Jack Marriott- Number 9

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

To be fair bit unfair to expect them to have delivered. They were just shirt fillers. Neither fit the way we wanted to play and they weren’t signed with a particular plan in mind. It was like ‘quick we need a striker, he’s available he’ll do’.

Unsurprised that neither have scored a goal. 

It really shows up the shambolic recruitment that happens here. 
Sometimes it’s better to have no one than the wrong person because you at least have the chance of signing the right person at the next window. We literally might as well have not signed Marriott at all. It’s not like it’s even been good for the player! He must have hated his time here. 

I hope he gets at least one goal before the season ends! But mainly I hope he gets a haircut. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It really shows up the shambolic recruitment that happens here. 
Sometimes it’s better to have no one than the wrong person because you at least have the chance of signing the right person at the next window. We literally might as well have not signed Marriott at all. It’s not like it’s even been good for the player! He must have hated his time here. 

I hope he gets at least one goal before the season ends! But mainly I hope he gets a haircut. 

Pulis made it clear. Sometimes you don’t get your initial targets so you end up signing players you don’t really need. 

Honestly one of the young lads would have been worth trying instead of signing Kachunga and Marriott. God knows what we’re paying them for their contribution. 

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Pulis made it clear. Sometimes you don’t get your initial targets so you end up signing players you don’t really need. 

Honestly one of the young lads would have been worth trying instead of signing Kachunga and Marriott. God knows what we’re paying them for their contribution. 

The most bizarre thing is, at many points in the season we have given Marriott or Kachunga a starting place while Rhodes cooled his heels on the bench! The result? 25 goals in 35 games. Utter garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The number 9's since Hirst left:

We had a season without a  number 9 then Sibon took it in Prem, who switched to 8 next season and then Booth (de Bilde took 10 in the first year out of Prem), Ripley, Ekoku, Kuqi, Holt, Olsen, MacLean, Jeffers, Heffernan, O'Grady, Madine, Nuhiu (15/16), Reach (16/17), Fletcher (17-20) and Marriott

Not many successes there. Only big success is MacLean and thats League 1 

48 minutes ago, modboy said:

we were warned re Kachunga but many just said it was sour grapes from Hudds fans.

Really should have done everything to keep Nuhiu 

I am pretty confident that if we had kept Nuhiu we would have at least a dozen more points.  One of our most under appreciated players in recent memory.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Marriot ran the full gamut of his skills yesterday from A to B

You are very quick to condemn...what was your view about Lucas J when he was here?

Slow burner but now probably the best striker in the Championship.

Marriot has already done it and needs time.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

You are very quick to condemn...what was your view about Lucas J when he was here?

Funnily enough given I’m trying to buy the blokes shirt and starting threads about him I did watch his highlights reel of goals and assists. He clearly knows how to score, even the step up the championship football shouldn’t stop him being able to score at least a few (he has scored 10 at Derby). 
We just seem to sign the least appropriate players possible. Square pegs in round holes, destroy their confidence and never let them get it back. 
Ironically Marriott would probably be awesome in L1. 

As for the Jao comparison I always loved Jao. You could see he had it in him. Just needed to be the main man at a club and get given the right coaching. Also not exactly our specialty!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I am pretty confident that if we had kept Nuhiu we would have at least a dozen more points.  One of our most under appreciated players in recent memory.

I am sure we would be better off if we had kept him. Luton would have been a win and I would think there would be another half a dozen games where we would have picked up a draw or win just with him coming off the bench to bully tiered defenders. Just another balls up to stick on the increasingly lengthy list...

Also if I was bidding for his shirt at a charity auction it would at least fit me!

On 15/03/2021 at 15:11, CircleSeven said:

Funnily enough given I’m trying to buy the blokes shirt and starting threads about him I did watch his highlights reel of goals and assists. He clearly knows how to score, even the step up the championship football shouldn’t stop him being able to score at least a few (he has scored 10 at Derby). 
We just seem to sign the least appropriate players possible. Square pegs in round holes, destroy their confidence and never let them get it back. 
Ironically Marriott would probably be awesome in L1. 

As for the Jao comparison I always loved Jao. You could see he had it in him. Just needed to be the main man at a club and get given the right coaching. Also not exactly our specialty!

I agree about LJ...he's a top man now, just needed time to get his shït together and now he feels loved.

As for Mariott, he needs to have a period completely injury free and if he if given the opportunities he will become a prolific scorer in the Championship.

6 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

I agree about LJ...he's a top man now, just needed time to get his shït together and now he feels loved.

As for Mariott, he needs to have a period completely injury free and if he if given the opportunities he will become a prolific scorer in the Championship.

Marriott could be good in the Championship if played in the right system. But not all players do make it. If not he could still have a 6+ year career scoring by the hatful in L1. Not the worst job in the world!

• Like 1

On 15/03/2021 at 11:00, mcmigo said:

A few players become associated with relegations.  Players who were important signings and simply did not perform and their lack of performance contributed to relegation.  For us, the list includes:

Gilles de Bilde

Daryll Powell

Francis Jeffers

Darren Purse

You can add Marriot and Kachunga to the list.  Forwards we signed to replace Nuhiu, Forestieri, Fletcher, and have scored 0 goals between them.

Bit harsh on Powell, who didn't play that badly. I'd associate Leon Knight and Beswetherick with that shambles more than anyone else. 

For terrible No 9s, completely agree with Kim Olsen... and did Enoch Showumni wear the No 9 for us too?

On 15/03/2021 at 07:00, mcmigo said:

A few players become associated with relegations.  Players who were important signings and simply did not perform and their lack of performance contributed to relegation.  For us, the list includes:

Gilles de Bilde

Daryll Powell

Francis Jeffers

Darren Purse

You can add Marriot and Kachunga to the list.  Forwards we signed to replace Nuhiu, Forestieri, Fletcher, and have scored 0 goals between them.

Yeah, but remember Nuhiu was poo and easy to replace. 

On 15/03/2021 at 14:35, Hougoumont said:

Lucas was talented but inconsistent. Marriott has shown absolutely nothing since he got here.

As for Championship production,  a quick squiz at Wikipedia suggests Marriott's scored 10 goals in 83 appearances at this level, and 3 in 48 in the last two seasons. I'm sure he's a lovely lad but he's not up to it.

On 15/03/2021 at 14:08, i used to be sc_owl said:

Nuhiu is worth 12 points a season 😂