Euro 2021

5 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Probably not the most talented group we have ever had.

But they play like a club side that actually know each other's abilities and have a plan rather than a collection of individual rivals that don't like each other very much.

That's an interesting comment mate, I am struggling to think of a group that had as much talent as this one when it comes to the depth of the squad.

• Like 2

Goals change games don't they, and in the last 5 minutes of the first half I was worried as they changed their shape and got on the front foot and pushed us back. That second goal just finished them and saved us from what could have been a very different second half. Kane looks like a totally different player now and three years ago we were easily the poorest team in the semi finals, this time around we are able to compete and I think will be hard to beat. That's a long way from winning it but this group has a bright future. Last time I was this optimistic was after 1990 and looked what happened then!

We have a great bunch of young hungry, athletic modern players now.

Those mentioned previously by poster, and more. 

What's even more intriguing is that the trope of an unfit English footballer,  pictured merrily boozing away days before a tournament,  seems to be over. These lads are following the modern model now of doing everything possible to be at the peak of their powers, taught by European managers, sports scientists and psychologists. It seems like we have finally caught up with other nations in this respect. 

Obviously central defence is the only area where we don't have strong depth. Stones and Maguire have had a good tournament,  better than Russia '18, but they still don't inspire total confidence for me. Maybe Rice will step back into that position, and become a proper ball playing centre halve, passing the ball like Chiellini and Bonnuci. 

As it stands though, this is a different level of England than I've seen since my memory of starts ( 1982 World Cup).

It's the organisation,  mentality and professionalism that is striking.

I thought we would struggle against Denmark,  but after last night I think we will blow them away as well.

I know we are better than Spain,  but Italy could be too strong for us. 

I'm actually contemplating England in a major final for the first time in my life ( never believed we would beat Croatia in '18)

• Like 2

Well...you've got to think he will get it right again against the Danes.

Will be a tough game that, but you would like to think the extra quality we have will see us through, plus the Wembley factor.

Never get a better chance though. Proper opportunity of a lifetime.

What a performance that was last night. Very Unenglandlike really. We absolutely blew Ukraine away and never looked in trouble, in a quarter final of a major tournament. I've seen us struggle against so called minnows in the past so watching that was an absolute joy. 

If Germany had done what we did last night everyone would be saying it was their tournament to win. We looked imperious, confident and full of fight. We were pushing for more goals at 4 nil and fighting tooth and nail to protect a clean sheet. That's how you win games. 

1 game away from a major final. All of us have seen this before, none of us can have had this much hope before though. 

What a game, what a feeling for pretty much the whole of the 2nd half. 

• Like 3

I do think Italy are a better side than us, but we have crazy momentum at the moment. 

I am worrying about the final at this point. Yes I shouldn’t get ahead of myself, but with everything considered we should really be putting Denmark to the sword too at a packed Wembley. 

So many nations crying about our ‘unfair advantage’ having most games at home. How did that work out for:

Brazil WC 2014? Embarrassed by Germany 1-7

France Euro 2016? Lost in the final 
Germany WC 2006? Lost to Italy in the SF

• Like 1

And other nations saying we had an easy route. Croatia easy? Germany easy? Czech easy? All beaten.

France couldn’t beat Switzerland, Holland couldn’t get past Czech

This is just our time. You could probably write about some unfair advantage for most teams in history along the way 

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

And other nations saying we had an easy route. Croatia easy? Germany easy? Czech easy? All beaten.

This is just our time. You could probably write about some unfair advantage for most teams in history along the way 

Both the Danes and Czechs have better European pedigree than us

Edited by Ellis Rimmer

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Both the Danes and Czechs have better European pedigree than us

I don’t think that matters. These are brand new sides and these tournaments are one off occasions at a particular moment in time - we have unity, momentum & squad depth. These are the kind of qualities that see you through 

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Where are all these nations crying about our advantage? I've seen a lot of praise for us from European sports media. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Where are all these nations crying about our advantage? I've seen a lot of praise for us from European sports media. 

Euro 2020 Twitter page in particular is full of them saying we had an easy passage and crying that we’ve played virtually every game at Wembley 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Euro 2020 Twitter page in particular is full of them saying we had an easy passage and crying that we’ve played virtually every game at Wembley 

Ah, angry Twitter opinions, pinch of salt stuff. 

The opinions from England fans on Southgate on Twitter a couple of weeks ago would have been worse. 

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It was brought up in the Welsh assembly🤣

I suspect this will count as a ‘home’ tournament for England and uefa will use that as justification for not awarding us the tournament proper any time soon.