Premier League 21/22

What can a new manager do at Man Utd?

I'd play Ronaldo a little deeper, he has a huge amount of assists over his career and Man Utd are blessed with lighting fast attacking options. Runners with pace, going beyond Ronaldo, like Kane with Son and Lucas Moura at Tottenham.

Probably look towards having a midfield central 3 with Pogba, Fernandes, McTominay or Fred - (Matic is done) 

Back 5 should work better, when everything in front of them is settled

5 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

I'd play Ronaldo a little deeper, he has a huge amount of assists over his career and Man Utd are blessed with lighting fast attacking options. Runners with pace, going beyond Ronaldo, like Kane with Son and Lucas Moura at Tottenham.

Probably look towards having a midfield central 3 with Pogba, Fernandes, McTominay or Fred - (Matic is done) 

If I were a man Utd fan I'd be over the moon you have no chance of getting the job. 

That midfield is somehow worse then owt OGS has picked 

Guest Mcguigan
5 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

As a deeper forward, like Kane does well for Tottenham 

I think Kane’s looked his worst, for both Tottenham and England, now he’s decided he should play as a deeper forward.

17 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Ronaldo just cares about his goal tally now I think. No way he would perform that role well.

17 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

aka the world's luckiest man

As per the advice from Fergie. They need to stop listening to his advice for real and get him away from big modern day decisions the club have to make. He hasn’t been in the game for nearly 10 years 

Such a sentimental, Disney attraction club. Caught up in the morals of what ‘United are supposed to be’ 

Edited by FreshOwl

Maybe a new coach comes in to support ole on the training pitch.  

Agree with many of points on here. Man Utd seem to be a play thing of the super agent. Spurs, Chelsea, wolves and others also caught up in all of that . It’s a dangerous place to be for a club.  Read a good piece in guardian that having Ronaldo stand around.up top and not pressing has left next layer back - rashford, greenwood etc- not knowing what to do out of possession, and that is causing the gaps in the team. 

2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

If you compared the two teams including management  on Sunday,, how many of the United squad would make the liverpool team.

I think the answer tells you all you need to know about old Trafford at the moment.

Thats the thing though, if you had that squad of players plenty of the Man Utd ones would get into a combined side in my opinion, and it would be an incredible side - if Klopp was managing 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

As per the advice from Fergie. They need to stop listening to his advice for real and get him away from big modern day decisions the club have to make. He hasn’t been in the game for nearly 10 years 

Such a sentimental, Disney attraction club. Caught up in the morals of what ‘United are supposed to be’ 

One of the more astute comments I've ever read about the modern Man U was a random tweet, from someone who I'd class as being part of their "core" support, that said "there is now a generation of United fans who think the 90's is how things have always been". 

I think that's bang on. United have always been a big and successful club, but only 1 United manager has won them the league title in 54 years - he just won a lot of them. The sustained success Sir Alex brought them was not normal. It isn't how things have always been. It isn't realistic to expect or demand ever again. But they have an international fanbase and a status as the biggest club in the world built on a generation of fans who grew up not knowing anything else. 

United seem locked into repeating SAF's early years when the club stuck by him and where he didn't win anything for years. Times are different. Manchester United are different. They buckled away from that stance at the first opportunity by sacking Moyes and have joined the "elite manager" carousel since, so this insistence on backing OGS while he isn't winning anything just feels like a waste of time. They need to forget the way things were for SAF, sack OGS now, and bring in whoever they think is going to get them the most immediate improvement for the next 18 months. They need to forget longevity for that gig until the next Tuchel, Klopp or Naglesmann emerges and they can strike early on them. 

• Like 2

They're like when Liverpool were stuck in the whole "boot room" approach in the 90s.

People get jobs at Man U (manager, coaches) because they were successful for them in the 90s/00s.

Neville's argument they should resist appointing a world class manager on account of Van Gaal and Mourinho failing is nonsense tbh. I understand not wanting to call for your mate to be sacked, but dont kid yourself that a world class manager couldn't do better with this current side.

He did a solid enough job until this season, but the time to kick on, to properly challenge, is now and Ole ain't doing that. Trying to play a 4-2-4 against Liverpool was utter madness. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Neville's argument they should resist appointing a world class manager on account of Van Gaal and Mourinho failing is nonsense tbh. I understand not wanting to call for your mate to be sacked, but dont kid yourself that a world class manager couldn't do better with this current side.

Even there though I think there's a problem with the term "World Class Manager", and then in the next breath mentioning Van Gaal and Mourinho. 

You get the feeling even their definition of a world class manager just feels dated and stuffy. Mourinho's career has felt in steady decline for a while, and Van Gaal has spent most of the last decade trying to decide if he wants to retire or manage Holland. United haven't gone out there and beaten anybody to the punch with an exciting new up and coming coach. Can they even still do it? Do they even want to?

There's probably a fair point rattling around in Neville's brain when he's thinking about Van Gaal and Mourinho, but just lumping them into a fluffy term like "world class" while defending OGS just waters it down to nothing.