Euro 2021

3 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

Because we won our group. It wasn't handed to us. Having the Czechs and Croatia in our group was not an easy group. They were made to look limited by England I think and certainly looked a lot better in their other matches. 

It is the better half of the draw for sure. But would have counted for nothing if we didn't get past Germany, who I think were nowhere near as bad as some have said. Certainly good enough to dominate the Portuguese that you include in the list of teams we've managed to avoid. 

Fair enough assesment, think Portgual would have been a tough one. But Im not knocking Englands performances so far.

Ellis the troll slagged off Denmark so was giving a comparison

Just now, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Italy have Belgium  in quarters and Spain in Semi.

Swiss got stuck with France and Spain before going out.

Of the teams left in (England, Italy, Denmark and Spain) England have clearly faced the tougher opponents, as Germany are better than Belgium. We have beat the teams 2 of the others have faced that ran them close in knockouts (Czechia and Croatia)

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Fair enough assesment, think Portgual would have been a tough one. But Im not knocking Englands performances so far.

Ellis the troll slagged off Denmark so was giving a comparison

I didn’t slag off Denmark at all it was just a statement of fact who they’ve beat to reach this point (Russia, Wales, Czechia)

Worst Russian team i can remember. 

Inexperienced, Capitulating Wales, down to ten men. 

Denmark are a good side, and have momentum. 

But I'd expect us to beat them.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

4 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Worst Russian team i can remember. 

Inexperienced, Capitulating Wales, down to ten men. 

Denmark are a good side, and have momentum. 

But I'd expect us to beat them.

Could maybe see it going to extra time and finish 2-1 or 3-1 to England

19 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Could maybe see it going to extra time and finish 2-1 or 3-1 to England

I think it'll be tight. Not the cake walk some might be expecting.

And the Scandinavian teams have never been an easy ride for us. 

They're not afraid to use a big boot over the top unlike many sides, and I do think that could cause us some b'llocks if we're pressed to high.

Especially if our full backs are caught high up. I like Stones and Maguire. But I don't fancy em much when they get turned round. 

But we should have enough about us to beat em.

Think the depth of talent on our bench might be as critical as owt. 

And of course, Schmeichel no mug either.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2-0 England.

Early goal then one later on.

I’ve been a doom merchant with England all tournament and beforehand. But something changed after Germany, I don’t have the fear I usually have with this national side.

Not saying we’ll win it, as Italy will be very tough (I reckon we’d beat Spain), but we HAVE to get to the final. 

Denmark will be harder than people think, our games always are. Expect us to concede this game. 2-1 England.

Got a feeling Spain are going to do Italy tonight. Strangle the game. Feel Busquets will get an Italian sent off.

Glad to see some other posters in here sticking up for England a bit. A weak Germany, a poor Ukraine. Nobody was saying that until we made em look poor and weak were they? It was all about how dangerous they were, all about there being no easy games at this stage wasn't it? We've put 4 sides to the sword and had a blip against Scotland, its football, it happens. But don't put England down by rubbishing who we've beat, it's so annoying. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Glad to see some other posters in here sticking up for England a bit. A weak Germany, a poor Ukraine. Nobody was saying that until we made em look poor and weak were they? It was all about how dangerous they were, all about there being no easy games at this stage wasn't it? We've put 4 sides to the sword and had a blip against Scotland, its football, it happens. But don't put England down by rubbishing who we've beat, it's so annoying. 

Exactly. If we’d beaten Spain they would have said ‘it wasn’t the Spain of old’ If we’d beaten Belgium it would have been because Hazard was out and KDB was half fit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Disagree slightly about no-one looking formidable. Italy have looked very good.

Hopefully the biggest test for us and them will be the final.

True but even they were ran very close by Austria. We’re capable of beating them IMO

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

2-0 England.

Early goal then one later on.

I’ve been a doom merchant with England all tournament and beforehand. But something changed after Germany, I don’t have the fear I usually have with this national side.

Not saying we’ll win it, as Italy will be very tough (I reckon we’d beat Spain), but we HAVE to get to the final. 

My feelings exactly. 

My England watching memories go back to  Spain 1982 WC , so that's best part of 40 years disappointment and frustration. 

Even in the last World Cup, I knew we had simply been lucky with the draw and had put away poor teams. I also knew with absolute certainty that we wouldn't beat Croatia. The reason being, I knew the players wouldn't believe they could , the English lack of mental toughness woukd strike again.

Germany turned that on its head though, and then the utterly ruthless way Ukraine were despatched confirmed this team was different.  

This team genuinely believes they can win it, and I'm convinced they will comfortably beat Denmark and then it's down to one match.