Throw in's and Celebrations

Not connected but saves 2 threads. 

Throw in's...... 

We still don't seem to have sussed what to do at offensive throw in's. No movement, usually only 1 option for the thrower (if Pato not on). Surely its a training ground session but we don't seem to have caused any problems from throw in's for ages. 

Celebrations.... 

When we scored on Tuesday there didn't seem to be an outpouring of enthusiasm from the players. Most just seemed to amble across to Windass and show an half hearted show of excitement. Same at full time. 

You would think they might show a teeny weeny bit of a celebration. 

I was more enthusiastic when Rovrum player got sent off and Boro scored on Wednesday. 

What's up with them?

3 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Think with the celebrations the combination of the situation we're in and the lack of fans contributes.

It's not just Wednesday I've seen it across all teams with celebrations since lockdown.

Our lot just forgot what to do

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Think with the celebrations the combination of the situation we're in and the lack of fans contributes.

It's not just Wednesday I've seen it across all teams with celebrations since lockdown.

There are plenty of teams and players that do still celebrate a lot when they score but the lack of fans has had an affect in this respect.

In our case though I think it is more to do with our situation as you say. We have dropped 30 points from winning positions this season, I think they have realised that wildly celebrating a first half goal might soon be wiped out. On this rare occasion that we actually managed to hold onto the lead the feeling at the final whistle yesterday was probably one of relief but again the realisation that it means nothing unless they can do the same again in the next 3 games. 

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There are plenty of teams and players that do still celebrate a lot when they score but the lack of fans has had an affect in this respect.

In our case though I think it is more to do with our situation as you say. We have dropped 30 points from winning positions this season, I think they have realised that wildly celebrating a first half goal might soon be wiped out. On this rare occasion that we actually managed to hold onto the lead the feeling at the final whistle yesterday was probably one of relief but again the realisation that it means nothing unless they can do the same again in the next 3 games. 

Yeah I agree.

Windass said in his interview after the game that what happened against Bristol City and others was in the back of their minds. Also they wouldn't have had any idea what Derby were doing so for all they knew it could have been almost meaningless.

Consider that the goal was in the first half, with plenty more minutes to play. Keeping celebrations to a minimum is strategic, as it allows the players to conserve their energy for the throw-ins.

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 3

Before the games behind closed doors I thought celebrations on goals were getting a bit daft.

Seemed to go on a good 5 mins ands involve all the team and sometimes the subs as well.

Got the impression the players were playing up to the cameras and proving how much they LOVED THE CLUB.

Prefer the ones now with a punch of the air a quck handshake with team mates and get back on with the game.

9 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Our throw ins in the opposition half have been painfully poor for two or three years. It's bizarre.

Our throw ins are stuck in the 20th century. They currently go like this:-

Not in an attacking position - slowly plod over, wait for a big guy to make their way over, wave arms a bit, throw it, head it on maybe, opposition get the ball back.

In attacking position - throw it long.

I think a long throw can be effective, buy with everything it needs a plan rather than throw and hope. Plus our guy that throws it is one of a limited number that can head a ball.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S63 Owl said:

We don’t seem to have been a threat from throw-ins since we had Antonio launching them into the box. 

Think the fact we had players like Rob Jones, Reda, Danny Batth, Madine, COG and Lllera probably helped that.

Now we've got Tom Lees..... Borner ..... that's it and i wouldn't say they're a massive threat from throw-ins and set pieces.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A47Owl said:

Not connected but saves 2 threads. 

Throw in's...... 

We still don't seem to have sussed what to do at offensive throw in's. No movement, usually only 1 option for the thrower (if Pato not on). Surely its a training ground session but we don't seem to have caused any problems from throw in's for ages. 

Celebrations.... 

When we scored on Tuesday there didn't seem to be an outpouring of enthusiasm from the players. Most just seemed to amble across to Windass and show an half hearted show of excitement. Same at full time. 

You would think they might show a teeny weeny bit of a celebration. 

I was more enthusiastic when Rovrum player got sent off and Boro scored on Wednesday. 

What's up with them?

They read Owlstalk and know they are going to lose...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, S63 Owl said:

We don’t seem to have been a threat from throw-ins since we had Antonio launching them into the box. 

I think a lot of the celebration of goals has gone with there being no crowds at present. 

Case closed 

Pretty sure there were complaints about over exuberant celebrations because of COVID. Plus as above no fans to buzz off probably doesn’t help. I don’t celebrate goals much either as it’s not quite the same sat on your iPad in your bedroom. Plus I assume we will concede anyway so not much point getting too excited. 

As for throw in’s we’ve scored one goal from a throw in this season. Our ‘offensive’ throw ins are so poor we may as well just throw the ball to one of our player to boot straight out for the opponents to have the throw. Needs work. 

16 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agreed.  No point in wild celebrations with our record of capitulating.  

It's embarassing watching players cupping their ears and sliding to the corner flag. There's nobody there !