Ronaldo to Citeh?

Mickjj

Never, ever has a second team until my daughter met her fella who's a City fan.

Had some great lads days out in Manchester with a match thrown in and it means I can go and watch Messi again in a few weeks.

Used to like United but not now although having Ronaldo in my FF team alters things slightly.

No second team for me, bit there are teams who I think are ok.

Don't mind City, Everton (yes, I know about 1966) and Southampton are ok too.

Tbf, plenty of teams are pretty inoffensive.

Brighton can f*ck off though. 

• Haha 1

Soft spot for Man Utd from me too, one of my older sisters supports them and she started before 1991 and before their fans became called glory supporters.

Growing up in the south I always found it was Arsenal that had the glory supporters during the Henry days, but I appreciate it may be different up north.

I’ve got a grudging respect for Man U - regardless of how they’re playing, they’re the biggest club in the country and their support is decent. Love Manchester as a city and got lots of mates there who are all United fans. 

It was pretty entertaining to watch the meltdown when they went to shít after Fergie retired… couldn’t stand them during the 90s and 00s because they won everything, but looking back now, what an unbelievable manager he was, probably the best ever IMO

31 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I’ve got a grudging respect for Man U - regardless of how they’re playing, they’re the biggest club in the country and their support is decent. Love Manchester as a city and got lots of mates there who are all United fans. 

It was pretty entertaining to watch the meltdown when they went to shít after Fergie retired… couldn’t stand them during the 90s and 00s because they won everything, but looking back now, what an unbelievable manager he was, probably the best ever IMO

Very similar to Arsenal in terms of having a great manager in charge for such a long time, when both left/retired the clubs have gone backwards and have struggled big time to climb back.

Arsenal fans hounded Wenger out for "only finishing top 4" but you look back and look at them now, he did an incredible job keeping them in the top 4.

Fergie winning the title in his last season, reaching almost 90 points with that squad he had was brilliant. 

Yes he had Rooney, Van Persie, De Gea in amazing form and an ageing Ferdinand etc.

But he also had the likes of Tom Cleverley, Welbeck, Rafael, Phil Jones all playing regularly.

15 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Very similar to Arsenal in terms of having a great manager in charge for such a long time, when both left/retired the clubs have gone backwards and have struggled big time to climb back.

Arsenal fans hounded Wenger out for "only finishing top 4" but you look back and look at them now, he did an incredible job keeping them in the top 4.

Fergie winning the title in his last season, reaching almost 90 points with that squad he had was brilliant. 

Yes he had Rooney, Van Persie, De Gea in amazing form and an ageing Ferdinand etc.

But he also had the likes of Tom Cleverley, Welbeck, Rafael, Phil Jones all playing regularly.

Fergie was also a class act off the pitch from interviews I’ve read or heard with ex-players. Stam and Beckham and the rest might disagree, but no player was bigger than the club when he was there and his record speaks for itself. 

It’s difficult nowadays to imagine a top club keeping a manager for 20 years like Man U and Arsenal did with Fergie and Wenger - another thing they were both excellent at was revamping the squad every few years and staying at their peak… maybe Fergie more so than Wenger in their later years, but the rivalry between those two teams when they were at their very best in the late 90s/early 00s was brilliant to watch as a neutral

That United team of the mid 90s won a lot of titles, but were they really as good as people say or is there a hint of nostalgia kicking in for some people? 

I mean they rarely romped the league, won it with usually around 70-80 points 

They wouldn’t be close to the Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool’s of today IMO 

7 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

That United team of the mid 90s won a lot of titles, but were they really as good as people say or is there a hint of nostalgia kicking in for some people? 

I mean they rarely romped the league, won it with usually around 70-80 points 

They wouldn’t be close to the Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool’s of today IMO 

I don't think that's fair tbh and i don't go along with the assumption that because it was played back in the old days it was worse.

Yes, they didn't win the league with 90 points, but then that could also be said to show the league was more competitive.

The likes of Schmeichel, Pallister, Keane, and many from the class of 92 and so on would all find themselves playing in top teams. 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I don't think that's fair tbh and i don't go along with the assumption that because it was played back in the old days it was worse.

Yes, they didn't win the league with 90 points, but then that could also be said to show the league was more competitive.

The likes of Schmeichel, Pallister, Keane, and many from the class of 92 and so on would all find themselves playing in top teams. 

I do hold the belief that football back in the 90s is nowhere near the quality of today, and I’ve seen both live. Obviously with an exception of certain players, I’m talking generally/overall 

They weren’t as fit, they weren’t as athletic, a lot of them would be gasping for breath at half time in today’s game. With the shape of players today, the nutrients they take in, the high press tactics. 

It wasn’t until the influx of foreign players in the late 90s/early 2000s when the overall quality really improved, but it was still behind The Spanish league, and arguably Italy & Germany too 

But in 2021, wow, we’re comfortably the best league in the world at the moment 

Whilst the famous treble winners won the league with 79 points in 1999...

So there is a pretty valid argument that comparing points totals is not an overly valid method of comparison from team to team.

Perhaps one way would be European performances and up until 1999, Man U were well short. Now, I would be very surprised if an English team doesn't get to the Champions League final.

In saying this, it could just as be down to the fact most of Europe is crap right now.

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I do hold the belief that football back in the 90s is nowhere near the quality of today, and I’ve seen both live. Obviously with an exception of certain players, I’m talking generally/overall 

They weren’t as fit, they weren’t as athletic, a lot of them would be gasping for breath at half time in today’s game. With the shape of players today, the nutrients they take in, the high press tactics. 

It wasn’t until the influx of foreign players in the late 90s/early 2000s when the overall quality really improved, but it was still behind The Spanish league, and arguably Italy & Germany too 

But in 2021, wow, we’re comfortably the best league in the world at the moment 

I mean obviously the levels of health and performance have improved, but everything is relative.

You can't sit there and tell me that great players of the 90s wouldn't be top players now, surely? 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

I mean obviously the levels of health and performance have improved, but everything is relative.

You can't sit there and tell me that great players of the 90s wouldn't be top players now, surely? 

Like I said with the exception of certain players  like the ones you’ve mentioned, Zola. Bergkamp, overmars of the late 90s

But overall, I mean think about it. Look at the teams of clubs like Norwich, Southampton, Oldham from around 93/94 who were in the premier league then. They were barely proper footballers and would probably be league 1 quality in today’s game lol 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Like I said with the exception of certain players  like the ones you’ve mentioned, Zola. Bergkamp, overmars of the late 90s

But overall, I mean think about it. Look at the teams of clubs like Norwich, Southampton, Oldham from around 93/94 who were in the premier league then. They were barely proper footballers and would probably be league 1 quality in today’s game lol 

Right and the the great players at Norwich, Southampton and so forth are pulling up trees these days?

Most teams are just cannon fodder for top clubs.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Right and the the great players at Norwich, Southampton and so forth are pulling up trees these days?

Most teams are just cannon fodder for top clubs.

That’s true, the point I’m making though is the overall quality has improved across the division 

For example, Norwich of 2021 would smash Norwich of 1993 

Btw, I think the quality is better these days, but I think it is quite difficult to draw comparisons with what was going on nearly 30 years ago.

Yes, the league has improved with the influx of cash, foreign coaches, players and so forth, but there was still some great players back then, many of whom would thrive in today's league. Certainly those playing for a top side like Manchester United.

Just now, FreshOwl said:

That’s true, the point I’m making though is the overall quality has improved across the division 

For example, Norwich of 2021 would smash Norwich of 1993 

Norwich of 1993 finished third in the league and beat Bayern Munich.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Norwich of 1993 finished third in the league and beat Bayern Munich.

Damn that wasn’t the best example lolprobably around 3-4 teams from that era would be on par with today’s premier league, but the rest would get battered. All my opinion of course  

I watched a lot of Premier League years growing up ok 😂