CC

Guest Therealrealist

Carlos had to go because if you lose two playoffs the players lose confidence in you.

We now know that others were heavily influenced in recruitment, which lead to our imbalance.

Carlos never dared let the dog out because of that.

If we could have got Guedioura, things may well have been very different.

To say he was an out of the box punt from the Chairman's advisor he did incredibly well.

I love/loved 2 things about Carlos the most:

1. He's the first real big character we've had in charge since Big Ron, he had that big mentality and really got the club. He really 'lived it' and made a real attempt to understand the city.

2. Whenever we were losing, if we were playing good or bad he'd throw absolutely everything on the pitch, 'meat on the fire' as he'd say. He always had a proper go even if up until then he'd play it safe in the first half. 

I remember under Bruce when we were drawing going into the last 10 mins at home to Villa near the end of the season, needing to win to stand any chance of getting nearer the playoffs. Bruce kept it as is and we lost 3-1 with 2 goals in stoppage time. I remember at the time wishing we had a manager that would have chucked everything at it like Carlos would've. Instead he kept it to just two up top and we lost, undeservedly may I add!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

To say he was an out of the box punt from the Chairman's advisor he did incredibly well.

I love/loved 2 things about Carlos the most:

1. He's the first real big character we've had in charge since Big Ron, he had that big mentality and really got the club. He really 'lived it' and made a real attempt to understand the city.

2. Whenever we were losing, if we were playing good or bad he'd throw absolutely everything on the pitch, 'meat on the fire' as he'd say. He always had a proper go even if up until then he'd play it safe in the first half. 

I remember under Bruce when we were drawing going into the last 10 mins at home to Villa near the end of the season, needing to win to stand any chance of getting nearer the playoffs. Bruce kept it as is and we lost 3-1 with 2 goals in stoppage time. I remember at the time wishing we had a manager that would have chucked everything at it like Carlos would've. Instead he kept it to just two up top and we lost, undeservedly may I add!

Carlos was at his best when he really went for it. More often than not he'd get a positive outcome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Carlos was at his best when he really went for it. More often than not he'd get a positive outcome.

He rarely went for it from the off though, and and time went on he got more cautious, that Huddersfield away led being the prime example, he expected us to smash them at home as we did to Brighton, but if we're fair Huddersfield got a slice of luck.

bloke did well  but like most managers here once they hit a bad spell we turn on them ,the chairman/owner gets jittery  the manager comes under pressure and very few( if any )can turn it around .......

Tbf, he's probably one of the few examples of someone leaving us and really going from strength to strength. 

Didn't work at Swansea, but he's done really well since going back to Portugal. 

Clearly a talented coach and by a distance the best one we've had in the Chansiri era. 

Yes, the big spending happened during his time here, but then it appears that quite a bit of that was out of his hands. 

That first season was the best football I've seen at S6 in god knows how long. Really good side to watch. 

• Like 1

I liked Carlos but he was far from the Saint some people make out. The football turned very boring and he spent nearly 30m on Rhodes (to not use him properly), Reach, Van Aken, Abdi and Jones. He deservedly got the sack, move on. 

9 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

We would have been in league one if he had stayed the season he left. 

We were in total disarray and free fall. 

Whatever has happened since doesn’t change that. 

Not sure about that. Yes we lost his final 3 games in charge. Before that we took 11 points from the previous 7 league games with no defeats.

Things hardly turned around as a result of sacking him. We only won 2 of the next 14 games after he left.

His time had gone and his head had already been turned by the chance of a PL job but I doubt we would have gone down that season had he not been sacked. 

1 minute ago, jrh said:

I liked Carlos but he was far from the Saint some people make out. The football turned very boring and he spent nearly 30m on Rhodes (to not use him properly), Reach, Van Aken, Abdi and Jones. He deservedly got the sack, move on. 

Tbf, I'm not sure how much he had to do with most of the latter signings. 

I do agree thought that the football went very meh in his second season. Went from being one of the most exciting teams in the league, to a very functional side. In saying that, we did have a handy knack of grinding out wins and getting a decent result when it mattered. 

Just a shame that he was so negative in that play off semi final against Huddersfield. They really weren't that good a side and we should have had more than enough to see them off, particularly after we did the double over them in the league. Oh well...

3 minutes ago, jrh said:

If there is one thing we know from the Chansiri era. It's I don't think the managers are in complete control of what players come in and out of the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

If there is one thing we know from the Chansiri era. It's I don't think the managers are in complete control of what players come in and out of the club.

At that point, we had captain bellend picking the squad numbers too if you recall. 

• Haha 1