Gurujuan January 2022 Transfer Window MEGATHREAD

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Well no not really.

Much rather him be an issue somewhere else than us, if he is going to cause grief.

We need younger guys not aging pros on big wages, who aren't even ours anyway.

I don't disagree that ideally we'd have younger guys in the side. But our defence has been battered by injuries and we are getting pasted from set pieces every single week. We need to try scrape into the playoffs at least this season and signing someone who is a bit of a sh*thouse (but great in the air) seems like a good move for me. It's a tough league to get out of and we saw in the past an older head in defence can help immensely. Especially one whose played the past 9-10 seasons in the league above.

• Like 1

I think Dean is a good signing.

Solid and consistent Championship performer for a good number of years now. A reminder we’re in the third tier. Should be able to head and kick a ball out of the 18 yard box, something we’ve struggled with all season.

God knows what went off with him and Bowyer, but not beyond the realms of possibility that Bowyer is the issue there. The bloke who had a full on scrap with his own teammate in the middle of a game? 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I'm not against the signing, I think he will be good.

I am just concerned that we are once again focusing on the now players instead of the future and will continute to make the same old mistakes time and time again.

When restricted to loan and free transfers all you can get are “now” players though really.

• Like 1

Not really sure what’s happened between dean and bowyer. It sounds like comments from a manager that is clearly wanting rid and almost pushing him out himself, just reading bowyers comments on him though why doesn’t bowyer strip him if his captaincy if he’s not happy how certain things are done

anyway back to the actual signing excellent in my opinion dean will have a big presence and voice be a winner and a leader and is a solid Cb giving us options flexibility and depth again 

I’d still go to a back four 

BPF

hunt.           Dean.        Hutchinson.      Palmer 

Luongo.           Bannan 

windass.           John-jules.               Mendez-laing

Gregory 

if we can get that clicking think we will be fine 

Inly concern I’d have if is that windass is sharp and clinical when played centrally will we lose too many goals and threats playing him out wide and I’m being a hypocrite by not playing players in their best position and trying to shoe-horn them in the team 

but for me this is the best team we can put out with strength abs balance 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

When restricted to loan and free transfers all you can get are “now” players though really.

Not necessarily.

We managed to get Byers in similarly, one with a bit more upside then others we have signed.

We also signed Brown which I imagine we had one eye on the future too tbh.

• Like 1

Our defence is crap. 6 conceded in the last three games. 2 of our centre backs aren’t actually centre backs and the one that actually is a centre back is often either over committed and out of position or ball watching.

Any help we can get is needed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Not necessarily.

We managed to get Byers in similarly, one with a bit more upside then others we have signed.

We also signed Brown which I imagine we had one eye on the future too tbh.

True but they were summer signings when a lot more players are free agents, the January transfer window is an entirely different prospect.

1 hour ago, swfcGibbo said:

I don't disagree that ideally we'd have younger guys in the side. But our defence has been battered by injuries and we are getting pasted from set pieces every single week. We need to try scrape into the playoffs at least this season and signing someone who is a bit of a sh*thouse (but great in the air) seems like a good move for me. It's a tough league to get out of and we saw in the past an older head in defence can help immensely. Especially one whose played the past 9-10 seasons in the league above.

I have no problem signing experienced but they have to play every game.

none of this rubbish of getting used to the team, players etc. 

he and Storey are here to keep clean sheets. 

If they do that we need 1 goal a game to win games, not 3 to try and get a draw.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Not really sure what’s happened between dean and bowyer. It sounds like comments from a manager that is clearly wanting rid and almost pushing him out himself, just reading bowyers comments on him though why doesn’t bowyer strip him if his captaincy if he’s not happy how certain things are done

anyway back to the actual signing excellent in my opinion dean will have a big presence and voice be a winner and a leader and is a solid Cb giving us options flexibility and depth again 

I’d still go to a back four 

BPF

hunt.           Dean.        Hutchinson.      Palmer 

Luongo.           Bannan 

windass.           John-jules.               Mendez-laing

Gregory 

if we can get that clicking think we will be fine 

Inly concern I’d have if is that windass is sharp and clinical when played centrally will we lose too many goals and threats playing him out wide and I’m being a hypocrite by not playing players in their best position and trying to shoe-horn them in the team 

but for me this is the best team we can put out with strength abs balance 

Can I ask what you thinking playing Bannan as a defensive midfielder, if you have him in this role surely playing FDB or Dennis when fit or Byers would be better for that role.

Bannan is mean to create and score goals or it's a waste of £20k+ a week for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Can I ask what you thinking playing Bannan as a defensive midfielder, if you have him in this role surely playing FDB or Dennis when fit or Byers would be better for that role.

Bannan is mean to create and score goals or it's a waste of £20k+ a week for me.

Can’t say that on here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Didn’t want to start a new thread but has anyone heard when Iorfa is expected back? Whenever expected return dates are mentioned for other players that are injured nothing seems to be mentioned for Iorfa. 

No answer to this yet? Him returning would be huge. Seems to have vanished.

49 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yeah because having watched bannan for long enough now I know he plays deep and with and  attacking 4 where John jules can come deep to link up play bannan and luongo have plenty of outs and no doubt will see them as they have both done over last few games one of them push forward whilst in possession 

58 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You cannot criticise Bannan on here mate, you know the rule is the team has to be built to accommodate him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I'm not against the signing, I think he will be good.

I am just concerned that we are once again focusing on the now players instead of the future and will continute to make the same old mistakes time and time again.

Experience is needed kids don't get out of league 1

Think not signing a left back gives us a clue to which system he’s gona carry on using? I’d rather go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but he seems to have ditched that idea? But I’m sure having dean and storey with hutch sweeper will cut out a lot of the silly ball watching schololboy errors that our make shift cb have been giving away? Now I know they wouldn’t have stopped all the goals we conceding but I’m certain we’d be higher up the table with those two we’ve just signed playing weeks ago

1 hour ago, Owlcoholic said:

No answer to this yet? Him returning would be huge. Seems to have vanished.

Think Moores most recent comment was that he's back to running on grass now.

However he said its too early to talk of return dates which suggests it will be a while.

And of course its unlikely we would have signed 2 CBs if we thought he would be back any time soon.

• Thanks 1