SOUTHGATE OUT

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, we've won one thing  in our entire existence. 

I think it’s the fact we’re reverting back to type that’s frustrating. There’s been times under Southgate where we’ve looked like a positive attacking team. Spain away in the nations league was brilliant. If we played like that and lost in the quarters against a decent side, nobody would grumble. Flip that and, we win the shootout and, nobody would be grumbling either!

It would be a mistake to destroy what has been built up so far. Southgate and his regime for me goes way beyond what's directly on the pitch. He has changed the whole culture of the England team. He leads by example and the players play for him. The atmosphere around his squads is superb and they look focused and believe in themselves. Over the last 3 years we have played 7 knockout games and won 5 of them. I think we only won 1 knockout game this millennium before that. Yes, I know how it ended but that's top level football. Italy deserve credit, if you reach a final you will come up against the best. For me Gareth has done well and deserves to keep the process going. We have the unique situation of another major tournament in less than 18 months time. Let's go again and learn from this, what a learning curve for them all. It will stand them in good stead going forwards. Not many England players have the top level experience that some of these lads have gained. 

• Like 3

Don't blame the penalty takers at all

Just gutted for what they are having to endure from morons

It starting line up handed initiative to Italy and compounding that we didn't react when we needed to

I just thought we got our decisions wrong from line up to formation to subs

By far our most disjointed display and not just because Italy are the best team we've played - it was our shape and lack of outlets

Their keeper didn't make a save in 130 minutes

Great tournament though right to the last minute of it and for that I'm grateful

• Like 6

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Why... Did he have the laser pen? 

If he had the laser pen, he'd flash it in his own eyes.

His pen shootout record is surprisingly impressive. Shame he is so crap.

On reflection...

I've hardly thought about the loss - but i'm gutted

Truly gutted

Not because we lost - more than used to that 

Not because of the way we lost and perhaps things could have been different with different choices - hell, story of my football life...

But because we have a team of talented, spirited decent young guys led by a true leader of the utmost decency

A team that takes the knee in solidarity with those suffering racism and persecution - and even despite veiled pressure from our highest (disgusting) politicians

A team that donated it's bonuses to our cherished and under attack NHS

A team containing players who stood up to and shamed our govt into feeding starving kids

A team that sends messages of hope and positivity constantly

A team that is everything i want England to be

And they deserved so much better than this

In defeat they are utter heroes and i'm so proud

Thank you England

Thank you...

• Like 6
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

We’ll win nothing with him in charge.

Far too conservative. Let’s get to 70 minutes at 0-0 and try and win it? No Gareth, let’s be 2-0 and comfortable in the 70th minute with the array of talent that we have.

Jude Bellingham was man of the match against City in the Champions League twice. He’s by far our most talented central midfielder regardless of his Inexperience in an England shirt. Let him play!! Look at the Spanish with Pedri for example. 18 years old and, one of their best performers. So many excuses time and again but, he’s too conservative. 

Unfortunately for England, we’ve dropped on 2 decent runs at majors which mask the problems.

He's our most successful manager Since Sir Alf and the fans hounded him out too!

Football fans must be the most entitled selfish beings in the whole universe!

• Like 2

Be surprised if Southgate is not manager in Qatar (If we qualify).

Get the impression England suits him where as I don't think a major club would want to take him on.

Maybe got it wrong a bit last night but law of averages that was going to make the wrong call after getting them nearly all right before in the Tournament.

Even top managers like Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough don't have 100% record in the really big games in making the right calls.

Of course the team did well in the Euros and Sterling was our best player.

Bit fed up though of all the 'They won our hearts type stuff', all a bit OTT for my taste.

Just to try and add a bit of context, GS has delivered our 4th and 2nd best ever finishes in our entire history over the last two tournaments.

Yes he's made mistakes, but this is an exciting capable team and a genuine threat on the World stage.

Bring it home next year Gareth!

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not being funny but genuinely should have taken him for this scenario.

I mean not like Ben White or Conor Coady kicked a ball this tournament.

Makes you wonder.

Taking White was an odd one for me.

I'd have taken another striker or midfielder.

2 hours ago, scram said:

On reflection...

Truly gutted

Not because of the way we lost and perhaps things could have been different with different choices - hell, story of my football life...

But because we have a team of talented, spirited decent young guys led by a true leader of the utmost decency

A team that takes the knee in solidarity with those suffering racism and persecution - and even despite veiled pressure from our highest (disgusting) politicians

A team containing players who stood up to and shamed our govt into feeding starving kids

Thank you England

Thank you...

Fully agree. So proud of the team and how they conduct themselves. Ashamed of the scum that abuse the players and cause trouble. I knew it was coming as soon as Saka missed his spot kick and that hurts me. I love football, I just wish doing so didn't mean I was tarred with the same brush as the absolute weapons that it attracts. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, scram said:

On reflection...

Truly gutted

Thank you England

Thank you...

Lovely post.

At the end of the day, only 1 team can ever come out winners and for everyone else there will always be questions about what might have been, could we have done this or that differently. 

Ultimately 1 squad and 1 manager walk away with the plaudits and the rest have questions to answer.

The whole squad and the management team have given the country a big lift overall though and it genuinely seems like the enjoy and take pride in representing our country - this hasn't always seemed like the case in my decades of watching England.

Its sad to see today that some mindless morons have taken a good proportion of the headlines. I've seen people interviewed across media outlets saying how they live in a racist country, which is so sad for someone to say or believe. I don't believe we live in a racist country, for every idiot that feels it is big or clever to be so abhorrent there are thankfully thousands who will speak out against them. It is a worrying trend though and the political landscape in the country in recent years has led to a rise in bigoted opinions coming to the fore. I believe the players are right to continue their stance in taking a knee for something they believe in but do think this might lead to more hostility in the coming season unfortunately.     

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not being funny but genuinely should have taken him for this scenario.

I mean not like Ben White or Conor Coady kicked a ball this tournament.

What and brought him on to take a penalty, like we did with two that misses? 

4 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Southgate has openly admitted he chose the takers.

I think it all comes down to the moment, should be the 5 most confident at the time for me.

Grealish is entitled to defend himself for me, both him and Sterling getting pelters for something completely out of their control.

Agree with you on this.

Fair enough, as Southgate said, he went with the players who showed penalty taking form in practice but he should know as well as anyone that plenty rests on how the individual feels at the time. 

It certainly didn't look like Sancho or Saka were full on confidence when they stepped up. Sterling and Grealish might not have faired any better for all we know but nobody should be giving them any stick if they held their hands up but were simply not chosen, as appears to be the case. 

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Just to try and add a bit of context, GS has delivered our 4th and 2nd best ever finishes in our entire history over the last two tournaments.

Yes he's made mistakes, but this is an exciting capable team and a genuine threat on the World stage.

Bring it home next year Gareth!

He's actually had 3 with the nations league, 4th 3rd and 2nd. Next time is the big one! World Cup>>>>>>>>>>Euros lol 

• Love 1