SOUTHGATE OUT

Just now, vulva said:

What the thickos don’t realise is that if you pick all the attacking players you get picked off, by a top team. We’d have lost 4-1. Strategy was to stay in the game as long as possible. Had Rashfords penalty gone in, we’d have won it. 

Southgate has done a brilliant job, but criticizing the England manager is a national sport. 

It’s not about picking all the attacking players. He left it far too late in that second half to bring on a ball carrier to give the Italians something to think about. 

Grealish or Sancho should have been on at 60 minutes.

Managed that second half so poorly and gave the Italians confidence. England teams always play better on the front foot as the Denmark game excellently demonstrated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

What the thickos don’t realise is that if you pick all the attacking players you get picked off, by a top team. We’d have lost 4-1. Strategy was to stay in the game as long as possible. Had Rashfords penalty gone in, we’d have won it. 

Southgate has done a brilliant job, but criticizing the England manager is a national sport. 

Ive always said the same, but there comes a time in a match where you need to make the right decisions at the right time.

Have no problem with a conservative starting line up, but utilise the squad when it’s important to do so 

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

It's not about that. 

Most of the criticism I've seen on opinions of people who get football is more about sitting too deep and inviting pressure, which gives the opposition a foot hold then

There's always going to be he should have played x, y, z debates, specially with the talent currently available, but it's the refusal to change when it's not working or players or off it on the day (sterling who was mainly excellent this tournament, but couldn't get in the game, Mount who is a good player but had a poor tournament, taking Rice off despite him adding more drive yesterday) 

Just now, fudge27 said:

It's not about that. 

Most of the criticism I've seen on opinions of people who get football is more about sitting too deep and inviting pressure, which gives the opposition a foot hold then

There's always going to be he should have played x, y, z debates, specially with the talent currently available, but it's the refusal to change when it's not working or players or off it on the day (sterling who was mainly excellent this tournament, but couldn't get in the game, Mount who is a good player but had a poor tournament, taking Rice off despite him adding more drive yesterday) 

Rice was easily our MOTM, but must have been injured to come off. Moving forward, I’d have him in a back 3 with Stones and Maguire, and introduce the likes of Bellingham alongside Phillips. 

Just now, vulva said:

Rice was easily our MOTM, but must have been injured to come off. Moving forward, I’d have him in a back 3 with Stones and Maguire, and introduce the likes of Bellingham alongside Phillips. 

I wasn't against the back 3/5 but going 3-5-2 and not 3-4-3 was a mistake imo. 

We lacked that pacy outlet which meant there was more pressure on Sterling who had one of those peripheral games he has and then we went ultra defensive way too soon and had nobody to stretch or carry for us. 

Not sure rice was cooked, it was a theme him coming off in the 2nd half for Southgate. 

Be interesting how it evolves now. 

Bellingham, Greenwood, Foden (as a CM) TAA all young and in the fringes too

Just now, fudge27 said:

Be interesting how it evolves now. 

Bellingham, Greenwood, Foden (as a CM) TAA all young and in the fringes too

Yeah was thinking about this this morning, next winter we will have some good players another year older.

Southgate is only 50 too, and has been the first English manager to experience a major final in 50 odd years. Hopefully he will learn too, he seems the type to do so, if not then hopefully he can pass that experience onto the next manager.

Just now, vulva said:

The underlying issue with all this is that we aren’t quite as good as we think we are. The Premier League and all it’s glitz lulls everyone into a false sense of superiority. 

Unfortunately it's the exact opposite imo. 

We had more then enough talent on the bench yesterday. The pattern in the first half set the tone. 

Surely you get to HT at 1-0 and change to 4-4-3 or 4-2-3-1 and get 15-25 yards higher up. 

Rather then make it the alamo for 75 mins. That's tactical 

• Like 1

We have some talented players, but last night was almost like a rerun of the Croatia match. 

Early goal and yet never felt confident we could win. 

Ultimately, the better side won it. Just feels like England still lack belief in the really big moments against the top teams. I know we beat Germany, but that wasn't a German side at the top of its game. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Needs to learn that the best way to defend a lead is to increase it. We just don't have that ruthless streak at the moment.

We've been watching Wednesday tooi much mate 😆

• Haha 1

Classic England really. 

Have a bit of success (relatively speaking) and then it turns into a complete sh*show and I'm not talking about the game itself. 

What an embarrassing fallout from last night. 

So Southgate wants to stay for the WC 2022, but doesn’t want to commit to something longer than he should and outstay his welcome. That makes sense.

I have no problem with him leading us to the World Cup, but if he has a repeat choke performance tactically then we need to start looking at somebody else  

Edited by FreshOwl

He has to remain as the manager and anyone who suggests otherwise is being a bit deluded and entitled imo. 

Whether you rate him or not, he's taken us to a semi final and a final. 

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He has to remain as the manager and anyone who suggests otherwise is being a bit deluded and entitled imo. 

Whether you rate him or not, he's taken us to a semi final and a final. 

We’ll win nothing with him in charge.

Far too conservative. Let’s get to 70 minutes at 0-0 and try and win it? No Gareth, let’s be 2-0 and comfortable in the 70th minute with the array of talent that we have.

Jude Bellingham was man of the match against City in the Champions League twice. He’s by far our most talented central midfielder regardless of his Inexperience in an England shirt. Let him play!! Look at the Spanish with Pedri for example. 18 years old and, one of their best performers. So many excuses time and again but, he’s too conservative. 

Unfortunately for England, we’ve dropped on 2 decent runs at majors which mask the problems.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

That’ll be Jack done in an England shirt. 

Southgate did get a lot right but, he got it woefully wrong in the game that mattered. 

Perhaps not the smartest move from Jack tweeting that out...

Do managers normally choose all the penalty takers? Obvs you are going to have some who will absolutely have to take a pen (Kane etc), but then I always figured you see who actually fancies taking one. 

1 minute ago, 0wl18 said:

We’ll win nothing with him in charge.

Far too conservative. Let’s get to 70 minutes at 0-0 and try and win it? No Gareth, let’s be 2-0 and comfortable in the 70th minute with the array of talent that we have.

Jude Bellingham was man of the match against City in the Champions League twice. He’s by far our most talented central midfielder regardless of his Inexperience in an England shirt. Let him play!! Look at the Spanish with Pedri for example. 18 years old and, one of their best performers. So many excuses time and again but, he’s too conservative. 

Unfortunately for England, we’ve dropped on 2 decent runs at majors which mask the problems.

Tbf, we've won one thing  in our entire existence. 

Just now, SiJ said:

Perhaps not the smartest move from Jack tweeting that out...

Do managers normally choose all the penalty takers? Obvs you are going to have some who will absolutely have to take a pen (Kane etc), but then I always figured you see who actually fancies taking one. 

Southgate has openly admitted he chose the takers.

I think it all comes down to the moment, should be the 5 most confident at the time for me.

Grealish is entitled to defend himself for me, both him and Sterling getting pelters for something completely out of their control.

• Like 2