DC at the airport ! Christmas sacking?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It's another test for DC now. Done ok of late, put Liam Dooley in charge of day to day running, given the manager everything he wanted in terms of backroom staff and player recruitment, got ticket prices right and generally started the season with positive vibes. Importantly, he's also kept his mouth shut and funded the club properly, like a competent owner should.

Β 

On paper, we've got one of the best squads in this league, but not performing on the pitch, results and performances not good enough.Β 

Β 

As the only one who can affect change to save our season, what does he do and when does he do it?

Β 

Β 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, striker said:

It's another test for DC now. Done ok of late, put Liam Dooley in charge of day to day running, given the manager everything he wanted in terms of backroom staff and player recruitment, got ticket prices right and generally started the season with positive vibes. Importantly, he's also kept his mouth shut and funded the club properly, like a competent owner should.

Β 

Β 

Agreed - I have zero complaints really about the Chairman this last year or soΒ 

I was hoping we could somehow put together a rag tag of misfits like we have and push on but sadly it's not quite worked on the pitch yet

But fair play to the Chairman over the last year - he's been fine

• Like 8

Β 

Owlstalk Shop

Β 

Β 

Β 

5 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Β 

How do you actually know that?

Compared to the staff he's been allowed bring in and recruitment compared to previous seasons, Moore has had far more than other recent managers, and seemed pleased with our work in the transfer window.Β 

Β 

Considering the squad and staff he has around him, no excusesΒ  that the owner hasn't supported Moore.Β 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Compared to the staff he's been allowed bring in and recruitment compared to previous seasons, Moore has had far more than other recent managers

Β 

But we needed to recruit a lot of new players this season simply because we let so many go in the summer.

Β 

And wasn't Gary Monk (eventually) allowed to bring his own backroom staff?

Β 

I don't know exactly what DM asked for any more than you do, but I see nothing which suggests he's been treated any more favourably than other recent managers.

• Haha 1

Despite everyone calling this a tough league the standard this year is shocking IMO.

Β 

Ipswich who everyone was saying would romp the league in the summer have less points than we do. LESS POINTS THAN US! It feels like we haven't won or played well in months also.

It's an opportunity for DC to get this right. Whether that's backing Moore to bring a free agent in to help with the injury crisis or looking to recruit another manager. We are heading into a really crucial period. If we can scrape some results and get into January in the top 6 then we can have a real go for it. We have the basis of a good side and if we can get Gregory and Windass in the team together there's a real opportunity to kick on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Β 

But we needed to recruit a lot of new players this season simply because we let so many go in the summer.

Β 

Β 

I don't know exactly what DM asked for any more than you do, but I see nothing which suggests he's been treated any more favourably than other recent managers.

he has had a better backing than any of the more recent managers. That cannot be questioned, the proof is in the pudding as they say.Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spondon Owl said:

This is it. He's made out to be a monster but I don't think hes he's Dave Allen type. He's just a bit non streetwise in the football game.

Β 

Genuinely would love to see him turn things around.

He's been here 6 years and made loads of mistakes. Surely that's enough time to learn.Β 

Oh.. we're talking about a man who doesn't believe he ever makes mistakes so he cannot learn from anything he hasn't done.Β 

Hope that's not seen as a personal attack on DC.Β 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Of course we don't know the inner discussions.Β But, he's been allowed to bring in a full backroom team, coaches, analysts etc earlier and in greater numbers than Monk, for example.

Β 

Recruitment has also been chalk and cheese compared to previous managers, to say otherwise is inaccurate. Allowed to keep his best players and recruited a lot of players, who on paper, would have improved on our last championship squad.Β 

Β 

Moore has had more control and backing than any manager since Carlos (not counting Bruce who wasn't here long enough).Β 

Β 

I don't think there is any evidence that Moore has had his hands tied in any way, shape or form. Yes, there will have been budget constraints and EFL restrictions, but has been backed with a squad which was more than good enough for this league and plenty of staff round him to support.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Β 

Recruitment has also been chalk and cheese compared to previous managers, to say otherwise is inaccurate. Allowed to keep his best players and recruited a lot of players, who on paper, would have improved on our last championship squad.Β 

Β 

Β 

Sorry, but I absolutely have to take issue with that.

Β 

We pretty much broke last seasons squad up. The players he was "allowed to keep" are those who were under contract and couldn't simply be let go.

Β 

The replacements were bargain basement. Frees and loans. Some of those do have Championship experience, but others were surplus to requirements or on the fringes of the first team at their previous or parent clubs. To claim that they are at least as good if not better than the players they replaced really is a bit far fetched IMO.

Β 

As to the backroom staff, I know he was allowed to bring a couple of assistants and subsequently employed a psychologist, but I've seen no evidence at all that he was given or allowed to take on a large team. And absolutely none of us know what he asked for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Β 

Sorry, but I absolutely have to take issue with that.

Β 

We pretty much broke last seasons squad up. The players he was "allowed to keep" are those who were under contract and couldn't simply be let go.

Β 

The replacements were bargain basement. Frees and loans. Some of those do have Championship experience, but others were surplus to requirements or on the fringes of the first team at their previous or parent clubs. To claim that they are at least as good if not better than the players they replaced really is a bit far fetched IMO.

Β 

As to the backroom staff, I know he was allowed to bring a couple of assistants and subsequently employed a psychologist, but I've seen no evidence at all that he was given or allowed to take on a large team. And absolutely none of us know what he asked for.

Β 

You are missing or forgetting a few important points. We didn't "break up" last seasons squad; it was allowed to expire due to a total mismanagement of the players and their contracts. Bannan, Iorfa and Windass all signed new contracts. Did they need to? No, but they did. As for the other players, granted, they are under contract so we don't have to let them go unless we get an asking price, or they are deemed surplus.

Β 

With regards to our bargain basement replacements, we are under an embargo where we can only sign players for free, or on loan. Whilst I've been critical of Moore and his selections and tactics, and more than critical of DC and his attempts at running a club, to say we actually have a squad competing in the top 10 is almost akin to a miracle given the state we were in at the start of the season. It's credit to Moore (and Bannan in some parts) that we have the players that we now have.

Β 

I agree with @strikerΒ in that it certainly appears that Moore has had more control, and more backing, than any manager since CC.Β 

• Like 1

Had Pulis been given the blank piece of paper and budget Moore has enjoyed, we would have walked this league. Let’s not forget that previous managers have in the main inherited someone else’s players. This summer was a huge opportunity to get it right. Β 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1