Lionel Messi

2 hours ago, Skyline said:

Him leaving Barca was not about the money.

Him joining PSG is about them being the only club that can afford him.

He wanted to stay at barca, couldn't so he's going to PSG for the money. Can't blame him really.

You write the only club that can afford him like he couldn’t possibly go anywhere else lol 

Hes basically bankrupted Barca yet still not enough money

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

You write the only club that can afford him like he couldn’t possibly go anywhere else lol 

Hes basically bankrupted Barca yet still not enough money

Bankrupted Barca... I can guarantee he alone brought more money into Barca than anything else.

Signing players for stupid fees who become bit part players is what bankrupted them.

Coutinho and Dembele spring to mind.

Over 100mil each and both on whopping wages. 

No one buys a Barca shirt with their name on .

7 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Sounds like PSG is a done deal. Disappointing, tarnishes Messi’s legacy IMO, and I say that as a big fan of his

Tarnished his legacy by moving to the only club that made a proper bid for him with champions league aspirations? 

Juventus win silverware domestically with more regularity than PSG. 

12 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Bankrupted Barca... I can guarantee he alone brought more money into Barca than anything else.

Signing players for stupid fees who become bit part players is what bankrupted them.

Coutinho and Dembele spring to mind.

Over 100mil each and both on whopping wages. 

No one buys a Barca shirt with their name on .

Fair enough but still disappointed he’s joined them, he could’ve gone any club

12 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

That makes sense. Fair enough. Still... PSG though. Proper naff move. Great fans but that's where it ends for me. Bet he's a bit gutted he's having to move there. No one else can afford him. 

Agree, the French league is t0ss, PSG won league before he signed.

7 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

What do PSG have to do to break financial fair play rules? 🙂

Their owner/chairman whoever said they'd passed it this year so they've got another 3 years before they're looked into again and that they're going all out on spending to win the Champions League, so even if they fail the next investigation, winning the champions league will make it worth it

PSG basically don't give a fizz

16 hours ago, Skyline said:

Him leaving Barca was not about the money.

Him joining PSG is about them being the only club that can afford him.

These two statements are mutually contradictory.

He gets to decide which clubs can 'afford' him by deciding what salary he is willing to work for.

The fact that he's signed for literally the only club in the world willing to meet his insane salary demands suggests it is literally all about the money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

PSG now apparently need to sell quite a few to get their wages off the books, unfortunately they’re on such high wages that there are unlikely to be any takers. Same is happening at others who have paid daft wages to players they no longer want.

Problem throughout football now, particularly at the very top.

Far too many players on just mental wages, so no one will take them.

If you look at Man U, you've got De Gea on over 300k a week I think and he's not even a guaranteed starter now. No one is going to match that, absolutely no one.

Tbf, I'm all for the very biggest teams absolutely destroying themselves. Does seem though that the teams abroad, more so than the top English teams, have little appreciation of managing their finances.

Real, Barca, Juve, Inter and so forth either have well documented financial issues or have reportedly got financial issues. Remember Juve signed Ramsey up on 400k a week a few years back and have tried to get rid of him e ever since.

Bonkers.

• Like 1