Jack Marriott- Number 9

I was browsing the online shirt auction after the Norwich game and it dawned on me, Jack Marriott is wearing the ‘coveted’ Number 9 shirt. I know I should have spotted it before but have seen so little of him I hadn’t noticed. 
So, it made me wonder, have we ever had a Number 9 who hasn’t scored at all for the club?

Have any clubs? Not where the player has been injured but where the player has been available but so ineffective as a player that they haven’t scored a single goal?

I sincerely hope the bloke gets at least one in the onion bag! 

And for the record, I am indeed trying to buy his shirt at the auction.

UTO!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I was browsing the online shirt auction after the Norwich game and it dawned on me, Jack Marriott is wearing the ‘coveted’ Number 9 shirt. I know I should have spotted it before but have seen so little of him I hadn’t noticed. 
So, it made me wonder, have we ever had a Number 9 who hasn’t scored at all for the club?

Have any clubs? Not where the player has been injured but where the player has been available but so ineffective as a player that they haven’t scored a single goal?

UTO!

When considering your bid remember to deduct any dry cleaning costs you had budgeted for.

• Haha 3

A few players become associated with relegations.  Players who were important signings and simply did not perform and their lack of performance contributed to relegation.  For us, the list includes:

Gilles de Bilde

Daryll Powell

Francis Jeffers

Darren Purse

You can add Marriot and Kachunga to the list.  Forwards we signed to replace Nuhiu, Forestieri, Fletcher, and have scored 0 goals between them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

UTO!

The “coveted “ number nine shirt and goals isn’t really a thing with squad numbers...

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

A few players become associated with relegations.  Players who were important signings and simply did not perform and their lack of performance contributed to relegation.  For us, the list includes:

Gilles de Bilde

Daryll Powell

Francis Jeffers

Darren Purse

You can add Marriot and Kachunga to the list.  Forwards we signed to replace Nuhiu, Forestieri, Fletcher, and have scored 0 goals between them.

Marriott ? Does he really exist he has been awol all season. 

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

UTO!

Ironically...Rotherham’s number 9 George hirst!

• Haha 4

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

He’s shocking. Him and Kachunga are up there with the worst players to play for us since bothroyd, and Jeffers. They literally offer nothing. 

Even those two weren't as bad ability wise, both were capped by England. Bothroyd couldn't be bothered and it was disrespectful and Jeffers was a crock... but both had more quality than Kachunga and Marriott who just don't have what it takes

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Gilles de Bilde

Daryll Powell

Francis Jeffers

Darren Purse

I dont think Marriot can be lumped into the same bracket as those. Its not like he has had a run of games and been dire for 90mins and missed chance after chance in each one of them. Its all fits and starts, thrown on with no plan when losing or similar. There are reported issues with him outside of football, so Ill give him some slack.

Kachunga on the other hand.. wowzers.

But to fair on all of them.. Kanchunga, Paterson and Windass are NOT strikers..

Throwing a team of misfits together in a -12 (at the time) season was always going to be an absolute disaster.

Doesnt help when we dont play to an ideology, have 4 managers in a season and they regularly dont paid on time.

Fletcher was always going to be  impossible to replace and Nuhiu was so unique that in a way what he brought can never be replaced.

I personally think its the footballing brain of Fletcher and Nuhiu that we miss

Despite what anyone says about Nuhiu, he had something about him. 

Just rewatched that Leeds away game, the ball through for Murphy, and the peeling away from his marker for his goal are little dashes of quality that we sadly lack throughout the team at the moment.

1 minute ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Kim Olsen was our No9 during the 2003-04 season. Don't recall him scoring for us either.

Yep. Just looked it up. 12 games, no goals. Maybe the shirt is cursed? Guess I’ll find out once I buy it!

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Gilles de Bilde

Daryll Powell

Francis Jeffers

Darren Purse

To be fair bit unfair to expect them to have delivered. They were just shirt fillers. Neither fit the way we wanted to play and they weren’t signed with a particular plan in mind. It was like ‘quick we need a striker, he’s available he’ll do’.

Unsurprised that neither have scored a goal.