Sam Hutchinson

Sam Hutchinson  

382 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep him next season?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Hmmm not sure that is a fair assessment.

Sure he's been part of the good and the bad, but that doesn't mean he still isn't valuable? He's still been our best defender this season, played decent in the big games and contract wise isn't making a fraction of what Lees is making and likely less than Borner & Dunkley. If he was still a big earner on a long deal it would be different, but he's not? 

If we want to point fingers at individuals who have let the side down this season, he isn't on that list. Just like Bannan, Windass and one or two others he would look comfortable in a mid table team. Just like we know he has done in the past when surrounded by other decent players in a good system.

As fans as much as we want a 'total rebuild' we simply don't have the money or the set up to get one right now. Are we going to bring in 23 new players and keep only Bannan? Impossible. I'm all for sacking off players who aren't good enough, but especially at L1 standard and financially 'cheap' players like Hutchinson who clearly are good enough just make sense to keep.  Plus he has all the Semedo esc lovable intangibles, I think his presence in the dressing room would be a big miss!

However you spin it, we were 12 minutes away from finishing 21st and staying up.

Very worried if you think we weren't a better team with Hutchinson and KW this season. 

Maybe we can get conditions like this in other players going forward, like a wage deduction if they give away a penalty? Or how about they pay us money when they get sent off? Perhaps make them run 100 laps if they get beaten in the air by a player 6 inches shorter.

This ^^

23 players aren’t out of contract. Not sure if anyone has played decent in the big games bearing in mind we’ve lost them all? 
How much is he being paid? I don’t know and I can’t find the info ? 
To be clear, if we release the 15 out of contract we are left with

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Dunkley

Borner

Palmer

Luongo*

FSB

Windass

Bannan

Green*

Patterson

Adedoyin

Dawson

I would hope we could offload Luongo & Green due to their injury records but I cannot believe there are any teams out there who would pay to take them. I would happily release all 15 of those out of contract including Hutch and use the money to recruit 10 young, hungry players who don’t carry the baggage of the last few years and make space for 2 or 3 of our best youngsters. 

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

23 players aren’t out of contract. Not sure if anyone has played decent in the big games bearing in mind we’ve lost them all? 

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Dunkley

Borner

Palmer

Luongo*

FSB

Windass

Bannan

Green*

Patterson

Adedoyin

Dawson

I would hope we could offload Luongo & Green due to their injury records but I cannot believe there are any teams out there who would pay to take them. I would happily release all 15 of those out of contract including Hutch and use the money to recruit 10 young, hungry players who don’t carry the baggage of the last few years and make space for 2 or 3 of our best youngsters. 

I think realistically we have to accept things like keeping Hutchinson and taking some money for Iorfa who still has a little bit of resale value is probably the more sensible approach. 

Same With Windass. 

I don’t like it, but there’s not a chance we don’t lose a couple for paltry fees.

57 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

You literally lied about a statistic. I came back at you with fact.

If you need to lie to try and make a point I think you’re points not very solid tbh

The post I replied to said that this season would be different had the players that were frozen out been in the side all season. Since the guy that left who did the freezing out we have picked up 35 points from 35 games. Before that we had 12 points from 11 games. We have picked up less points per game since Monk left and Hutch and Westy were thawed out.

Not sure where the lie is there.

This is tricky one for me personally. We need to move on from about 95% of this squad that has got us relegated but If the terms are favourable then I think a one year deal would be worth it for Hutchinson. 

He’s one of the leaders out on the pitch and I imagine a huge influence in the dressing room.  

So long story short short...yes for one season.

12 minutes ago, 83owl said:

The post I replied to said that this season would be different had the players that were frozen out been in the side all season. Since the guy that left who did the freezing out we have picked up 35 points from 35 games. Before that we had 12 points from 11 games. We have picked up less points per game since Monk left and Hutch and Westy were thawed out.

Not sure where the lie is there.

1. You’re basically including games where Westwood (and thus can’t influence) didn’t play by manipulating the wording of your statement. 

2. Westwood and Hutchinsons didn’t have the fortune of playing with Iorfa and Luongo in the side, who are miles above what they had to be replaced with and we were massively worse off as a result.

As a ‘leader’ Hutch has had his head down as much as the rest of them this season. Let’s be honest here, where’s his leadership been? 

I have a bad feeling about giving him a new contract, that’s if he’s not already gained one through performances 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Dunkley

Borner

Palmer

Luongo*

FSB

Windass

Bannan

Green*

Patterson

Adedoyin

Dawson

Of that list, how many would you want starting in our team next season? 5, Iorfa (coming back after a torn achilles) Palmer, Windass, Bannan and Patterson? 6 including Hutchinson? Either way we need atleast 5/6 new first team players, plus others to join Green, Borner and Dunkley on the bench. Realistically signing 10+ new players in the summer is going to be a massive challenge, even with loanees and assuming we don't lose our 'star' players like Bannan and Windass. It just makes sense to keep low risk, low cost Hutchinson.

The money we'll save once the likes of Rhodes, Westwood, Reach, Lees, Harris, JVA, Odubajo have all gone i'd imagine will be huge...it's fairly well reported Rhodes/Westwood are earning around £30,000+ per week...again it just makes sense to keep the players we do already have that are still good players that are low cost. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Of that list, how many would you want starting in our team next season? 5, Iorfa (coming back after a torn achilles) Palmer, Windass, Bannan and Patterson? 6 including Hutchinson? Either way we need atleast 5/6 new first team players, plus others to join Green, Borner and Dunkley on the bench. Realistically signing 10+ new players in the summer is going to be a massive challenge, even with loanees and assuming we don't lose our 'star' players like Bannan and Windass. It just makes sense to keep low risk, low cost Hutchinson.

The money we'll save once the likes of Rhodes, Westwood, Reach, Lees, Harris, JVA, Odubajo have all gone i'd imagine will be huge...it's fairly well reported Rhodes/Westwood are earning around £30,000+ per week...again it just makes sense to keep the players we do already have that are still good players that are low cost. 

You like Hutchinson. I get that. The attitude of, just give them another year is part of the reason we are where they are now. Here’s 8 of the 10 that I believe we would be able to afford and to sign that would potentially even improve on this seasons squad. 

Elliot Moore Defender Oxford 

Liam Kelly Midfield Oxford

Serhat Taşdemir Midfield Oldham

Ben Garrity Midfield Blackpool

Daniel Ajakaiye Midfield Havant & Waterlooville 

John Marquis Striker Portsmouth 

Chuks Aneke Striker Charlton 

Ashley Hunter Striker Salford

Let’s agree to differ. Whether the club goes with new contracts for existing players or starts afresh I’m sure we both just want to see a competitive team that gives their all. WAWAW

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’m sure there are players for his cost that offer more in terms of future as well as the present. We won’t unearth the next Hutch, Lees, Bannan etc if we continue to over pay the existing ones and play them until they’re ready to retire. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

You like Hutchinson. I get that. The attitude of, just give them another year is part of the reason we are where they are now. Here’s 8 of the 10 that I believe we would be able to afford and to sign that would potentially even improve on this seasons squad. 

Elliot Moore Defender Oxford 

Liam Kelly Midfield Oxford

Serhat Taşdemir Midfield Oldham

Ben Garrity Midfield Blackpool

Daniel Ajakaiye Midfield Havant & Waterlooville 

John Marquis Striker Portsmouth 

Chuks Aneke Striker Charlton 

Ashley Hunter Striker Salford

Let’s agree to differ. Whether the club goes with new contracts for existing players or starts afresh I’m sure we both just want to see a competitive team that gives their all. WAWAW

But teams like Oxford (just going to miss out on play offs) and Portsmouth (in the playoffs) aren’t going to sell us their established first team starters without ripping us a new one financially. Where does that money come from?

Aneke and Marquis just scored 31 between them in L1 this season, I don’t know how we buy players like that I really don’t. 

Same with Elliot Moore being Oxfords captain and played every single game. 

I think he'll have triggered the extension in his contract.

Whether he and the club agree to veto that, I'm not sure.

If he has offers from other Championship clubs nearer his home, and if his current wage surpasses what we'd be wanting to pay next season, it might be in both parties interests to part ways. Who knows...

Personally, I think he'll stay, and although I was vehemently against his resigning in January, you cannot argue with his reliability since his return.

If he stays, then the club has to consider him as a centre half. That way, he's likely to play a lot more games than if played in midfield (reduction in injuries and suspensions), but also, he'll arguably be the best centre half in the division. A back three or four containing Hutchinson, Dunkley and Iorfa would be pretty formidable at League One level.

• Like 1