Euro 2021

Denmark have Erikkson driving them on, but we have own sense of history powering us to the final. Denmark are a good side but how many would get in our team? We’re at home with a place in the final up for grabs. I back England not to let us down this time. 

9 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Denmark have Erikkson driving them on, but we have own sense of history powering us to the final. Denmark are a good side but how many would get in our team? We’re at home with a place in the final up for grabs. I back England not to let us down this time. 

Tbf, Denmark have actually won this tournament and we haven't. 

4 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

And they didn’t even qualify for that one!

Yep. 

Still - i'm not getting too carried away with the history and destiny stuff. 

At the end of the day, we won the world cup 55 years ago and have managed to get to a few semi finals since. 

Player for player, we are the better side, but I rate this Denmark team and think we are in for a real battle on Wednesday night. 

A real togetherness with this set of players now and none of the egos of squads past. Some great players but none of the superstars and big characters like Terry, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Neville, Cole

5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

A real togetherness with this set of players now and none of the egos of squads past. Some great players but none of the superstars and big characters like Terry, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Neville, Cole

He is the only one who I would say consistently performed well for England out of that "golden" generation. 

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He is the only one who I would say consistently performed well for England out of that "golden" generation. 

Yeah he was a great player and I’m not saying that any of the players didn’t perform, just that they were high profile characters like Cole with his marriage. Terry was toxic but performed well. This squad seem very grounded and the ages of the players is key. The stars of the team like Kane and Sterling just seem real team players. 
I should have mentioned Rooney as well before. 

22 minutes ago, scram said:

I don't think Terry ever looked an international class defender for England tbh

Nowhere near his chelsea level

Just that "teflon" never got criticised and it was always somebody elses fault

Think sometimes people sleep on how important Carvalho was to Terry. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It was all about the wags as well. None of that sh ite these days 

Just think it was a bit of a toxic mix really. 

You had this team hyped up before they'd done anything and it was then beset with big personalities, big egos and the rivalries between the big clubs. 

They were a bit unlucky in Euro 2004, but by 2006 the whole thing had descended into a proper circus, with the bloody "WAGS" and all the other nonsense. 

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

Players we have now are bigger 'superstars' than them players mentioned. 

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think sometimes people sleep on how important Carvalho was to Terry. 

Absolutely

I do think Terry is one of the most overrated players we've ever had tbh - not saying he wasn't good - but not at the level he was portrayed

7 minutes ago, flo said:

Players we have now are bigger 'superstars' than them players mentioned. 

I think theres much more of a connection between these players and the fans.

Despite the fact these this generation are the highest paid players in our history. 

Their seems to be a humility about them in everything they do. 

Its refreshing. And people respond to that.

It creates a connection. 

Maybe coz of the way some of them have got where they have. Maguire battling it out in the championship to being Man utd skipper.

Henderson who seems to have been questioned his whole career till recently. Theres a  hard working ethic to many of these players and their stories.

Mebbe it int that. 

Whatever it is. They come across well.

Normal.

I think so anyroad.

Also must say the FA lot are doing their bit with the Lions Den stuff on social media. 

Engaging with fans and young supporters especislly, in a way I've certainly not seen before. 

Great to see.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

30 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Love this England side. 

We will win it this year and it’ll be fairly comfortable

Be honest Sally.

Is it the euphoria of the tournament that brought this post or have you loved this side for a while? Through qualifying etc.

Cause the amount of dont care about England, no attachement,  not arsed posts was noticeable

It's strange isn't it.  Lose to Denmark and Southgate will be roundly criticised for missing a great opportunity.  Everything is on a knife edge heading into Wednesday.  I am concerned about the feeling that Denmark have got our number after a recent win at Wembley but I think that's just my default 'can't get carried away' stance.

I have spoken to quite a few neutral fans at work (yes believe it or not there are quite a few kiwi knowledgeable fans plus a multicultural spread of other europeans etc) and most are saying us and Italy look like the strongest teams in the EURO's  by some distance.

I believe spirit and organisation will carry us through against Denmark in a tight game then my gut feeling is we will come up just short against Italy. 

I hope I'm wrong and we score a carlos alberto type goal to finish off a team move where all 11 players do rabonas and rainbow flicks before pickford finishes with aplomb with the outside of his right boot from 35 yards to complete the scoring in a 5-1 win in the final.

9 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Be honest Sally.

Is it the euphoria of the tournament that brought this post or have you loved this side for a while? Through qualifying etc.

Cause the amount of dont care about England, no attachement,  not arsed posts was noticeable

Euphoria of the tournament. 100%. 

Is anyone is else laughing at how other countries and even within ourselves the amount of people saying we haven't played that well or that we don't play good football. Am I mad? Am I used to watching Wednesday? I think we've been super and also very solid in all areas. The majority of teams that win tournaments grind it out. 

• Like 2