, 000 seats than it is to add a bit of cladding, corporate seating, and generally redecoration. Otherwise them c*nts would have already done it, especially during the mccabe era just to get one up on us

Saying it’s had just a bit of cladding and redecoration only highlights your ignorance of what has actually been done. 

Hillsborough is far behind Bramall Lane and many other, and it will cost a good few million to bring it even up to Premier League standard. 

That’s even before thinking about redevelopment on the lines of the World Cup ‘18 plans which bore no resemblance whatsoever to what was on the glossy video and the laughable cost of what Strafford thought it could be done for and what that redevelopment would actually have cost.

1 hour ago, Owling with laughter said:

Saying it’s had just a bit of cladding and redecoration only highlights your ignorance of what has actually been done. 

Hillsborough is far behind Bramall Lane and many other, and it will cost a good few million to bring it even up to Premier League standard. 

That’s even before thinking about redevelopment on the lines of the World Cup ‘18 plans which bore no resemblance whatsoever to what was on the glossy video and the laughable cost of what Strafford thought it could be done for and what that redevelopment would actually have cost.

It doesn't highlight my ignorance. It highlights my knowledge. I said extending a stadium by circa 10k costs more than redecoration. 

If you wanna qs it out then fair enough... 

Just now, TheGaffer said:

It doesn't highlight my ignorance. It highlights my knowledge. I said extending a stadium by circa 10k costs more than redecoration. 

If you wanna qs it out then fair enough... 

What's the price of steel and concrete just out of curiosity? 😉

25 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

It could easily happen, all that needs to happen is that we all go to bed and then somehow we're magically transported back in time, and when we wake up it's 1966.

If that happened, I would buy several copies of Revolver and Pet sounds then sell

them when I go back to 2022

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

If that happened, I would buy several copies of Revolver and Pet sounds then sell

them when I go back to 2022

I would go to Weybridge where Lennon was living in 1966 get his autograph, then tell him to not go out to the recording session on Dec 8th 1980

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 1

On 23/03/2022 at 10:13, steelcityowlsfan said:

Looks like England and Ireland have the best chance of being selected as hosts for Euro 2028. 

With that in mind do we think Hillsborough will be a host venue?

Typically successful bids receive FA and local authority funding though Hillsborough does look like it needs a bit of work?

Thoughts? 

More chance they'll play in my back garden...

• Like 1