Premier League 21/22

30 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Think that’s his last game in charge, be interesting who they get in next to replace him.  Biggest club in the world but a very difficult job with that squad of players, particularly the defensive ones 

I'm not sure it is. That's not really the Man Utd way. But I think he's a dead man walking. I suspect the penny has dropped with the powers that be that he's not really a Champions League calibre manager. So expect some discrete soundings out of potential replacements in the next few months.

21 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I get why Juventus were happy to be rid of Ronaldo now. He offers very little and seems to difficult to manage. 

Maybe that's what the board wanted. If the dressing room gets fractious they can then be more justified in sacking club legend Ole and the shirt sales and exposure with Ronaldo is 'good for the brand'. 

He is still a top goal scorer, he has adapted to become a penalty box threat but you won't get much besides. Messi wont run around either but he will get far more involved in build up play, dropping deep and creating chances. 

Man City needed a penalty box player more than Man Utd. They would have been able to cope better with a player not doing the running up top but Pep wouldn't have liked the lack of pressing.  

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, I doubt Carra would slate Stevie G if it was the same situation.

Neville a bit dammed either way on Ole.

Good point that.

Ole is miles off in relation to the other managers at the teams at the top and he is responsible but to be 4-0 down at half-time at home to Liverpool is down to the players too. Yes they are second best by a distance tactically but they should still have enough about them not to wilt like that. Liverpool did not have to be at their best to be 4-0 up in 45 minutes and could have scored more. 

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, I doubt Carra would slate Stevie G if it was the same situation.

Neville a bit dammed either way on Ole.

No he wouldn't, it's an awkward position for the pundit to be in, you can't blame him for not throwing his mate under the bus 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe that's what the board wanted. If the dressing room gets fractious they can then be more justified in sacking club legend Ole and the shirt sales and exposure with Ronaldo is 'good for the brand'. 

He is still a top goal scorer, he has adapted to become a penalty box threat but you won't get much besides. Messi wont run around either but he will get far more involved in build up play, dropping deep and creating chances. 

Man City needed a penalty box player more than Man Utd. They would have been able to cope better with a player not doing the running up top but Pep wouldn't have liked the lack of pressing.  

I can't see them having a hard time to sack OGS, I'm sure most fans would understand. Certainly I can imagine they're still happy they got CR7 just based on merchandise if nothing else. Making money is what is important to their owners ultimately. 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No he wouldn't, it's an awkward position for the pundit to be in, you can't blame him for not throwing his mate under the bus 

I can't see them having a hard time to sack OGS, I'm sure most fans would understand. Certainly I can imagine they're still happy they got CR7 just based on merchandise if nothing else. Making money is what is important to their owners ultimately. 

The amount of fans wanting a change is growing by the game but if the board wouldn't have a problem why haven't they done it already? It has been clear for a while he is not at the same level as the other managers at top clubs and they have fallen short plenty of times under him. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The amount of fans wanting a change is growing by the game but if the board wouldn't have a problem why haven't they done it already? It has been clear for a while he is not at the same level as the other managers at top clubs and they have fallen short plenty of times under him. 

I don't have a clue really, I find management decisions among the top clubs in general absolutely baffling to be honest. Just in the last couple of years over half of the big 6 have appointed somebody with barely any experience or poor CVs. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think in the last few seasons he's done well enough to justify keeping him.

This season, they've made three headline grabbing signings and the pressure is now on. Now, he isn't the right man to take them to that next level.

Thing is, I'm not convinced the Glazers are that fussed about winning titles and really competing with the other clubs. For me, they care about one thing: being in the Champions League. Once that looks unachievable, they will sack him.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't have a clue really, I find management decisions among the top clubs in general absolutely baffling to be honest. Just in the last couple of years over half of the big 6 have appointed somebody with barely any experience or poor CVs. 

Said it before, I think some are looking for a novice to be the next Pep and have an impact like he did at Barcelona, Arsenal and Arteta a prime example. The reality is that Pep was a huge story because success like that at a top club with no experience rarely happens. 

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

I can think of a Man Utd legend with bags of experience who is looking for work at the moment...

Imagine that, sacking Ole and appointing Bruce before the next game.

Would be brilliant to see the meltdown. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I think in the last few seasons he's done well enough to justify keeping him.

This season, they've made three headline grabbing signings and the pressure is now on. Now, he isn't the right man to take them to that next level.

Thing is, I'm not convinced the Glazers are that fussed about winning titles and really competing with the other clubs. For me, they care about one thing: being in the Champions League. Once that looks unachievable, they will sack him.

But nearly everyone in football is of the opinion they have done that in spite of him rather than because of him. Maybe as you say they are just not listening and are happy to plod on but they have backed him significantly with transfers recently. 

Ole is quite clearly the problem at Man Utd. Saw Stan Collymoore tweet saying when he got the job, on experience, reputation, achievements he would not be in the top 50 candidates. I’d even push to say the top 100.

Should be nowhere near the job. They’ve got a truly fantastic squad and he’s struggling big time with them. A more progressive top class manager like a Klopp, Tuchel, Guardiola, Simeone would make them a force to be reckoned with.

If Man U don’t sack him this week and get Conte in, it’s truly ridiculous 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Ole is quite clearly the problem at Man Utd. Saw Stan Collymoore tweet saying when he got the job, on experience, reputation, achievements he would not be in the top 50 candidates. I’d even push to say the top 100.

Should be nowhere near the job. They’ve got a truly fantastic squad and he’s struggling big time with them. A more progressive top class manager like a Klopp, Tuchel, Guardiola, Simeone would make them a force to be reckoned with.

If Man U don’t sack him this week and get Conte in, it’s truly ridiculous 

Agree with that, though I'd also say Collymore would struggle to get a media job based on experience, reputation and achievements!