Ronaldo to Citeh?

Mickjj

7 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

You’ve got to respect these guys. Their fitness routines, diet etc etc must be incredible. 

Absolutely 

Worth noting that Ronaldo is older than Wayne Rooney whose career went south about 5 years ago 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Django said:

Outstanding start from the GOAT 

At 36 he’s showing no let up, truly remarkable. Only Zlatan comes close for the way he’s stayed at the top of his game in a top league despite his advancing years 

Absolutely. Whilst Messi sulks at being subbed off for PSG and already rumours of a grudge with his compatriot Poch. 

There's only one GOAT. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Absolutely. Whilst Messi sulks at being subbed off for PSG and already rumours of a grudge with his compatriot Poch. 

There's only one GOAT. 

Whilst i agree with you, I think it’s best not to speak about has beens like Messi in threads like this. This thread should be about celebrating the GOAT that is Cristiano Ronaldo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Whilst Ronaldo bangs them in against top sides such as Newcastle, Young Boys and West Ham :ph34r:

If Messi scored against those teams I doubt anything would be said though 

Man Utd have got Villarreal, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester coming up, if he bags against this lot will it suffice? Or will it only count if he scores against City & Chelsea?

Not having a go, but I genuinely don’t get the notion that someone whose done it in every league and has 482 goals in 615 league appearances suddenly can’t do it after proving season after season he can? Where’s the evidence he’ll flop 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

If Messi scored against those teams I doubt anything would be said though 

Man Utd have got Villarreal, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester coming up, if he bags against this lot will it suffice? Or will it only count if he scores against City & Chelsea?

Not having a go, but I genuinely don’t get the notion that someone whose done it in every league and has 482 goals in 615 league appearances suddenly can’t do it after proving season after season he can? Where’s the evidence he’ll flop 

Oh, FreshOwl

image.png.30af8dedfb24d0c01317d9320093b148.png

• Haha 1

In all seriousness though, Ronaldo has hit the ground running. 

Bar playing the top 4, you would suspect he will score pretty much against everyone. He doesn't do all that much and then bang, a sudden movement and he's got a goal. 

As for Messi, early days, but I'm wondering if joining the Harlem Globetrotters is panning out quite how he imagined. Think I read yesterday and they've got a squad of around 35 players at PSG which is just bonkers. God knows how you manage so many egos. 

Ronaldo reveling in being the main man, whilst Messi struggles to find his feet atm. 

There was a clip doing the rounds on Sunday of Messi with the ball, twisting and turning, trying to find an option and not one PSG player moves to give him an option.  

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

In all seriousness though, Ronaldo has hit the ground running. 

Bar playing the top 4, you would suspect he will score pretty much against everyone. He doesn't do all that much and then bang, a sudden movement and he's got a goal. 

As for Messi, early days, but I'm wondering if joining the Harlem Globetrotters is panning out quite how he imagined. Think I read yesterday and they've got a squad of around 35 players at PSG which is just bonkers. God knows how you manage so many egos. 

Ronaldo reveling in being the main man, whilst Messi struggles to find his feet atm. 

There was a clip doing the rounds on Sunday of Messi with the ball, twisting and turning, trying to find an option and not one PSG player moves to give him an option.  

With Messi it looks a clear case of a world class player walking into a team with no system.

Which is why in the Pep Guardiola thread, I stressed it wasn’t enough just to sign top class players and automatically assume you’ll win everything, but a real top manager has them playing in a fluid tactical system which benefits & gets the most out of each player 

At PSG they don’t seem to have that system, and Messi (although still world class), can’t go breezing past 7-8 players like he could 10 years ago, so you need to play to his strengths 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

With Messi it looks a clear case of a world class player walking into a team with no system.

Which is why in the Pep Guardiola thread, I stressed it wasn’t enough just to sign top class players and automatically assume you’ll win everything, but a real top manager has them playing in a fluid tactical system which benefits & gets the most out of each player 

At PSG they don’t seem to have that system, and Messi (although still world class), can’t go breezing past 7-8 players like he could 10 years ago, so you need to play to his strengths 

Yep. They are just trying to buy the Champs League without much thought as to the actual team. 

Thing also with Messi is he's not just a goalscorer, he's also a player who likes to create, dictate games etc. 

13 minutes ago, Django said:

Can you all stop derailing the Ronaldo thread with talk of Messi please

I don’t go steaming into the wrestling thread and start changing the subject to crown green bowling do I 

It has become incredibly tedious I agree. It’s just when people criticise Ronaldo, they justify it with a comparison with Messi which isn’t warranted 

Ronaldo at the moment looks to be relying more on clever short movements to get a toe/tap in etc… although he can still dart into the box too… he just can’t sprint down the wings etc much anymore 

Hopefully he isn’t too isolated against the best defences. 

I think having pace and movement round him is a good idea - like Mason Greenwood wider to put it on a plate for him 

I do think there's a tendency to downplay Ronaldo's current game just to try and make a point that he's not as good as he used to be.

Goalscorers of Ronaldo's calibre don't just happen. Some of the most highly regarded strikers in the history of the game have been praised for the same "right place right time" mentality that Ronaldo plays with now. Ronaldo has turned himself into that player through the course of his 30's. How many pure goalscoring centre forwards would you pick from the modern game above Ronaldo? Lewa and Kane are the other two I can think of, and they're players who have dedicated their careers to that role. 

Tap in's, penalties.. it doesn't matter. That almost unrivalled ability to stick the ball in the net is why he's in the team. It's not a common commodity and Ronaldo's ability to carry on doing it, to change his game, to have that longevity, is part of why people think he's the greatest. 

• Like 1