Premier League 21/22

41 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Newcastle are really dragging their heels replacing Bruce. Interesting to see who they go for eventually 

Will struggle to get a strong candidate for that job.

They look well short quality wise, could be 10 points adrift by time they get to the transfer window.  To get players in when you are staring at relegation won't be easy.  

I wonder if they end up going for someone like Nigel Pearson to try and bail out the current group as he nearly did with Watford and did with Leicester.  Then regroup and get your big name in for summer assuming they stay up.

47 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Newcastle are really dragging their heels replacing Bruce. Interesting to see who they go for eventually 

They have two people running the show with no prior experience running a football club.

Not only are they running the club - they also have a 20 percent stake!

Can have all the money in the world, but the fact is Newcastle are in a really sticky situation atm.

A poor side with no manager. Also a poor side who know most of them are surplus to requirements going forward. Same is likely to apply to whoever the new manager is too.

Edited by SiJ

It's a huge job to get Newcastle safe this year. Yes Norwich are terrible but everyone else down there has shown they can get results. The teams you would have expected to be in the bottom six like Brentford, Watford and Brighton have all shown they can win games and create chances. Burnley are down there but they have been a bit unlucky this year and have a potential star in Cornet.

Newcastle have a Championship defence and a Championship midfield. In ASM and Wilson get injured they are completely fucked. They need to sign probably four very good defensive players because conceding 23 goals in 10 games means they are going down.

Conte is an exceptional manager for Spurs. He will expect them to buy him very good players that cost big money though. But Spurs need that. They are five players away from even challenging the top four. 

It is crazy to think though about the level of managers currently working at the top end of the Premier League and even crazier to think that the biggest club in the country is happy to have a former striker continue to bumble along as their manager. 

The manager merry go round got me thinking… how many managers are out there right now that are truly world class? Seems to be a lot of mediocrity, more than usual. I’d say Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Simeone and Nagelsmann are the only 5 top level managers about at the moment - all the rest are either average or have some question marks about their record 

15 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

The manager merry go round got me thinking… how many managers are out there right now that are truly world class? Seems to be a lot of mediocrity, more than usual. I’d say Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Simeone and Nagelsmann are the only 5 top level managers about at the moment - all the rest are either average or have some question marks about their record 

This could be a reason why other managers are under pressure often - especially your Arsenals and Spurs types… Klopp and Pep have raised the bar on how good a manager can be. 

31 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Conte has been really successful too, Spurs will test that though. Ancelotti also has a great record, wasn't amazing at Everton but then who has been. 

20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Conte has been really successful too, Spurs will test that though. Ancelotti also has a great record, wasn't amazing at Everton but then who has been. 

You could argue both have some question marks about their record… Conte never sticks around for long and appears to be pretty volatile, whereas Ancelotti hasn’t won a trophy since 2017 (although his record before then is very good). Medals on the table though… yeah, fair enough.

Aside from those two, the other managers out there doing the rounds all seem like they’d be a bit of a gamble for clubs looking to win trophies - either they’re past their best, or young and haven’t achieved success yet

2 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

You could argue both have some question marks about their record… Conte never sticks around for long and appears to be pretty volatile, whereas Ancelotti hasn’t won a trophy since 2017 (although his record before then is very good). Medals on the table though… yeah, fair enough.

Aside from those two, the other managers out there doing the rounds all seem like they’d be a bit of a gamble for clubs looking to win trophies - either they’re past their best, or young and haven’t achieved success yet

Fair points. Conte seems to be about instant success rather than building like Klopp & Pep, Ancelotti is probably past his best but I wouldn't bet against Real winning something this season even though they are a shadow of what they have been in the past couple of decades. 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair points. Conte seems to be about instant success rather than building like Klopp & Pep, Ancelotti is probably past his best but I wouldn't bet against Real winning something this season even though they are a shadow of what they have been in the past couple of decades. 

Interesting how Zidane isn’t part of the conversation when jobs come up at the big clubs (and Spurs) despite his CL record at Real Madrid

1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

Mancini has done very well

Wasn't convinced by the Emery link anyway. To me that's one for 3 or 4 years time when they're further along in the project. 

I'd give Howe the keys to it for the next 2-3 years regardless of relegation. Bournemouth eventually got relegated but you could argue the several seasons before where they didn't was a good job in itself, not to mention the promotions to get them there in the first place, and the football would instantly improve. 

There's got to be an understanding at Newcastle that they might have to take a step back before they start going forward. But even then I think there's every possibility Newcastle start next season better than they are right now even if they go down.