SWFC Last Game Survival - History...

I was in the Stag watching the results in 96 when Newsome scored a late equaliser against West Ham - whilst the other results ended up ok, I seemed to recall we were going down at one stage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Animis said:

I was in the Stag watching the results in 96 when Newsome scored a late equaliser against West Ham - whilst the other results ended up ok, I seemed to recall we were going down at one stage.

I was in Upton Park, portable radios to the ears for other scores back then. As you say, there was a stage during the game where we were in trouble but I think by the time Newsome scored we were OK anyway, though it was still a relief to make sure.

This from Derby forum, oh so funny. 
Weds will be scrapping for everything, and we’ll be paralysed by fear. We’ll lose. But will Rotherham win?? Their form says no, but it’s football, and it’s been that kinda season...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's a bloody big game now.

Thing is. When you've already got yourself a club lined up for next season, are you really going to risk that 50/50. 

We'll find out.

Same for some derby players tho?

• Like 1

Not a decider per se, but I remember playing Derby on the final game of the season and the winner would finish above the other in the lower half of the league.

Wednesday won 2-0.

Same again this Saturday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think in 2001/02 season in the last game v Wolves when Yoarth was manager we still could have gone down but needed something like a 6 goal swing against us.

Wolves scored in 2 mins but we ended up drawing 2-2.

Also stopped them getting promotion at the expense of West Brom didn't we?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think in 2001/02 season in the last game v Wolves when Yoarth was manager we still could have gone down but needed something like a 6 goal swing against us.

Wolves scored in 2 mins but we ended up drawing 2-2.

Great shout. Think it was Crewe who went down. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Same for some derby players tho?

Think they've only named one of their out of contract players in their last match day squad. Waghorn.

Don't know if others are injured or in the bomb squad.

*Edit. Just checked. Two. Edmunson was also in the squad.

Edited by Lord Snooty

1 minute ago, owls maniac said:

Great shout. Think it was Crewe who went down. 

Yeah it was Crewe, Barnsley and Stockport that went down. I don't think there was any danger of us going down with the goal difference though and we also finished above Rotherham. 

I worked with Dave Cusack's dad Ted at Thurcroft pit...a right character. Dave gave him his shirt from the Southend match and he wore it to work for the next year and got me tickets for a few matches when he found out I had gone to the match

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Didn’t we have to get a result against Boro to stay up in 2013?

We could have gone down but due to results elsewhere we would still have stayed up even if we had lost the game.

Peterborough lost at Crystal Palace 3-2 which kept us, Barnsley, Huddersfield and Millwall all up.