SWFC Last Game Survival - History...

Two others from days of old....

1928 and The Great Escape...the bottom four teams were all level on points going into the last day, we were top of those four on goal average. Any result other than a win could have sent us down. We beat Villa 2-0 at Hillsborough to finish 14th.

1951 we were bottom going into the last day with the same number of points as Chelsea. In 20th were Everton, two points ahead of us but we faced them at home on the last day. It was worked out that if Chelsea won their last game (which they did) we'd need to beat Everton by at least six clear goals to stay up. Amazingly we did beat Everton 6-0 but unfortunately Chelsea got four so we were relegated on goal average.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

The last day deciders I can remember are -

1996 v West Ham away drew 1-1

2008 v Norwich at home won 4-1

2010 v Palace at home drew 2-2

2013 v Middlesbrough at home won 2-0

Wow, I went to every one of those games.

23 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

Bout 36,000 for the Norwich game from memory.

In the end was a still but at one point we were 0-1 and down and Grant made a right save should have been 0-2

I thought we were 4 up in that game !

23 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Was it the last day in 1994/95 under Tricky when we could technically have gone down? 

Yes It was but only through a load of freak results that we could have gone down and we beat Ipswich 4-1.

23 hours ago, vulva said:

Steve Whitton v Boro

Towards end of season but I don't think it was last game of season, I'm sure we played Norwich last game losing 2-0 but we was already safe. 

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Yes It was but only through a load of freak results that we could have gone down and we beat Ipswich 4-1.

Towards end of season but I don't think it was last game of season, I'm sure we played Norwich last game losing 2-0 but we was already safe. 

Edit.... 

13 May 1989 Sheffield Wednesday v Middlesbrough W 1-0  League Division One

17 May 1989 Sheffield Wednesday v Norwich City  D 2-2  League Division One

14 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

Afternoon?

Definitely a Saturday afternoon this one 1974.

We needed to beat Bolton at home to stay up , incredibly if I remember correctly Bolton had a disallowed goal late on at 0-0 , then with 5 mins to go Ken Knighton scored the winner , I was only 9 at the time but it forever sticks in my mind , I went crazy and thought like the rest we'd won something rather than avoided relegation to div 3 .

Sadly the season after we finished bottom in what was probably Wednesday's poorest ever season.

This season isn't far behind mind you !

3 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Edit.... 

13 May 1989 Sheffield Wednesday v Middlesbrough W 1-0  League Division One

17 May 1989 Sheffield Wednesday v Norwich City  D 2-2  League Division One

Think you was right the first time , we lost 2-0 to Norwich not 2-2 .

On 05/05/2021 at 22:34, Beighton Owl 87 said:

They went one nil up early doors. Think Darren Huckerby scored for them which was also his last game for Norwich along with Dion Dublin. 

For some reason one of the only memories I have of that game is Huckerby being clear through on goal at 1-0. For some reason he decided to lay a pass to someone else who had broken clear with him. It got flagged offside when the easiest option was just to shoot for a pretty much open goal.